NO more twists! Horrible experience.

nijilah

I had kinky twists, which the hairdresser said that I could leave in for up to 12 weeks. I decided to take them out at 6 weeks because I decided that I didn't want my hair like that for my wedding.

My hair was matted to the twists! Plus, I had a lot of knots that my Mom cut out of my hair. My Mother kept on fussing that she told me not to do this to my hair because everyone's hair can't take synthetic braids, etc... (the "I told you so" syndrome).

My hair was moisturized from roots to the ends so that means that the braid spray was working. Now, the problem is that my ends are thin! They are thin to about 2 inches up! When I looked at them, I didn't see any split ends. Also, I was told that you should trim your hair when you take out braids, but what is the point if you don't have split ends!? And why are my ends thin?

My hair just doesn't look the same. Does it take time for your hair to adjust outside of the braids? I clarified, deep conditioned, proteined, oiled, and my hair is extra soft but frizzy and funny looking.

I am trying not to be discouraged, but it seems like a setback. My Mom cut out a ton of knots but you can't tell because I have enough hair to cover that up.

What is the problem? I watched the lady do my hair and I thought that she was gentle and didn't comb hard nor pull my hair too tight. Is it possible that my hair is just not made for synthetic hair?

Yes, this was my first time using extentions or wearing twists/braids with extentions.

Any suggestions or comments...PLEASE!!!

Lucia

I'm sorry you had to go through this, but it may be the synthetic hair or it may be that your hair can't take the actual twisting. I know I can't and won't do certain things b/c my hair is soo curly like micro-braids etc... I would never get my hair out.
just do your regime, and wear protective styles, or a phonytail, deep condition, I would suggest doing Aphogee protein treatment and balancing conditioner to help with the thinness.
Keep your head up, you will get though this.
hth

sweetcocoa

I believe some of us(me included) can't wear braids. I had synthetic and human hair and both times I had problems. I was told my hair was too fine for braids and not to wear them(cornrows are okay) for very long because they would ruin my hair. I really liked your twists...they were so cute on you. I was thinking about getting some myself....but now I will not since you had such a bad experience with them. I would just go ahead and get a trim(not the whole 2 inches...but just an inch). Even that samll amount will look healthy. At least you didn't loose a lot more hair(imagine if you had left them in as long as she recommended!
). This is a lesson you got off easy because some ladies loose alot more hair and it is very noticable. I'm sure what ever you do your hair will look beautiful for your upcoming wedding.

nijilah

My Mom also said that my hair is too fine for twists or braids. I told my Mom that my hair can't be thick and fine, but she disagreed. (she was right, but I didn't tell her that).

I wore cornrolls all last summer with only my own hair and I got about 3/4 inch per month so that is ok.

I am trying to look at the positive side that I could have lost a ton of hair! And if I would have kept the twists in the whole 12 weeks, my Mom would have cut my hair down to an inch or 2, because the matting would have been excessive.

I think that I will comb and inch and just go back to my old rountine. Since it is summer and I have no choice but to wear protective styles with this bush of hair, I should re-grow the length in no time. And once the end of the summer arrives, my hair will be even longer than before.

Thanks for the encouragement EVERYONE!!!

Blackndiangirl

I have been threw the same thing. I got braids once, and my hair couldnt not take it, it did the same thing yours did. I decided that my hair cant take braids. Im sorry you had to go threw this.

Vitamins:
Childrens Vitamin
Vitamin E
Niacin
Protein Shake
Hair Fare(a dietary supplment for hair)

My goal is to grow my natural to my waist.

nijilah

Thanks for your encouragement everyone. I will just deep condition, deep condition, and deep condition... I will get the courage to trim a little more than usual until the ends thicken up again. Well, at least I know not to do it again. If I didn't do it, I would have eventually tried to do it and may have lost a lot more hair. I can get back 1-2 inches in no time during these warm summer months and no one will notice that I had even lost hair --- except for my fiancee and Mother who just won't let it go.

LadyDee

I'm so sorry! I know how traumatic unexpected hair loss can be. Braids of any kind have to put in correctly. The way they are started has a lot to do with the amount of stress on your hair. I wore individuals for a little while. The first time was a disaster. Lots of hair loss. And as the braids age and new growth occurs, the braids themselves will start to twist and you have to diligently untwist them or the new growth will mat and start to loc.
The last time I had individuals was great. The braiders starts each individual as a cornrow. Very small. This keeps the stress off the braid, they don't fall out (you've seen lost braids on the street
) and best of all they don't twist.
As for why the ends appear thin, did your braider do a "clean up?" Trim the frizzies with scissors when she was done? I stopped my braider from doing this. They really can't detect the synthetic from the natural and everything gets trimmed together.

Hope all is well and your hair growth goes crazy!

Kitkat

Hang in there, Nijilah! I'm sorry that you had this bad experience, but since your hair grows so quickly and you have a lot of hair it won't be too noticeable. Like the others said, maybe your hair just can't take braids and twists. I'm sure your hair will be beautiful for your wedding.