Nobody's Concerned About The New Virus Out Of China?

Discussion in 'News - Breaking News & Political Forum' started by Black Ambrosia, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Black Ambrosia

Black Ambrosia Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    United States reports 15th case of coronavirus after a person under quarantine tests positive

The Centers for Disease Control said on Thursday that a person under quarantine at a military base in San Antonio had tested positive for the virus, bringing the number of confirmed coronavirus patients in the United States to 15.

The person, who was not identified, arrived at the base last week on a State Department-chartered flight and is now being treated in isolation at a hospital in the area.

The patient is the third person under quarantine to test positive, joining two people at a base in San Diego who were confirmed to have the virus this week. In its statement announcing the case, the C.D.C. said that there would likely be more cases over the next few days and weeks.

More than 600 people who left Wuhan after the outbreak began remain under required quarantine at military bases in the United States.

Laela, Queenie and CocoGlow like this.
  2. Black Ambrosia

Blog Posts:
    Number of cases in Hubei Province soars with new diagnostic methods

The number of people confirmed to have the coronavirus in Hubei Province skyrocketed by 14,840 cases, to 48,206, the government said on Thursday, setting a new daily record. The announcement came after the authorities changed the diagnostic criteria for counting new cases.

Nationally, the new figures propelled the total number of coronavirus cases in China to 59,805 and the death toll to 1,367. The jump in new cases puts extra pressure on the government to treat thousands of patients, many of whom are in mass quarantine centers or in isolation facilities.

The sudden uptick is a result of the government including cases diagnosed in clinical settings, including with the use of CT scans, along with those confirmed with specialized testing kits.

After the sudden change, epidemiologists warned that the true picture of the epidemic is muddled, since accurately tracking cases can tell experts the number, location and speed at which new infections are occurring.

Health experts said the change in reporting was meant to provide a more accurate view of the transmissibility of the virus. The new criteria is intended to give doctors broader discretion to diagnose patients, and more crucially, isolate patients to quickly treat them.

Previously, infections were confirmed only with a positive result from a nucleic acid test. But a government expert said those tests were about 30 to 40 percent accurate. There is also a shortage of testing kits, and the results of these tests take at least two days.

Because hospitals were overstretched and lacked testing kits, many infected patients were told to go home rather than be isolated and undergo treatment.

Many patients displaying symptoms of the coronavirus have complained that they had to wait days, and even weeks, to be tested and receive treatment. Others, including the recently deceased whistle-blower Dr. Li Wenliang, said they had to be tested four or five times before the tests showed a positive result.

Queenie and CocoGlow like this.
  3. Black Ambrosia

Blog Posts:
    A second resident reporting inside Wuhan has disappeared

A video blogger in the city of Wuhan who had been documenting conditions at overcrowded hospitals at the heart of the outbreak has disappeared, raising concerns among his supporters that he may have been detained by the authorities.

The blogger, Fang Bin, is the second citizen journalist in the city to have gone missing in a week after criticizing the government’s response to the coronavirus epidemic. The disappearances come as Chinese authorities have clamped down on the news media and the internet in an effort to control the narrative about the escalating crisis.

Mr. Fang began posting videos from hospitals in Wuhan on YouTube last month, including one that showed a pile of body bags in a minibus. In early February, Mr. Fang said in a video message that he had been briefly detained and questioned. A few days later, he filmed an exchange he had with strangers who showed up at his apartment claiming to bring him food.

Mr. Fang’s last video, posted on Sunday, was a message written on a piece of paper: “All citizens resist, hand power back to the people.”

Gao Fei, a resident of a neighboring city who is part of a chat group formed by Mr. Fang on WeChat, the Chinese social media app, said he heard from another member of the group that Mr. Fang was taken away from his apartment by plainclothes officers on Monday. The account could not immediately be verified.

Last week, Chen Qiushi, a citizen journalist and lawyer in Wuhan who recorded the plight of patients and the shortage of hospital supplies, vanished, according to his friends.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 7:42 PM
  4. LavenderMint

LavenderMint Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    At first I was skeptical but the continuing disappearances makes me think it really is worse than China is saying. These citizen journalists can’t be the only ones badmouthing the situation but they’re some of the only ones honestly documenting how terrible it is.

chocolat79, SoniT, CocoGlow and 4 others like this.
  5. Laela

Laela Sidestepping the "lynch mob"

Blog Posts:
    I have to keep in mind that China is the most populous country in the entire world. :yep:
    This chart is interesting.... or am I reading it wrong? Population control?? :look:

upload_2020-2-13_22-32-13.png

[​IMG]

6. Queenie

Queenie Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    You are reading the chart correctly, that is why China ended the one child policy a couple of years ago. Japan and Europe are having similar issues, due to people not having enough children.

7. NijaG

NijaG Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    The chart is right. I've also read stats on the issue as @Queenie said.

Not surprised with China. Think about it.... It takes two people (male and female) to create child. If all you are allowed to have is one child plus the added fact of baby gender discrimination (aborting or throwing away baby girls) at some point the population growth is going to decline.

8. Mitzi

Mitzi Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I believe the severity is being under reported. The other day, I waited more than an hour for an update on the virus when it was being said there was bad news. It never came as it was all about Trump.

9. itsallaboutattitude

itsallaboutattitude Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I find it interesting that they keep saying December in these recent news reports.

In November, a group iMessage I was invited to this article was sent. You can see the date of the article is 11/13/2019 and I received the message the same day.

Group member: “The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention said on Weibo, the microblogging site, that there was no need for Beijing residents to panic and that the risks of further transmission are ‘extremely low.’” I hope so, and also know that’s what the Russians said about the impact of Chernobyl.

My response: Exactly. I read the article and they were from the country and got treatment in the city. Supposedly, everyone they came in contact they know who they were and they are okay. I don’t believe a word.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/13/world/asia/plague-china-pneumonic.html

Laela, Queenie and Kitamita like this.
  10. Black Ambrosia

Blog Posts:
    Trading quarantines, Americans from cruise land in US
    TRAVIS AIR FORCE BASE, CALIF. —

Two charter flights carrying cruise ship passengers from Japan landed at military bases in California and Texas overnight, starting the clock on a quarantine period to ensure passengers don't have the new virus that's been spreading in Asia.

A plane carrying American passengers touched down at Travis Air Force Base in Northern California just before 11:30 p.m. Sunday, local time. A second flight arrived at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas around 2 1/2 hours later, early Monday.

Japan's Defense Minister Taro Kono had tweeted earlier that Japanese troops helped transport 340 U.S. passengers on 14 buses from Yokohama port to Tokyo's Haneda airport. About 380 Americans were on the cruise ship.

The U.S. said it arranged the evacuation because people on the Diamond Princess were at a high risk of exposure to the virus. For the departing Americans, the evacuation cuts short a 14-day quarantine that began aboard the cruise ship Feb. 5.

The State Department announced later that 14 of the evacuees received confirmed they had the virus but were allowed to board the flight because they did not have symptoms. They were being isolated separately from other passengers on the flight, the U.S. State and Health and Human Services said in a joint statement.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, said Sunday that an infected person who shows minimal symptoms could still pass the virus to someone else.

After arriving in the U.S., all of the passengers must go through another 14 days of quarantine at the military facilities — meaning they will have been under quarantine for a total of nearly four weeks.

Australia, Canada, Hong Kong and Italy were planning similar flights of passengers. Other governments, including Canada and Hong Kong, also will require the passengers to undergo a second 14-day quarantine.

Japan on Monday announced another 99 infections on the Diamond Princess, raising the ship's total number of cases to 454. Overall, Japan has 419 confirmed cases of the virus, including one death. The United States has confirmed 15 cases within the country. Separately, one U.S. citizen died in China.

Americans Cheryl and Paul Molesky, a couple from Syracuse, New York, opted to trade one coronavirus quarantine for another, leaving the cruise ship to fly back to the U.S. Cheryl Molesky said the rising number of patients on the ship factored into the decision.

"We are glad to be going home,” Cheryl Molesky earlier told NHK TV in Japan. “It’s just a little bit disappointing that we’ll have to go through quarantine again, and we will probably not be as comfortable as the Diamond Princess, possibly.”

She sent The Associated Press a video of her and her husband boarding the plane with other Americans.

“Well, we're exhausted, but we're on the plane and that's a good feeling. Pretty miserable wearing these masks though, and everybody had to go to the bathroom on the bus,” she said.

Some American passengers said they would pass up the opportunity to fly to the United States because of the additional quarantine. There also was worry about being on a long flight with other passengers who may be infected or in an incubation period.

One of the Americans, Matthew Smith, said in a tweet Sunday that he saw a passenger with no face mask talking at close quarters with another passenger. He said he and his wife scurried away.

“If there are secondary infections on board, this is why,” he said. "And you wanted me to get on a bus with her?”

He said the American health officials who visited their room was apparently surprised that the couple had decided to stay, and wished them luck.

“Thanks, but we’re fine,” Smith said he told them.

CocoGlow and Queenie like this.
  11. Iwanthealthyhair67

Iwanthealthyhair67 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:

Even with the band lifted the average family is still only having one child, the government had actually beginning encouraging folk to have more children it seems like people just aren't interested.

intellectualuva, CocoGlow and Laela like this.
  12. vevster

vevster Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I caved and just ordered. I kept obsessing about having it. I’m taking a bottle to work.

13. Laela

Laela Sidestepping the "lynch mob"

Blog Posts:
    OK..this is sickening, no pun intended.... I'm not sure to the validity of this woman's health but the idea of someone doing this - anywhere - isn't far-fetched. I'll take the stairs!

14. kikigirl

kikigirl Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Truly evil!

Kitamita and Laela like this.
  15. intellectualuva

intellectualuva Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I know Zombie movies are fiction, but ometimes I wonder if there are viruses or something that can compel you to spread them from host to host. Not in the traditional way of coughs, but stuff like this.

I'm carrying wet wipes everywhere in addition to hand sanitizer.

Laela and Peppermynt like this.
  16. vevster

vevster Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    More preventative from a source I respect.... I use the bolded

I need to be more consistent with the D and Zinc ---- I really saw a difference when I started with Selenium...

Queenie and Reinventing21 like this.
  17. Reinventing21

Reinventing21 Spreading my wings

Blog Posts:

What in the entire #%@#% ???!!!!! Omg! Why??!?!!!!