Non-Biblical Quote

Nice & Wavy

Someone quoted something to me and said it's in scripture but she couldn't find it when I asked her to show it to me. It's amazing how many people actually do this, so I want to have a little fun with this and see what you may have heard too:

What's your favorite Non-Biblical quote that people attribute to the Bible?

The one that was quoted to me is:
God helps those who helps themselves.

Another one I've heard people say is:

Do unto others before they do unto you.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Jenaee said:
"Cleanliness is next to Godliness"

Who shall ascend into His holy place? He that have 'clean hands' and a pure heart. (Psalm 24)

Shimmie

Staff member
gn1g said:
if you make one step God will make two.

Ephesians 3: He will do exceedingly above and beyond you could ever ask or think... :lol:

Shimmie

Staff member
Nice & Wavy said:
Someone quoted something to me and said it's in scripture but she couldn't find it when I asked her to show it to me. It's amazing how many people actually do this, so I want to have a little fun with this and see what you may have heard too:

What's your favorite Non-Biblical quote that people attribute to the Bible?

The one that was quoted to me is:
God helps those who helps themselves.

Another one I've heard people say is:

Do unto others before they do unto you.

Okay, I'm going to take 'try' at yours too... :lol:

"Why sit we here till we die?..." (The lepers whom the prophet healed in I Kings).

With your second one... I'm thinking of David knocking down Goliath before Goliath stood a chance...'

Just having fun.... :lol: I love your thread... I couldn't think of anything else right off the bat. But you know I'll be back...

((( hugs ))) :lol:

Nice & Wavy

Shimmie said:
Okay, I'm going to take 'try' at yours too... :lol:

"Why sit we here till we die?..." (The lepers whom the prophet healed in I Kings).

With your second one... I'm thinking of David knocking down Goliath before Goliath stood a chance...'

Just having fun.... :lol: I love your thread... I couldn't think of anything else right off the bat. But you know I'll be back...

((( hugs ))) :lol:

I know you will! :grin:

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Eve ate the apple
(Fruit)

Jonah and the whale
(Fish)

When the praises go up, the blessings come down
(?)

Money is the root of all evil
(For the love of ... - 1 Timothy 6:10)

Shimmie

Staff member
victorious said:
Eve ate the apple
(Fruit)

Jonah and the whale
(Fish)

When the praises go up, the blessings come down
(?)

Just where DID that 'apple' came from.... :lol: For years I have wondered about this. :lol:

myco

Shimmie said:
Just where DID that 'apple' came from.... :lol: For years I have wondered about this. :lol:

I'll take a stab at this one:

Maybe way back in the day, as Christianity was spreading out from the Middle East, someone said/taught that the fruit that Eve picked was a pomegranate. The word "pomegranate" translates to "apple with many seeds" in Old English/French. Pomegranates are very common in places like the Meditteranean, Iran, and India, etc. But people in Medieval Europe had no frame of reference for this fruit, so maybe over time, they fixated on the part of the translation they understood (apple) and forgot the rest.

Shimmie

Staff member
myco said:

Maybe way back in the day, as Christianity was spreading out from the Middle East, someone said/taught that the fruit that Eve picked was a pomegranate. The word "pomegranate" translates to "apple with many seeds" in Old English/French. Pomegranates are very common in places like the Meditteranean, Iran, and India, etc. But people in Medieval Europe had no frame of reference for this fruit, so maybe over time, they fixated on the part of the translation they understood (apple) and forgot the rest.

Hmmmmm, that makes very good sense. :yep: I like that 'apple of many seeds.'

And I :love: love pomegranates.

This is a wonderful thread. We're all learning something. I know I am. I started out being 'playful', but look at the wisdom coming forth from everyone. ;)

Now here's a big one. Jesus died on a Friday and rose on a Sunday 'morn'.

Even God can't get 72 hours from Friday to Sunday. According to scripture, the 'Sabbath' mentioned is the Passover Sabbath.

Which started Sundown Wednesday and ended Sundown Saturday as when all Sabbaths end. Yet we grew up in Churches and never 'questioned' the validity of this. I mean, "Jesus is the Passover Lamb"...

Oh, thank God for mercy that carries us through 'ourselves.' :lol:

Somebody give God a praise. No matter what, and no matter what anyone has said or will say... we can never ever stop...

:notworthy STILL Can't stop Praising God...

And I'm back again...

And again.... Bless His Holy Name...

kbragg

God hates the sin but not the sinner...

or

God loves the sinner but not the sin...

I like how Ray Comfort put it.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-815413473552516092&q

(22:30)

He was open air preaching the Gospel and a transvestite (sp?) responded with "....and I know, that God loves the sinner, but He hates the sin..."

Ray said: "Where did you hear that? It's not Biblical. That's something we say so we don't offend homosexuals but the Bible doesn't say that.":lol:

As far as the one "God helps those who helps themselves." Definately not Biblical. Very WORKS based...

dreamer26

Try the spirit by the spirit.

Close but NOT

1 John 4:1 says, Beloved believe not every spirit but try the spirits whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world. (KJV)

How are you going to try a spirit by a spirit if you are already questioning the spirit in the first place.

If you going to try a spirit you better try it by the WORD of God, if it don't line up with the WORD, dismiss it.

Good thread

Glib Gurl

This is a funny thread! Here are some I've heard . . .

Trust in God, but wear your seatbelt. (Okay, I ain't gonna front. I live by that one!)

What goes around comes around. (My parents swear this is in the Bible, but I don't think so. I mean, perhaps it can be derived from the idea that "that which you sow ye shall also reap"?)

When God closes a door, He opens a window. (I like that idea, but yeah, I don't think its scriptural. Plus, being a smart alecky little kid, I used to always think, "Well, wait - a window is smaller than a door. Why would God do that?" :lol: )

matuncks

(For the love of ... - 1 Timothy 6:10)[/QUOTE]

I get so tired of correcting people on this very simple quote, by saying "money in and of itself cannot do anything". It's very frustrating when people deflect blame for their own actions.

Nice & Wavy

I did post this to have some fun with it, but also to allow our hearts to search further into the Word of God. I see it has worked. You ladies are awesome.:p

I did this with one of my workshops and the people were the same....searching the Word for help and laughing hysterically at some of the sayings that they have heard people say. It was fun and exciting to say the least.

So, it shows that we can have fun as adult Christians and learn at the same time. Works for children, right?

:p Blessings!

Nice & Wavy

matuncks said:
I get so tired of correcting people on this very simple quote, by saying "money in and of itself cannot do anything". It's very frustrating when people deflect blame for their own actions.
[/QUOTE]

"My people perish for lack of knowledge." Hosea 4: 7a.

Most people do this because they don't know that it says this (bolded) in the Bible.

We are to help them by sharing the scripture with them, so that they may know the truth. Don't get frustrated, help them. ;)

Be blessed.

Nice & Wavy

myco said:

Now, that is a good explanation....go girl!

Nice & Wavy

Shimmie said:

This is a wonderful thread. We're all learning something. I know I am. I started out being 'playful', but look at the wisdom coming forth from everyone. ;)

Even God can't get 72 hours from Friday to Sunday. According to scripture, the 'Sabbath' mentioned is the Passover Sabbath.

Which started Sundown Wednesday and ended Sundown Saturday as when all Sabbaths end. Yet we grew up in Churches and never 'questioned' the validity of this. I mean, "Jesus is the Passover Lamb"...

Somebody give God a praise. No matter what, and no matter what anyone has said or will say... we can never ever stop...

And I'm back again...

Amen, that was the intent from the start....glad to see you are right there with me, Shimmie!

You are a blessing....keep Praising Him....His Name is Holy!

Nice & Wavy

Shimmie said:

And I'm back again...

Amen, that was the intent from the start....glad to see you are right there with me, Shimmie!

Nice & Wavy

Shimmie said:

And I'm back again...

Shimmie

Staff member
Nice and Wavy.... You made me a triple header....

Girl, you know I have a big enough head as it is.... :lol: Now it's triple the size.... This forum can't handle too much more of me.... :rofl:

Just kidding..........

Ummmmmmmmm, no I'm not.... :lol:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
matuncks said:
This is SO true... people love to leave words out of the context of scripture.