Nostalgic over hair grease

daviine

I don't know what came over me today but I miss hair grease. I was at the supermarket and started smelling all the hair greases. They made me remember when I was younger. I mean they really never did any harm to my hair. So I just felt like buying one but I didn't which one I wanted to buy though. I wanted soemthing light though and I guess I'll put it on my ends for the winter...or just sniff it when I remember my childhood days.

I used to use Dax, Super dax, Ultra Sheen, Blue Magic, and Royal Crown. I'm sure there were more but I can't remember.

A side note---ever since joining hair clubs in 1999, I have a psychological thing where I can't buy things with no-nos like petrolatum or mineral oil in them. It's stupid becasue they seemed to be working. I just have to get this stupid mentality out of my head.

Anywyas, I can't really feel the consistency of the greases....anyone have a suggestion for a light hair grease?

I think I might get Super Light Dax. I uswed to love Super Dax in junior high (I must have been obsessed then too---cuz I bought that with my own junior high money!!!)

Okay I'm rambling now....

I guess you can use dax. I saw a black girl around my house with waist length hair around my way and I just had to ask her what she puts in her hair and she said Dax. On the dax jar it says it gives your hair the appearance of being longer. How is that if your hair is already straight? <font color="blue"> </font color>

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I have a psychological thing where I can't buy things with no-nos like petrolatum or mineral oil in them. It's stupid becasue they seemed to be working.

[/ QUOTE ]

I smile when I look at the hair grease, too. I remember my mom and grandmother putting a blob on the back of their left hand and greasing me up with the right hand... /images/graemlins/wink.gif
If grease works for you, then by all means you should keep using it. Some people are lucky enough to be able to see results no matter what they use in their hair. Like my curly haired friend and the nursery Vaseline. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ebony

i know what you mean. i was in the beauty supply store three weeks ago and say the royal crown hair grease &amp; smelled it. it took me back &amp; i couldn't resist buying it. royal crown &amp; dax were all my "family" used. dax stopped breakage back then. oh, i forgot vaseline-LOL! Adrienne had me thinking cause she uses it to moisturize her ends!

jrw

I always hated hair grease. I didn't like the way it felt. When I started caring for my own hair I told myself I would never use hair grease on my hair. This was before I joined hair clubs and learned about mineral oil and petroletum.

pebbles

I have to admit that it was hard for me to believe that greasing my scalp wouldn't help my hair grow. Every now and then, I'm tempted to grease my scalp, just a litte. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

inthestars

JRW, I always hated hair grease too..I knew that it didn't make hair grow, yet my mother always insisted on slathering my hair with it. I hated it, the smell, texture, everything..

Eyvonne7131

I always have and will believe in the use of hair grease...thought in my later years I have tried some oils that worked ok, but it never fails I always go back to some form of hair grease! I think grease is fine as long as it is used sparingly. I know people now claim the pertrolum and mineral oil clog your pores, etc...however it is also true that for most of us our hair was long and healthy when we used hair grease and that cannot be ignored. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blackndiangirl

I use Dax, but sometimes when i run out i use Indian Hemp, its natural and light, you can get it from t he dollar store. They also have soft tea, hair food and coconut which i just love

notsomebody

I know exactly what you mean. I think the reason it worked so well on me when I was younger was because a. I was natural, b. my hair only got combed once a week on wash days. So wash day my hair was washed, combed, greased, and put in pigtails until the next week. I didn't start having problems with grease until after my hair was relaxed. I say if your hair likes grease, go for it.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I wish pple were more positive about grease. My hair was always the longest when I used grease on my scalp regularly. I'm not knocking those who don't, but kudos to the girls who do. :cool:

baglady215

I had a phobia about grease for a while too. I don't know why because like most of you ladies, my grandmom was the one with the blob of grease on one hand and a comb in the other. I bought some grease a few weeks ago and I haven't been greasing my scalp but I use it on my hair when I wear a bun/phonytail. I've been thinking of going back to hair food (you know, that flourescent yellow stuff :)) to use when my hair is "out".

Janet'

Grease IS a touchy subject. For decades, as AA's all we had was grease to put in our hair, and it seemed to thrive. I remember before I took over doing my hair (which eventually lead to the devastation), my mom would part and grease my scalp everynight because it (my hair/scalp) soaked it up (and I'm trying to get my natural hair back to that length). Now, it's one of the top 10 things to avoid. I applaude anyone who still uses grease but then on the other hand, just because I used it and it didn't hurt my hair then, now that my chemical composition has changed, who's to say that it would be good now??? :perplexed What a dilemma, indeed...

Jewell

Yeah, I heard about all the bad stuff regarding hair grease and what not, the petrolatum and mineral oil, or whatever, but I really missed greasing my scalp. So, I shole 'nuff went and bought some Sulfur 8 and it is da bomb! A light hair grease that I really like since my hair is fine is BB Super Gro Extra Lite. It has other better things in it like jojoba oil and coconut oil in it. I REALLY like that and Sulfur 8.

tropicexotic

free @ last
I see u're in NY. I bought somethin that looks like grease but has no mineral oil or petroleum from Whole Foods Body @ 23rd street. It's by Earthly Delight and the ingredients are coconut oil,virgin olive oil, chlorophyll, essential oils of sage, nettles, rosemary, bergamot. It's like 10 bucks, so if you don't wanna spend that much it's not the product for u lol...but it's a good grease alternative :) HTH!

sky_blu

I see nothing wrong with using grease. I just hate how heavy my hair gets when I put too much on there (which is not intentional).