Not basing scalp= no hair growth?

Neen

Actually I just put this in my CON thread but thought I'd create another. Anyway, my stylist, for years, used to relax my hair with Affirm w/o basing it first. I always had a weak spot and my hair would break all the time in that area. I finally went to see a dermatologist about it and he said it was 'perm burn' and that is why I had the weak spot

SO, I was thinking that this may have slowed down my hair growth considerably since relaxer penetrates the scalp if it isn't properly protected. I have started to notice my hair growing much faster lately. The last time I had a no-base relaxer was in December. My last relaxer was in April. I used Elasta WITH a base. Has anyone ever experienced this? Have any knowledge about this?

patience

That sounds quite plausible, especially considering how caustic relaxers are and how porous the scalp is. Glad you switched to a base relaxer.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
IMO, I think it helps to base the scalp to promote hair growth. Im sure your hair will still grow but not as fast if you base your scalp.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I never base my scalp and have no problems with achieving growth or maintaining length. I don't burn my scalp up either or relax very often, so perhps that helps.

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
CurlyCrly said:
I never base my scalp and have no problems with achieving growth or maintaining length. I don't burn my scalp up either or relax very often, so perhps that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto. My stylist is very good with not getting any relaxer on my scalp

silvergirl

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
[ QUOTE ]
CurlyCrly said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto. My stylist is very good with not getting any relaxer on my scalp

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here for when i was relaxed.

beana3

Neen you made a very good point. I have this persistent sore area in my scalp and it just so happens that its the first area they apply the relaxer to.

I'll definetely make sure to properly grease my scalp on touchup day next time.

Neen

[ QUOTE ]
beana3 said:
Neen you made a very good point. I have this persistent sore area in my scalp and it just so happens that its the first area they apply the relaxer to.

I'll definetely make sure to properly grease my scalp on touchup day next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny you mentioned that. I just realized my weak spot is also the first place my relaxer is usually placed. That is the area that would ALWAYS itch and have thinned out, broken hair. Good 'ol perm burn

Neen

[ QUOTE ]
CurlyCrly said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you use lye or no lye?

hiza

I have never base my scalp and have no problems with achieving growth or maintaining length.

skegeesmb

When I started relaxing on my own, I never based my scalp. But I also never got close enough to touch my scalp, I'm a big ole chicken when it comes to doing my hair, I'm really careful.