November 2016: Hits & Misses

Lady S

Let's start with misses:
*The hair shop closest to me not selling Freetress braiding hair. What the hell?
*Assuming the hair stylist I went to watched the same YT videos on crochet braids I did and knew to separate the hair in sections instead of installing the whole chunk of hair.
* Actually, I'm just going to put the whole crochet braiding situation as a mess, I'm a little emotionally scarred.
*Not knowing how to cornrow (see the above points).

Hits
*Not having to do my hair because even a lousy protective style is still a protective style.
* Bronner Extra Lite Double Strength Super Gro

Tentative Hit:
*Neutrogena T-Gel. Seems to doing a pretty good job at keeping my scalp from exploding into what I think is scalp psoriasis. But geez, is it drying. It's a shampoo that I'll have to alternate with a more moisturizing shampoo.

curlyhersheygirl

New Hits:
APB's matcha green tea butter and hair spritz. Great for refreshing hair mid week and not bad as a liquid LI and light sealant on wash day.

ST's pumpkin detox. Great as a clay cleanser.

Kenra's curl styling conditioner. This was great as a LI. Very moisturizing, tamed frizz and absorbed nicely

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
New Hits:
APB's matcha green tea butter and hair spritz. Great for refreshing hair mid week and not bad as a liquid LI and light sealant on wash day.

ST's pumpkin detox. Great as a clay cleanser.

Kenra's curl styling conditioner. This was great as a LI. Very moisturizing, tamed frizz and absorbed nicely

Is that the sample CurlMart gave? I've been thinking about trying that

CeeLex33

Happy Healthy Hair!
Continued Hits:

APB Leave In will forever be HG status.

Bel Nouvo Buttercreams- these are super creamy, my hair loves thicker moisturizers and these are perfect to mini twist with using LCO method with this fall Jersey air. In love with the Sweet Potato scent right now but the Red Velvet is a close second.

APB Refresher Sprays and Jakeala Leave In Sprays for mini twist refresher and some moisture when I'm on week 2-3 of twists.

Sarenzo Creamy Oils as a sealant is winning!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
HIT:

Soultanicals Dream Cream
as a leave in was very moisturizing and defined my curls. I also tried it as a detangler in the shower and it offered nice slip. However, I prefer to use it as a leave in.

QB AOHC is a great sealant. Sealed in ST Dream Cream nicely without making my hair oily.

QB Alaphabet Butter would be great for braid outs. I added a little bit to my hair before braiding for wigs. When I took down a braid, it was awesomely defined. This butter brought everything together perfectly.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Revisted Hit:
Redken Cleansing Cream. I basically washed my scalp with it then ran the suds down my hair and rinsed. My hair felt stripped, but Redken knows what it's doing. I didn't let it sit and it still worked it's magic. I love clay, but that might need to be a summer thing.

Shea Moisture Sacha Inchi Masque. Used it after Redken. It felt stiff going on but I let it sit for 10 minutes and my hair felt nice.

Continued Hits:
QB BRBC. My hair is so soft.

QB CTDG. My hair is so soft.

SM Low Porosity LI. My hair is so soft.

Miss turned into Hit:
Rose Water before styling. I used this when I was texlaxed and it was a no go so I used it as Toner. Seems it was only texlaxed hair that didn't like it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
First Time Hit:
Tukka Naturals Koka Au Lait Detangler/Hair Lotion. I used it as a Pre-Poo. I thought it detangled nicely. Pleasant Almond scent. Decent Sale Price & Fast Shipping. (x2 for $18)

My Cons: It is an 8oz bottle and since I used it to detangle, I used quite a bit. However, if I was using it as a Daily L-I, it would be great. Also, it is $18.00 (regular price for x1). I can't see paying that much for this product w/o a discount.

SuchaLady

I loved Joico from the start but the MR Balm made me love it even more. Shout out to @SuchaLady for introducing me to it.

Yesss!!!! Joico Moisture Recovery Balm for everyone.

I know I'm super late, but Joico MR Balm is a MEGA HIT! The MR conditioner is great too.

I haven't put down Silicon Mix in 6 years, but after Joico, I don't think I'll be looking back anytime soon...in love!!!

Welcome to the Secret Society

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
1st time trying - Decent Hit:
Tukka Naturals Le'Moka DC'er ($6 *while supplies last)
I was expecting a more chocolatey scent, it's very faint. It's dense, but spreadable and applies nicely, moisturizes and rinses clean.

I used it with Steam and I thought it worked very well. It also aided in Detangling.
However, I would not pay the full price of $20.00 for this product.

Continued Hit:
Texture Me Naturals Avocado & Amla Leave-In

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Continued hits:

Ginger, onion and fenugreek on the scalp. It settled the shedding from last wash day's mustard oil fiasco
Redken extreme rebuilder - just 10 mins gives my relxed hair so much life
Keracare humecto
Redken antisnap leave in

First time hit:

Macadamia ultra rich moisture masque. Yes. super thick and creamy used it as part of an over nightpre-poo and again to DC on my ng. Soft and moist hair. the NG curls are popping so the hair is well hyrated :yep: Got the trial packet will be buying the jar next.

After contiued use...meh

Redken all soft. I dunno what happened with this one...the first time was decent but now it just seems to sit on my hair. Will try to use up as a pre poo I guess.

*edited to correct ginger, not garlic

Last edited:

CodeRed

Ok hit: Biotera Anti Frizz Intense Smoothing Conditioner

I liked it because it made my hair soft but it wasn't as smooth as I wanted it to be

Miss: the new formulation of Ion Detangler

It's now called Ion Frizz Defying Foundation Spray. It doesn't work like the old one (white bottle, pink writing) nor does it have the same ingredient list (even though Sally's workers keep telling people it does). My hair is not nearly as soft and it doesn't detangle as well as the other. Plus it went from 12 oz to 8 oz and the price stayed the same.

Hit and miss: Mizani Botanifying Shampoo

It feels fine when I'm lathering up/rinsing it out but it is only compatible with like one or two conditioners...

Hit: Keracare Moisturizing Shampoo for Color Treated Hair

I really, really like this. It's compatible with all my conditioners, doesn't strip my hair and cleanses properly. The only downside is it only comes in 8 oz bottles but I've found some really good prices on it so that's fine.

Hit: Brocato Cloud 9 Treatment

It's a really good conditioner and you don't have to use that much of it or leave it on too long. Hair is stronger, shinier and softer. It has some ingredients I don't like in it though, and because I'm trying to shy away from some things I might just use this sometimes. Still a very good conditioner though.

Always a hit: LHCF

I use the search function probably more than I use anything else and it's been really, really helpful - especially these past few months. I keep little notes on products that work for me but when I looked up my past posts about different things I used it's so, so helpful. I really hope this site stays around for a while because engaging with fellow posters and looking back at your own past experiments is really invaluable when you don't keep dissertations of your own product use :lol:

CodeRed

Forgot... not sure if it's a hit or miss.... Garlic and onion oils

I'm not sure if it helped my growth or not but my scalp was moisturized. I ordered black onion oil (carrier) and garlic essential oils off of ebay and the garlic was really strong, the onion not so much but I'm not sure if they actually did anything for growth.