November 2017: Hits & Misses

NaturallyATLPCH

I was so excited reading the ingredients then I got to coconut oil and was like :darkcloud:
Girl my hair can't tell. Coconut oil things are usually a bust for me. Not this one. Very soft, moisturized hair. Her formulation is on point with this gel. It is not drying at all.
Know how I know? Because Avocado oil is towards the top of the list and most things with avocado oil smooth or dry the crap out of my hair. That alone made me a believer.
Case in point, Sarenzo's Hair Pudding also has avocado oil towards the top of the ingredients list. Dried the crap out of my hair.
My twist outs are in heaven when I use this gel and want me to stop playing around using other things. But you know how PJism is :giggle:.
But if coconut oil breaks you out, that's definitely a concern.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Have you tried the Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion on dry hair (i.e. as a daily moisturizer)? Do you find it to be moisturizing?

I applied some to a section of my hair today and it sank right in and moisturized that section. It has a slippery texture, unlike a more creamy texture like, say, creamy sour cream and onion dip for potato chips.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hit:
Henna Sooq Coveda Shampoo Bar

The good:
Great ingredients. Love that it has henna and ayurvedic ingredients. Contains nothing undesirable. Yay! I was able to to detangle with it. After rinse-out, my hair felt clean but definitely not stripped. My hair felt SUPER strong. I may able to use THIS for getting henna, instead of henna masks or glosses. That would be great.​
The meh:
It left a film on my hair, but I think that's what's going to strengthen my hair and reduce tangles, actually.​
The not good:
I can deal with the scent, but it's not my favorite. Also, it made my eyes water just to have the suds near my eyes. Wonder why. The box said keep away from eyes. I don't get that sensation with my Soultanicals ayurvedic poo bar.
Not a repurchase:
Henna Sooq Hair Nourisher

It has great ingredients. It smells like lemon sour heads. It has the consistency of taffy. I rubbed large pinches of it in my palms to try to spread it more for easier application. There were chunks of not-mixed-in cassia in random spots in the jar. I haven't rinsed it out yet. It may be amazing, but I don't want to deal with the consistency of it. I need something creamy or runny.​

NaturallyATLPCH

Miss: APB Gel :(
Now, I have been a fan of this line for a few years, and nothing has disappointed me. However, this gel was a let down. It was pretty watery when I applied it for a twist out, but I was like, maybe when it dries, it will be alright.
I woke up this morning and when I separated and fluffed my twists, it was like I hadn't put anything on my hair. The hold was gone once the twists were separated. I went to work with an afro this morning.
It may work for looser curl curlies, but for type 4s and twist outs? I would've needed to layer it with a stronger hold gel and to me that defeats the purpose for using the gel.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hit:
Henna Sooq Coveda Shampoo Bar

The good:
Great ingredients. Love that it has henna and ayurvedic ingredients. Contains nothing undesirable. Yay! I was able to to detangle with it. After rinse-out, my hair felt clean but definitely not stripped. My hair felt SUPER strong. I may able to use THIS for getting henna, instead of henna masks or glosses. That would be great.​
The meh:
It left a film on my hair, but I think that's what's going to strengthen my hair and reduce tangles, actually.​
The not good:
I can deal with the scent, but it's not my favorite. Also, it made my eyes water just to have the suds near my eyes. Wonder why. The box said keep away from eyes. I don't get that sensation with my Soultanicals ayurvedic poo bar.
Not a repurchase:
Henna Sooq Hair Nourisher

It has great ingredients. It smells like lemon sour heads. It has the consistency of taffy. I rubbed large pinches of it in my palms to try to spread it more for easier application. There were chunks of not-mixed-in cassia in random spots in the jar. I haven't rinsed it out yet. It may be amazing, but I don't want to deal with the consistency of it. I need something creamy or runny.​

I just rinsed the Henna Sooq Hair Nourisher out.

When I got out of the shower, donned my T-shirt and shorts, and began to apply my leave-in and gel, I noticed particles of honey and such stuck in my hair.

I had to get BACK IN THE SHOWER and apply super warm water to try to shingle the bits out.

This is definitely, then, not a repurchase: The EXTRA time I spent removing the DC was the time I could have used to finish styling. And, to have to use super warm water and rinse and rinse and rinse . . . that seemed to remove some of my curl definition, and probably some of the effect of having just DC'd.

NaturallyATLPCH

Miss
My Soultanicals package stuck in pre shipping for 3 days.
Only 3 days? That's pretty good considering things I have ordered from her in the past were stuck in preshipment for over a week.
Hopefully you'll get your things soon. These companies should know we know how this works. Don't create the label unless Mr. Postman is coming to get it or you are taking it THAT DAY.

naturalyogini

Only 3 days? That's pretty good considering things I have ordered from her in the past were stuck in preshipment for over a week.
Hopefully you'll get your things soon. These companies should know we know how this works. Don't create the label unless Mr. Postman is coming to get it or you are taking it THAT DAY.
It's on the way after I emailed her.

Napturallypretty1908

Potential Hit: Soultanicals Can't Believe It's Knot Butter - It has my hair super moisturized, feeling and extra soft. Only thing stopping me from calling it a true hit is that none of my styles are lasting longer than a day. Paired with my one of my fair gels, my twist outs and braids outs aren't lasting. I ended up walking around most of the week with a (soft and moisturized fro).

NaturallyATLPCH

On the fence: SheScentIt Papaya Super Hydrate Mask
Application and slip are phenomenal. When I rinse it out, phenomenal. Once my hair starts to dry I can feel my hair getting a little hard and stiff. I have used it twice. I don't know if I want to use it again with my hair feeling this way. I may use something else and revisit it at a later date, or combine it with some oils to use it up.

Last edited:

naturalyogini

Miss:
Soultanicals Fro Despair Conditioner
(Sigh) What a waste of money for these products. I'm done with Soultanicals. Left it on my hair for 1 hour. Rinsed it out and my hair stood straight up on my head. Again, the pH is too high for my hair. This will have to be used as a pre-poo. What a waste. I should have stuck with my first mind and purchased the Joico Intense Hydrator with a pH of 3.5.:cry3:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Miss:
(Sigh) What a waste of money for these products. I'm done with Soultanicals. Left it on my hair for 1 hour. Rinsed it out and my hair stood straight up on my head. Again, the pH is too high for my hair. This will have to be used as a pre-poo. What a waste. I should have stuck with my first mind and purchased the Joico Intense Hydrator with a pH of 3.5.:cry3:
@naturalyogini

Wondered how this was? :ohwell:

Imma pull it out and try it this weekend.:perplexed:

Thank you for your review.:nono:[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

nymane

Miss:

The Joico Intense Hydrator is wonderful - never too late

Britt

Miss: APB Gel :(
Now, I have been a fan of this line for a few years, and nothing has disappointed me. However, this gel was a let down. It was pretty watery when I applied it for a twist out, but I was like, maybe when it dries, it will be alright.
I woke up this morning and when I separated and fluffed my twists, it was like I hadn't put anything on my hair. The hold was gone once the twists were separated. I went to work with an afro this morning.
It may work for looser curl curlies, but for type 4s and twist outs? I would've needed to layer it with a stronger hold gel and to me that defeats the purpose for using the gel.
This is exactly my experience when i used the gel a while ago. It’s very watery and no hold, almost like putting nothing in your hair.