Now Forming an Army of SUPER-LONG HAIR 4B (or mostly 4b) NATURALS!! Come on in!

faithVA

@faithVA @almond eyes

Soooo, where do i start, lol. My Analysis was done by Rene, it's bad but not bleak...I'might actually pretty excited!

1. My low porosity hair is actualy very (straight down the middle) normala. She said most people are normal to high.

2. My very fine hair is actually very course (thick)! A trusted hair professional saw a picture of my hair last week and said the same thing. Who would have thunk it!

3. She said my hair is nearly indestructible, and is the most beautiful texture she's ever seen (curly/coily). I'm still perplexed. She says it's so shiny/reflective that she could hardly get good pictures.

4. I have a lot of severely damaged cuticles and most of it needs to be cut off, lol! The good news is she didn't see an urgency to cut it all at once or immediatly but it does need to go, at least 2". My pro LCL steamer caused the damaged and the mechanical damage probay from my first and only blow dry (it was rough). She says my hair does not require steaming EVER and to gift away my steamer. The dry, tangling, rough texture is because I have a LOT of cuticles and the constant steaming caused them to be permanently lifted and broken. She's 100% percent certain once I cut my hair and eliminate steam, the dryness, tangles and rough texture will be a thing of my past.

She elaborated on several occasions on my hair. "I'm so very serious, you have the most beautiful hair, I don't get hair envy but I love your hair!" I said so it's not west African texture? She said, no...I lIke that texture but yours is curly and coily!
I'm glad you got the analysis and now you know what to do. As helpful as this board is it could not have told you this is information. This will save you time and money in the long run.

Go head with your indestructible hair. :grin:

Yeah and most people who think they are low porosity are not. They have some other issue going on. It ain't that many of us :sad: :lol:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm glad you got the analysis and now you know what to do. As helpful as this board is it could not have told you this is information. This will save you time and money in the long run.

Go head with your indestructible hair. :grin:

Yeah and most people who think they are low porosity are not. They have some other issue going on. It ain't that many of us :sad: :lol:

Lol, I'm having such a difficult time processing it all. I can't wait to see results.

snoop

@faithVA @almond eyes

Soooo, where do i start, lol. My Analysis was done by Rene, it's bad but not bleak...I'm actually pretty excited!

1. My low porosity hair is actualy very (straight down the middle) normal. She said most people are normal to high.

2. My very fine hair is actually very course (thick)! A trusted hair professional saw a picture of my hair last week and said the same thing. Who would have thunk it!

3. She said my hair is nearly indestructible, and is the most beautiful texture she's ever seen (curly/coily). I'm still perplexed. She says it's so shiny/reflective that she could hardly get good pictures of my healthy strands.

4. I have a lot of severely damaged cuticles and most of it needs to be cut off, lol! The good news is she didn't see an urgency to cut it all at once or immediatly but it does need to go, at least 2". My pro LCL steamer caused the damaged and the mechanical damage probably from my first and only blow dry (it was rough). She says my hair does not require steaming EVER and to gift away my steamer. The dry, tangling, rough texture is because I have a LOT of cuticles and the constant steaming caused them to be permanently lifted and broken. She's 100% percent certain once I cut my hair and eliminate steam, the dryness, tangles and rough texture will be a thing of my past.

She elaborated on several occasions on my hair. "I'm so very serious, you have the most beautiful hair, I don't get hair envy but I love your hair!" I said so it's not west African texture? She said, no...I lIke that texture but yours is curly and coily!

I'm glad that you got stuck positive results. Would you mind duplicating this post in the über Komaza results thread. I'm sure that there are others that would find the info helpful.

almond eyes

@faithVA @almond eyes

Soooo, where do i start, lol. My Analysis was done by Rene, it's bad but not bleak...I'm actually pretty excited!

1. My low porosity hair is actualy very (straight down the middle) normal. She said most people are normal to high.

3. She said my hair is nearly indestructible, and is the most beautiful texture she's ever seen (curly/coily). I'm still perplexed. She says it's so shiny/reflective that she could hardly get good pictures of my healthy strands.

4. I have a lot of severely damaged cuticles and most of it needs to be cut off, lol! The good news is she didn't see an urgency to cut it all at once or immediatly but it does need to go, at least 2". My pro LCL steamer caused the damaged and the mechanical damage probably from my first and only blow dry (it was rough). She says my hair does not require steaming EVER and to gift away my steamer. The dry, tangling, rough texture is because I have a LOT of cuticles and the constant steaming caused them to be permanently lifted and broken. She's 100% percent certain once I cut my hair and eliminate steam, the dryness, tangles and rough texture will be a thing of my past.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Now you can take the steps to take care of your hair.

I never liked steaming for my hair. Always made my hair mushy. And I am very cautious about the blow dryer.

Let us know!!!!!!!!!!

Best,
Almond Eyes

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I had another successful wash day. I used Curl Ideal Cleansing conditioner and Densite mask with Lait Vital to dc. Once my hair airdried a bit I detangled and redid my celies.

I didn't have any breakage and shedding was minimal considering it had been a week since last wash day. Before bed I moisturized my ends with Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth cream and put on my bonnet.

Aggie

Prepooing this morning with a mixture of HQS The Slip Conditioner mixed with Banyan Botanicals Healthy Hair Oil and AVJ
Shampooing with Redken Color Extend Manetics Shampoo
Protein Treating with a mixture of some leftover Keracare Super Reconstructor and Neutral Protein Filler
Moisture DCing with my small jar APB Ultra Conditioning Souffle...finally :happydance:
Moisturizing with Bel Nouvo Avo & Shea Hair Milk
Plaiting my hair down for my wig. I will be wigging it out for a couple weeks.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hey ladies! I hope all is well with everyone. This year is almost over and I think I finally have this hair thing figured out.

This year I learned:
How to tension blowdry
That my hair needs a weekly shampoo/dc
How to gently detangle from root to tip
To stick with the products that work (mainly Kerastase)
How to apply an at home bkt

My ends have never been stronger and I'm looking forward to retaining most of my growth from here on out.

CenteredGirl

This year I learned:

• Never be discouraged - sooner or later the stars will align and your hair will grow.
  • My hair is damaged (irrevocably by the alteration of my scalp from perms over 10 years ago) and I need to take care it as such. The good news is that @Chicoro helped me out and now I am on the path of full BSL in 2017.
  • Patience is a skill that you learn after failing millions of times. It's worth it.
Happy Holidays my gorgeous, smart and wonderful sisters and Let it Grow in 2017!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hello beautiful ladies! It's been a while since I updated in here. My hair is doing well. I am washing it and dcing twice a week now, because of the heat and humidity. Once it cools off I may go back to weekly washes. Currently I am using Giovanni 2chic Ultra Moist shampoo in the green bottle. That's bae!! I rotate my conditioner based on what my hair needs. Yesterday was a protein day: I used Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. Next wash I'm due for a moisturizing treatment.

I have had a huge reduction in shedding AND breakage since my trim in June. I had to remove 2-3 inches of tapered, weathered ends from my crown and about 1 inch from everywhere else. I'm still hovering around bsl/mbl. My focus now is on overall thickness, strength and shine from within. Each wash day is a new opportunity to evaluate what works and what doesn't. I have another trim due this month. I also plan to rinse my hair blue black an do another OK Original Keratin treatment.

Since the bkt makes my hair easier to detangle in its coily state, I want to try doing some unstretched styles. I'll let yall know how it goes...

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I did a keratin treatment last week. I've done my first cowash and it's going well. My curl pattern is slightly looser and softer.

I got a new bottle of curl ideal cleansing conditioner and it came with a few samples and a free comb. I love Kerastase. It's pricy, but this bottle will last around 6 months IMG_20180503_182803_780.jpg

Aggie

Tomorrow I will be:

-Shampooing with Hairveda Deep Cleansing Shampoo
-Protein Deep Conditioning with Hairveda Step 1 Methi Sativa Tea Deep Protein Masque
-Moisturizing DC with Hairveda Step 2 Methi Sativa Tea Moisture Conditioning Milk
-Leave-in with Komaza Care Aloe My Hair Leave-in Conditioner

-Later I will be moisturizing and sealing with SCurl Curl Activator Moisturizer and my DIY Shea Butter Blend.

-I thought it still had Komaza Care Protein Conditioner but turned out that I used it all already :blush:

kikisf

This year I learned:

• Never be discouraged - sooner or later the stars will align and your hair will grow.
  • My hair is damaged (irrevocably by the alteration of my scalp from perms over 10 years ago) and I need to take care it as such. The good news is that @Chicoro helped me out and now I am on the path of full BSL in 2017.
  • Patience is a skill that you learn after failing millions of times. It's worth it.
Happy Holidays my gorgeous, smart and wonderful sisters and Let it Grow in 2017!
How do you know your scalp is damged and please let us know what to do for it?

GGsKin

I seem to not cut enough when I trim or airdrying has been kiiling my ends softly, or both. Has anyone has this experience with airdrying?

I've been hanging out in 'the void' between APL and BSL. And I've always got split ends. I tend to exclusively wear wash and goes, or my hair is in extensions or braided down under a wig. As well as trims, I've always dusted my hair regularly in its natural state. I want to get a hold on these splits without hacking off half my length so I've decided to stop the wash and goes for a while. Instead, stretch my hair with heat every 6-8 weeks by blowdrying and straightening, mainly in order to trim. I did this last weekend (and of course its been raining ever since) so I've been bunning and braiding my ends at night. I took off 2-3 inches this week and I really tried to get into my short upper layers in my crown.

ETA: I forgot to add that once my hair starts to revert too much for my liking, I will braid down and wear it under a wig.

I will see an improvement in my length retention.

Last edited:

Silkylover

I seem to not cut enough when I trim or airdrying has been kiiling my ends softly, or both. Has anyone has this experience with airdrying?

I've been hanging out in 'the void' between APL and BSL. And I've always got split ends. I tend to exclusively wear wash and goes, or my hair is in extensions or braided down under a wig. As well as trims, I've always dusted my hair regularly in its natural state. I want to get a hold on these splits without hacking off half my length so I've decided to stop the wash and goes for a while. Instead, stretch my hair with heat every 6-8 weeks by blowdrying and straightening, mainly in order to trim. I did this last weekend (and of course its been raining ever since) so I've been bunning and braiding my ends at night. I took off 2-3 inches this week and I really tried to get into my short upper layers in my crown.

I wouldn't use heat at all. Stick to dusting as needed. Sounds like your moisture and or protein is off. I also would leave the fake hair alone

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
How were you sealing your hair in WnGs? What’s your hair type? I’m type 4 and once I realized I could effectively seal my hair with lots of things without affecting the style, I stopped having adverse reactions from WnGs. I also admit that having mastered elongated clumpy curls, chunky twistouts have a remarkable resemblance to my WnGs, and they last longer with fewer hoops to jump through.

You totally WILL see improvement in your length retention. Having a good plan is 80% of the battle of any destination.:2inlove:

GGsKin

How were you sealing your hair in WnGs? What’s your hair type? I’m type 4 and once I realized I could effectively seal my hair with lots of things without affecting the style, I stopped having adverse reactions from WnGs. I also admit that having mastered elongated clumpy curls, chunky twistouts have a remarkable resemblance to my WnGs, and they last longer with fewer hoops to jump through.

You totally WILL see improvement in your length retention. Having a good plan is 80% of the battle of any destination.:2inlove:

Thanks @kxlot79 :2inlove:. From August 2019, I've been taking a break but I mainly wear a wash n go. When I do, I don't use a leave-in and I use diluted KCCC. For a few years now, I'll also add whipped shea to my ends/length. I tend to have good hydration and definition and my WnGs last me a long time. I don't have issues with tangling either. My hair is a mix of 4c and 4b. I think the clumping helped hide how far up my strands the splits were travelling. It also doesn't help that I mostly wear my hair loose when I wear a WnG- a habit I will amend.

I used to use clay very frequently (I started my natural hair journey doing MHM 2013/2014 IIRC, and I was all in lol). I will still use clay but I haven't in a long time. Anyway, I have a sneaky suspicion that I caused a lot of mechanical damage to my finer strands during that time.

I've dusted and trimmed my hair regularly over the years, maybe it just wasn't enough for the splits in the shorter layers of my canopy (as @discodumpling calls it). Coupled with the fact that I have wanted the top to catch up with the bottom for a few years now. I've happily chopped my lower layers so that by upper layers could catch up but I wasn't so eager to loose length up top. Also, the shorter length made it difficult to assess damage, from just cutting an arbitrary amount. This has improved with length and particularly for me, straightening to trim.

I also have a sneaky feeling about all the airdrying I've done over the years not being so kind- I usually airdry 100%.

What do you use to seal your hair?

Last edited:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
everything ain’t for everybody. So if you suspect air drying is adding to your issues, maybe it is. Why do you think that?

I have known people to get better styling results when using heat. I can only attest to “air drying” causing problems when it takes +24 hours to completely dry— too much moisture for too long on the scalp has led to moldy scalps and too much moisture on the hair has led to mushy, breakage prone hair.

what I use to seal depends on what styling products I used, how long I want my style to last, and what I have on hand. I’ve experimented with pretty much all the known sealants: butters, grease, oils, AVJ, AVG, gel, heavy creams, and serums. Unless I’m doing a long term (+2 weeks) PS, I don’t like using grease. Unless it’s cold outside, I’m not crazy about butters.
Lighter styling= lighter sealants, heavier styling/cooler weather/longer term styles= heavier sealants
My splits can’t hide because I almost exclusively finger detangle and I can feel most of them the minute they show up. My ends won’t clump right (they’ll get frizzy) and they look obviously raggedy to me when there is even minimal/normal wear&tear damage.
I also have a sneaky feeling about all the airdrying I've done over the years not being so kind- I usually airdry 100%.

What do you use to seal your hair?

GGsKin

Yeah, it's Kinky Curly gel and shea butter for me, when it comes to sealing. Creamy leave-in and serum when straightened.

With airdrying, I'm just looking at all the possibilities. My upper strands tend to be finer than the bottom half. My hair behaves low- normal porosity. I don't appear to have any scalp issues. I usually exclusively finger detangle- combing once every 4 months or so. When my hair is it's coily kinky state, I only use the metal 'tail of a rattail comb to part. For styling, I tend to do this on wet hair, smoothing with my hands and setting with a scarf. Yet the amount of splits and branches of splits 2, 3 and 4 inches up the strand- particularly in my crown area- was the most I've ever had, and makes me think it was exacerbated by something I haven't realised.

everything ain’t for everybody. So if you suspect air drying is adding to your issues, maybe it is. Why do you think that?

I have known people to get better styling results when using heat. I can only attest to “air drying” causing problems when it takes +24 hours to completely dry— too much moisture for too long on the scalp has led to moldy scalps and too much moisture on the hair has led to mushy, breakage prone hair.

what I use to seal depends on what styling products I used, how long I want my style to last, and what I have on hand. I’ve experimented with pretty much all the known sealants: butters, grease, oils, AVJ, AVG, gel, heavy creams, and serums. Unless I’m doing a long term (+2 weeks) PS, I don’t like using grease. Unless it’s cold outside, I’m not crazy about butters.
Lighter styling= lighter sealants, heavier styling/cooler weather/longer term styles= heavier sealants
My splits can’t hide because I almost exclusively finger detangle and I can feel most of them the minute they show up. My ends won’t clump right (they’ll get frizzy) and they look obviously raggedy to me when there is even minimal/normal wear&tear damage.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Are you saying your newest hair, closest to your roots is FINER than your older hair closer to your ends? How do you mean this?
If you suspect your hair is growing in finer/weaker/thinner recently as opposed to before, that definitely speaks to scalp issues &/or nutrition issues.

Your breakage/trouble area has a peculiar pattern. Do you part your hair often vertically through your crown? A lot of the time (not always!) canopy breakage is concentrated along vertical part lines with high tension/stress (think of the + pattern many naturals section their hair in, wearing deep parts, or skimming product application on the top of the head because of overzeal to the ends). Another possibility (which maybe you’ve tried) is to trim a little aggressively in the crown area so that the splits stop tangling in and damaging the healthier hair under your canopy. (One of my friends had very bad breakage in her canopy from weave takedown damage and she had about 6” of breakage just in her crown. So instead of trying to blend it or do anything with layers, I just circled it off from the unaffected area and gave it a nice clean cut.)

My upper strands tend to be finer than the bottom half.

Yet the amount of splits and branches of splits 2, 3 and 4 inches up the strand- particularly in my crown area- was the most I've ever had, and makes me think it was exacerbated by something I haven't realised.

GGsKin

Sorry for the confusion. No, (unless taking the removed splits ends into account) the thickness of the strand seems to be consistent down the length, its just that all the strands on my head are not the same thickness. My hair strands at the back and sides seem thicker in diameter than the hair in my crown but unless inspecting my strands, it's not something people would notice. Years ago when I was relaxed, this area would be the first to show signs of thinning/ damage when I used heat too much. I do tend to have a middle or off-centre part when my hair is coily, so this 'fragile' section is always exposed to the elements. I am meticulous in my method of applying product, especially gel for my WnG, so I think its suprising that my coils really hid the damage.

I agree with you and the cutting of damage. As soon as I straightened, I could really see the individual strands and see how far the splits travelled (and that it wasn't unevenness from cutting coily), I had to get rid. I can't see or feel them when my hair is coily.

After the post I made here in August, I went back and trimmed more all over but focussing on my crown. After straightening again, my hair definitely looks better and feels better at the ends. I wore it loosely bunned for a couple of weeks, then braided it down. I love wearing my hair in a coily state but I definitely think monitoring my ends while straight straight will help me keep better track going forwards.

Are you saying your newest hair, closest to your roots is FINER than your older hair closer to your ends? How do you mean this?
If you suspect your hair is growing in finer/weaker/thinner recently as opposed to before, that definitely speaks to scalp issues &/or nutrition issues.

Your breakage/trouble area has a peculiar pattern. Do you part your hair often vertically through your crown? A lot of the time (not always!) canopy breakage is concentrated along vertical part lines with high tension/stress (think of the + pattern many naturals section their hair in, wearing deep parts, or skimming product application on the top of the head because of overzeal to the ends). Another possibility (which maybe you’ve tried) is to trim a little aggressively in the crown area so that the splits stop tangling in and damaging the healthier hair under your canopy. (One of my friends had very bad breakage in her canopy from weave takedown damage and she had about 6” of breakage just in her crown. So instead of trying to blend it or do anything with layers, I just circled it off from the unaffected area and gave it a nice clean cut.)

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Gotcha!
I applaud your methodical approach to figure out what the issue is! Trust me, it will eventually pay off. :bighug:
As long as you’re actively monitoring the area and trimming as needed, the need for trims should decrease in frequency and amount with proper care. Since it’s a deviation from what came to be normal for you, it’s almost certain that something changed, just a matter of what.

Believe it or not, coarser hair in the nape and sides (or back of the head) and finer hair on top/front is quite common. That’s why relaxer is typically applied in the back where it is “more resistant” but that coarser hair can really be anywhere on the head. OT: A lot of the time, people think the curl pattern is different where the texture is different (or sometimes when the porosity is different), but the curls just behave differently even though they’re the same shape.

Sometimes products stop performing the same for all parts of our hair. Have you inspected this possibility? Any formulation changes of your primary rotation? I know a few people who use different products for different sections of hair. (For instance, a gel on the nape/sides of the hair and a mousse on the canopy.)

Sorry for the confusion. No, (unless taking the removed splits ends into account) the thickness of the strand seems to be consistent down the length, its just that all the strands on my head are not the same thickness. My hair strands at the back and sides seem thicker in diameter than the hair in my crown. Years ago when I was relaxed, this area would be the first to show signs of thinning/ damage when I used heat too much. I do tend to have a middle or off-centre part when my hair is coily, so this 'fragile' section is always exposed to the elements. I am meticulous in my method of applying product

I agree with you and the cutting of damage.

I love wearing my hair in a coily state but I definitely think monitoring my ends while straight straight will help me keep better track going forwards.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Y’all still in here 4b naturals? Bump bump bump. I’m looking for styling tips. I’ve been stretching my silk presses to last 2-3 weeks. The third week is the hardest, because by that point my roots have started reverting. I need cute heatless styles to make it last.