Nudes in Art Class--Christian Related

Ginsana

Nudes in Art Class--Christian Related (Kinda Long too)

Okay, right now I'm taking 5 classes in order to graduate in May and one of them is a Drawing Class. To take the class, in addition to paying for it as part of my tuition, I along with everyone else in the class had to pay a Materials fee as well as a Model fee at the begining of the semester. I knew that the model fee would involve us drawing live people, which was fine, but I had no idea exactly what it would be like. The Prof. mentioned briefly that we would be drawing two women, and three men, one of which was a real muscled dude. The semester started on Feb.1 and I'd been drawing portraits and pictures of objects, etc. but I hadn't drawn a model yet for which I paid the fee. Well, last week Tuesday, the Prof. told the class that the first of five models would be coming to pose for us to draw them Thursday of that same week, which I though again was fine. So last week Thursday I came to class and I was settin up my Drawing Pad and easel and stuff. I saw the art room set up real different, but I wasn't really paying attention because I was setting up my stuff. I was looking down the entire time. Next thing you know I look up and there is this unsightly naked woman just standing there in front the class! I was shocked!! I'm thinking, What in the world is going on here! As my brother says, "Oh My Virgin Eyes!!" I'm looking back and forth in the class to see if I was the only one who was shocked...and indeed I was the only one. Everyone else is busy staring at this woman and drawing away like nothing is wrong. I was so disgusted and upset because I didn't know these people would be NAKED! I would think if there were nudity involved, they would mention it in the class description in the course catalog. I exused myself and went to the bathroom and prayed because I didn't know what else to do. I was asking God why did this have to happen now, here, and to me?? I couldn't walk out the class otherwise I would have gotten an incomplete for the day. I went back in class and I was so uncomfortable. I couldn't even draw properly because I was so uncomfortable. The class is 2 hours long too, so imagine me sitting there figiting for all that time. All weekend this has been bothering me because I would rather not expose myself to this stuff. And soon, there will be naked men standing posing for the class to draw them too. I don't even want to entertain the thought of what a nude Muscled Man would look like! I keep hearing in my spirit that I need to take a stand and say something to the Prof. I don't know what to say to him though. How do I say to him how I feel about doing the nudity part of the class? I spoke to someone about this and they started mentioning lust and all that, but I do not struggle with Lust thank God. That is not an area that I am weak in. I have the same parts as the woman who posed! Its just very troubling to try and see these people as art you know? Am I overreacting, or wrong for wanting to say something to the prof. about this? if you could ladies could shed some light, ANY LIGHT on this situation, that would be awesome. If not, thanks for lending and ear, or rather an eye :)

Last edited:

pebbles

Re: Nudes in Art Class--Christian Related (Kinda Long too)

This is a very interesting dilemma. From a secular perspective, drawing nudes is not a big deal. Artists have painted and sculpted nudes for centuries. The human body is a beautiful thing, and you can see why artists would want to paint it.

From a Christian perspective, I don't know what to say. Is it right? Is it wrong? I'm not sure.

I will give you my personal opinion. If it were me, I would be uncomfortable with it. Jesus said that many of us sin in our thoughts alone. In the society that we live in where everything isn't as simple as it appears, the human body is not simply God's beautiful creation. It is a sexual tool. And I'm telling you, if that were me sitting in a room watching a naked, buffed up muscle guy in the nude, I'd be thinking some nasty thoughts! LOL! Can I keep it on the real? :lol:

Not only would I picture what he would be like in bed with someone else, knowing myself, I'd probably start imagining how he would be with me. I'd mentally measure the size of his penis, and imagine what it would look like fully erect. And the thoughts go on, and on, and on. . . :lachen:

In short, I don't know if I would say anything because that probably wouldn't change a thing where the school and professor are concerned. But I would probably not take that class. Keeping our thoughts holy is a job in itself, and you have to watch what you allow into your spirit and your sight.

Be blessed, sweetie! :rosebud:

Kalani

This is an interesting topic. I've been into art all my life. I have been drawing since I was little and had a fondness for classical painters(never got into the abstract stuff). Lots of famous paintings I would admire in books and musuems would have "nudes". I never really thought anything dirty of them cause to me it was art.
Well fast forward to art school and as an art major I had many figure drawing classes and the models were always nude. It was a little strange in my first year cause although I saw them in paintings, I wasn't use to seeing naked bodies in person. But I also never had a live model in front of me before . I always had to copy people from books,magazine, or try to sketch them in public places which was hard cause they are in motion. So I got over the nude thing and just started doing what I love to do..draw. I'd find shapes and forms that I liked, like a shoulder or muscular back and start from there. It was difficult when I got to the..um...private areas, particularly with men. I stall around until time ran out and that area would be left out. :lol:
I'm sure my teacher noticed that my drawings were conveniently missing those particular parts.
Anyway, I got through it fine but I love drawing. It may be a great deal harder in your case. I guess I would say go with your convictions. I'm sure some better advice will be given. I guess I just wanted to share so you wouldn't think you were the only one who has been in this situation. ;)

Ginsana

dtachi said:
This is an interesting topic. I've been into art all my life. I have been drawing since I was little and had a fondness for classical painters(never got into the abstract stuff). Lots of famous paintings I would admire in books and musuems would have "nudes". I never really thought anything dirty of them cause to me it was art.
Well fast forward to art school and as an art major I had many figure drawing classes and the models were always nude. It was a little strange in my first year cause although I saw them in paintings, I wasn't use to seeing naked bodies in person. But I also never had a live model in front of me before . I always had to copy people from books,magazine, or try to sketch them in public places which was hard cause they are in motion. So I got over the nude thing and just started doing what I love to do..draw. I'd find shapes and forms that I liked, like a shoulder or muscular back and start from there. It was difficult when I got to the..um...private areas, particularly with men. I stall around until time ran out and that area would be left out. :lol:
I'm sure my teacher noticed that my drawings were conveniently missing those particular parts.
Anyway, I got through it fine but I love drawing. It may be a great deal harder in your case. I guess I would say go with your convictions. I'm sure some better advice will be given. I guess I just wanted to share so you wouldn't think you were the only one who has been in this situation. ;)

Dtachi...thank you so much for sharing something on the situation. I'm just glad that you were able to relate to the situation. I thought I was the only one that felt umcomfortable with drawing live nudes...

Ginsana

pebbles said:
This is a very interesting dilemma. From a secular perspective, drawing nudes is not a big deal. Artists have painted and sculpted nudes for centuries. The human body is a beautiful thing, and you can see why artists would want to paint it.

From a Christian perspective, I don't know what to say. Is it right? Is it wrong? I'm not sure.

I will give you my personal opinion. If it were me, I would be uncomfortable with it. Jesus said that many of us sin in our thoughts alone. In the society that we live in where everything isn't as simple as it appears, the human body is not simply God's beautiful creation. It is a sexual tool. And I'm telling you, if that were me sitting in a room watching a naked, buffed up muscle guy in the nude, I'd be thinking some nasty thoughts! LOL! Can I keep it on the real? :lol:

Not only would I picture what he would be like in bed with someone else, knowing myself, I'd probably start imagining how he would be with me. I'd mentally measure the size of his penis, and imagine what it would look like fully erect. And the thoughts go on, and on, and on. . . :lachen:

In short, I don't know if I would say anything because that probably wouldn't change a thing where the school and professor are concerned. But I would probably not take that class. Keeping our thoughts holy is a job in itself, and you have to watch what you allow into your spirit and your sight.

Be blessed, sweetie! :rosebud:

Pebbles thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Its good to know that I am not alone in feeling this way. Its hard to want to stand for something in the midst of people who are waaay to "accepting" for lack of a better word.

I appreciate all that was said thus far though..

sillygurl18

I'd be uncomfortable. But I'm not sure if it's wrong or not. Now if you feel lust for one of the men then I wouldn't draw him but if you don't I'd try to get over it. But that's just my opinion especially since I'm not in the situation and I cant draw a lick anyway.

toinette

Tricking the president
well, i dont think that there would be anything wrong with the situation from a religious point of view because the intent is non-sexual. it;s like doctors who perform operations where the patients body is exposed. there is nothing inherently sexual abotu the position. now, if you start fantasizing and stuff like that, i guess then you would have another "issue" on your hands. but you seem to sound mostly disgusted by the whole situation which might hinder the breeding of attraction so i think you;re pretty safe.

Lovelylocs

toinette said:
well, i dont think that there would be anything wrong with the situation from a religious point of view because the intent is non-sexual. it;s like doctors who perform operations where the patients body is exposed. there is nothing inherently sexual abotu the position. now, if you start fantasizing and stuff like that, i guess then you would have another "issue" on your hands. but you seem to sound mostly disgusted by the whole situation which might hinder the breeding of attraction so i think you;re pretty safe.
Exactly! ITA. Nudity in itself is not perverted. It is people who pervert it. People should be able to walk around each other naked and not think anything sexual or "nasty" about it. They should be respectful and not look at them in a dehumanizing and immoral way, IMO. Unless you are looking at the people in a disrespectful way, then you shouldnt have a problem. Why did you feel so uncomfortable with seeing a nude woman? What were you thinking about? Just curious.