~*~nutrition, Exercise And Water For Hair Growth Challenge 2018~*~

BellaRose

Only exercised once last week.
Yesterday did 200 jumprope and upper body workout. Did 300 jumprope tonight. Will do lower body weights tomorrow.
Had a breakfast smoothie this morning. I think it tasted good but i used full cream milk though. Will try almond milk tomorrow.
Hair is still in crochet braids but i'm contemplating taking it out tonight or tomorrow. Uh.. i miss my hair although it will be a month when Wednesday comes. Will hold on until Friday to do it.

faithVA

Was doing well but was real busy last week so didn't get my exercise in. Then I munched on tortilla chips all weekend. So I'm back on track today. Need to hit the grocery store and pick up some more fruit for the week. In my mind yesterday I had enough, now today I'm looking in the fruit bowl and I only have 2 pieces left :nono:

fifigirl

Been sticking to my exercise and keto diet plans. I have lost 2 pounds i put on during christmas and 5 pounds from when i joined this challenge so altogether i have lost 7 pounds and now currently weigh 140 pounds.
Learning a lot of keto recipes so i can stay faithful to the program. I'm getting bored with the insanity workouts especially the warm ups but happily, the program changes next week so i can't wait to see what new punishment i will be serving!

Hope everyone is doing good?

larry3344

faithVA

I started run lab Thursday night. It's a 16 week training program. So we walked as a group and did 2 miles. Then I came home and did yoga since I missed a few days. Tonight I came home and rode the bike for 40 minutes. It was easier than Tuesday - thank goodness.

My eating is on point but I need to shop and cook so I can stay on regimen for next week. I need to hit up Vitamin Shop to pick up some more vitamins, magnesium and hair color.

My hair is doing fine. Nothing special going on here. Sticking to weekly shampooing/cowashing/water rinsing.

I had lost a few pounds but then spent last weekend munching on tortilla chips :ohwell:

trclemons

I weighed this morning and at least I'm out of the 190s (189 lbs). I was hoping to be at least 185 lbs, but I traveled to South Florida and I got off track with my eating and exercise.

Things are going well with the vegetarian chef, the weekly Daniel's Denial Fasting Day and exercising with my church group 2-3 days a week. But I decided to take it up a notch this month, so I bought some detox tea, appetite suppressant drops & I am participating in a plank, squat, water challenge.

snoop

Aparently, my monthly average is 67%. lots of room for improvement. Healthy eating this month has been about as good as my water intake. I've cut down the number of hours I was intermittent fasting from 16 to 12. At first it was so easy but then I started getting hungry earlier so I figured that my body wanted to be fed so I would do it. My stomach appears flatter (DH has noticed, too) but I haven't officially measured.

I have not exercised once. :cry3: Those are years of shame. And years of not wanting to at all.

My mini twists have been in for 5 weeks. I plan on taking them out today.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
This looks like my kind of challenge. :)

Hair Goals
Current Length: CBL
2018 Goal Length: APL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural
How you will achieve goal: Protective styling (buns), VERY little heat (maybe three times a year), low maintenance overall.

Exercise Goals
Current Weight: 120
Height: (for those looking for body buddies) 5'6
Goal Weight and/or Inches to lose: 125 - 130
How will you achieve this goal?: Build muscle by gym at least 3 times a week, protein shakes and attempting to eat three meals a day.

Water Goals
Daily Intake Goal: 2 liters

Nutrition Goals
What are your Nutrition Goals?: My preferred diet has been my veggies, fish and eggs and no other animal-type proteins. I broke this diet a couple of weeks ago, so getting back on that will make me very happy.
How will you achieve them?: Willpower. I like steak.

von rose

Hair Goals
Current Length: BSL/WSL
2018 Goal Length: Full WSL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: natural
How you will achieve goal: twists, eating healthier and being more patient

Exercise Goals
Current Weight: 300lbs?
Height: (for those looking for body buddies): 5' 10"
Goal Weight: 165 - 180 lbs
How will you achieve this goal?: definitely won't make it this year but if I can drop 1 - 2 pounds a week (so be below 250) and become fitter I'll be happy. Phd programs are hard enough without being fat :spinning:

Water Goals
Daily Intake Goal: Already good on water intake (I only drink water, unsweetened tea, or unflavored seltzer)

Nutrition Goals
What are your Nutrition Goals?: To manage my PCOS by incorporating more veggies and complex/low carb options. Cutting out all refined sugar and most other sugars
How will you achieve them?: Meal prepping, cycling at least 30 minutes/4x a week, keeping a more regular sleep schedule

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I hadn't gone to the gym since perhaps last Sunday (ETA: The sunday BEFORE last. No wonder.). Friday I noticed a drastic drop in my mood, extreme depression, very bad thoughts. Got to the gym yesterday, but still not feeling too great today. I need to not let myself forget how important exercise has become to me. Going to try to get 3 days in this week for starters.

On a second note, I went grocery shopping today and was so disappointed. I don't know if it's just my local store, but the strawberries were pathetic. Maybe once spring rolls around I'll get some real fruit. I hate frozen and dehydrated fruit and have been surviving off of avocados and bananas for a scary long time.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. I was in and out of the hospital for two weeks. Lost 15 pounds in less than 2 weeks. I'm feeling a little better now though.

In light of recent events I'm already at my goal weight. I might start working out again next week if I feel up to it--or if its warmer because I miss walking/jogging. I've been doing horrible on the water front. I've been doing an excellent job at eating better though. I am cooking my way through my Pinterest recipes and its been loads of fun. My little family seems to be enjoying it as well.

I went to get my hair done today. Its my first time with Senegalese twists. I'm hoping I can keep them in for the next couple of months. I slightly blew out my hair before hand and I can can make a ponytail! Yay for that!

I hope everyone is hanging in there!

BellaRose

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. I was in and out of the hospital for two weeks. Lost 15 pounds in less than 2 weeks. I'm feeling a little better now though.

In light of recent events I'm already at my goal weight. I might start working out again next week if I feel up to it--or if its warmer because I miss walking/jogging. I've been doing horrible on the water front. I've been doing an excellent job at eating better though. I am cooking my way through my Pinterest recipes and its been loads of fun. My little family seems to be enjoying it as well.

I went to get my hair done today. Its my first time with Senegalese twists. I'm hoping I can keep them in for the next couple of months. I slightly blew out my hair before hand and I can can make a ponytail! Yay for that!

I hope everyone is hanging in there!
Glad you're OK now.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Got to the gym yesterday. Was supposed to go today too but I'm buried in housework and it closes at 6. Mad at myself for not going in the morning but hey...

My hair is just pissing me off all around. I'm hosting a happy hour on Thursday and stayed up all night with the 'to flat-iron or not to flat-iron' battle. Not flat-ironing has won for now, but the week is still young...

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Also, has anyone experienced getting more and more lactose intolerant over time? Before I'd be a little gassy, now it's absolutely killer bloating, gas etc for 3 or 4 days after. I love cheese. T_T And I usually put some greek yogurt in my protein shakes for extra protein, but now that looks like a no go due to the whole milk. Why is life like this :(

snoop

Also, has anyone experienced getting more and more lactose intolerant over time? Before I'd be a little gassy, now it's absolutely killer bloating, gas etc for 3 or 4 days after. I love cheese. T_T And I usually put some greek yogurt in my protein shakes for extra protein, but now that looks like a no go due to the whole milk. Why is life like this :(

I've noticed that the brand of milk also makes a difference for me. I buy organic milk, but I've found that the grass fed milk gives me less bloating than the regular stuff. I don't drink milk that much, but I do like plain yogurt.

imaginary

Look into lactose free dairy if you can. I switched out the milks I use and my sinuses are grateful.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Sigh.

So after trimming by myself for awhile, I straightened my hair and realized it was pretty uneven. I decided to go to the salon today to just get it cut, and once again it defaulted to an SL bob that it always seems to end up with. I still have terrible ends only on one side of my hair (no idea what happened there) but the rest feels super healthy. Just irritated that I have to start back at step 1, but I generally don't mind cutting it to SL since it grows the quickest and easiest from there.

Also, my hair feels incredible, soft and bouncy and so much movement - this is from an Asian lady at the hair cuttery. It still set me back $80 though :mad:.

Haven't gone to the gym since last Saturday. To be fair, I've had my hands full working on a bug in a clients software. Excuses, excuses, I know.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
The above style only lasted a week before it was limp and slimey. I never once put any product on it, it was just so straight I guess my sebum actually made it all the way to the ends. Now that I've washed it looks dull again. Thinking of revisiting my blue-black hair dye this weekend. :D

Worked out Wednesday and today (Saturday). Need to get two more days into the week and I'm sure I'll start feeling better. Diet has been bad tho.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Been sticking to my exercise and keto diet plans. I have lost 2 pounds i put on during christmas and 5 pounds from when i joined this challenge so altogether i have lost 7 pounds and now currently weigh 140 pounds.
Learning a lot of keto recipes so i can stay faithful to the program. I'm getting bored with the insanity workouts especially the warm ups but happily, the program changes next week so i can't wait to see what new punishment i will be serving!

Hope everyone is doing good?

Do you mind sharing some of your recipes?

I juuuuuust invested in a Paleontologist cookbook, but I think Keto might work better for me. I wish I'd looked into a Keto earlier.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Health, Diet, and Fitness
  • Water intake was great this week.
  • Taking two Slow Fe iron pills every other day is one of the best ideas to hit me! :up: Iron intake is consequently excellent.
  • I got in a workout finally. :smile:
  • I've been eating more Keto than Paleo lately. I think Keto might be the way to go for me.
  • I've been drinking Keto Bullet Green Tea with my hyaluronic acid, collagen, and Vitamin C powder. :eek: :love3: Delicious! Where has this been all of my life.
Hair Care
  • Just made new batches of CurlyProverbz DIY hair tea and oil.
  • I've settled upon two-strand twist outs as my HHJ go-to style. YouTube's pashtash is my inspiration.
  • I'm adapting dubaidee4c's streamlined max hydration method, and it's working, and I love it.
  • New technique: I can skip prepoo predetangling because 22nd Century Natural Shampoo bar for predetangling and full detangling with the KareCo Tangle Buster brush is amazing for my hair.
I'm thinking about trialing CRN vitamins supplemented with chlorella. I just ordered RoyalHerbalOrganics Fermented Rice Water products.

I feel like I'm gradually developing a good regimen and good health practices for optimal hair growth. :yep: :up: :smile:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Yay! Thanks for this, @Evallusion!

Hair Goals
Current length:

View attachment 419505 View attachment 419515 View attachment 419511 View attachment 419507

2018 goal length: FULL APL, longest layers MBL (at the least :smile:)
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural since May 2014.
How you will achieve goal:
  • I maintain an ends care routine.
  • I wear my hair stretched: (1) banded twists to a twist out, (2) twist out bun, (3) etc.
  • I stimulate my scalp via vigorous scalp massages (with an ayurvedic growth oil) every other day.
  • I keep my macronutrient and micronutrient levels on point for health and hair growth: I take a food-grade one-a-day, Slow Fe iron supplement, and a daily dose of collagen + hyaluronic acid powder in a mug of grape juice. I follow this eating plan (sample 3-week menu is here).
Exercise Goals
Current weight: 138.6 lbs
Height (for those looking for body buddies): 5 feet 2.5 inches
Goal weight and/or inches to lose: 15.6 lbs for a weight of 123.0 lbs
How will you achieve this goal?:
Water Goals
Daily intake goal: 64 ounces per day or more

Nutrition Goals
What are your nutrition goals?:
  • To keep my iron levels up.
  • To be consistent with my collagen intake.
  • To be consistent with a multivitamin.
  • To follow this eating plan (sample 3-week menu is here), which includes many of the foods that grow hair.
  • To trial Curls liquid vitamin, eventually.
  • To introduce a spirulina/chlorella tablet again, eventually, once I've mastered the intake of my other vitamins and supplements.
How will you achieve them?:
  • I use the meal plan I have developed.
  • I prep my water bottle, breakfast, snack #1, and lunch at night and pack them with me in the morning.
  • I take my iron pill, multivitamin, and collagen+hyaluronic acid mix at night to ensure they get taken (and not postponed or forgotten due to a hectic morning or something).

2018 Quarter 2 Update

Hair
  • Regimen:
    I have adapted dubaidee4c's streamlined method of doing the Max Hydration Method. For moisture, I will aim to wash twice a week--typically Monday and Thursday. DIFFERENCE: I will incorporate fermented rice water and ayurveda into my regimen.
  • Major discoveries: (1) Bronner Brothers Firm Hold Curling gel gives me a great wash and go that keeps my tangles at bay with a super hold. (2) I can drastically minimize breakage and mechanical damage if I predetangle with the 22nd Century Natural Shampoo Bar until I can finger comb, and then continue detangling with the KareCo Tangle Buster Brush and that same shampoo bar.
  • Styling for retention:
    Mainly 12 two-strand twists installed for a twist out. Maintain at night by chunky retwisting, banding the twists, and covering the twists with a loc sock -looking head covering (from Walgreens).
  • Focal products:
    22nd Century Natural Shampoo Bar (as my cleansing predetangler and detangler), rhassoul clay wash, Malibu C Hard Water shampoo (as rarely needed; perhaps once every 6-8 weeks), Komaza Care Hair Protein Strengthener as needed, various deep conditioners such as SM Manuka Honey masque, CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Tea, Jakeala Shea Amla Hair Parfait (esp. on ends), Bronner Brothers Firm Hold Curling Gel, The Mane Choice Tropical Moringa Pearly Braid Out Glaze, and CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil .
  • Products I will trial:
    RoyalHerbalOrganics Fermented Rice Water bundle (bar, liquid cowash/no poo, conditioner)
Exercise
  • This has been the biggest challenge. Currently my goal is to get to a certain level of fitness at home and then start seeing a personal trainer I found.
Water
  • This has gone pretty well, mainly because I have been prepping my water bottle at night and traveling with it.
Nutrition
  • I will trial Camille Rose Natural Super Food supplement: I like that it addresses both health and hair.
  • I trialed many different things last quarter. Vegan, pesco-vegan, pescaterian, Paleo, and Keto. So far Keto is easiest and most effective. I'm actually currently doing a modified Keto: I still eat oranges, apples, and sweet potatoes. I'm not giving those up. LOL.
  • I began taking two Fe Slow Release iron pills every other day, and that has worked INCREDIBLY well.
  • Keto Bulletproof Green Tea has been a GAME CHANGER. I mix in my collagen and hyaluronic acid powder, Udo oil, and coconut milk and :up: for energy.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am finally losing weight. It's slow, but it's consistent and I'm happy. My Summer body is under construction. I started counting calories. I'm doing 1200-1500 a day since I get little to no exercise. I've lost 10lbs since March 13.

Next goal is 20lbs by mid May

snoop

Nothing really to report on the hair front. My regimen hasn't changed.

My water intake has been pretty good lately and I've been meeting my goal intake. I just need to space my intake out better. Does anyone else experience water bloat? I'm going to start taking potato starch again to see if that helps.

I'm starting to clean up the way that I eat, but I could do much better. I definitely need to find time to exercise. I want muscular abs, not just flat.