NY Times Article on Ayurvedic Medicines FYI

almond eyes

September 2, 2008
Vital Signs
Hazards: Toxic Metals Found in Health Products

By ERIC NAGOURNEY
People who buy ayurvedic medicines, commonly used around the world by Indians and other people from South Asia, may be getting more than they bargained for.
Researchers who looked at almost 200 ayurvedic products bought in the United States found that about a fifth contained lead, mercury or arsenic, sometimes at dangerously high levels.
Writing in the Aug. 27 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association, the researchers said government regulators should establish daily dose limits for toxic metals in dietary supplements and require manufacturers to have their products tested for compliance.
The researchers, led by Dr. Robert B. Saper of the Boston Medical Center, bought the medicines over the Internet in 2005. Some of the products were made in India and others in the United States, but the prevalence of the metals was about the same for both countries, the study said.
In some cases, the presence of the metals may have been no accident. A form of ayurveda, rasa shastra, involves adding some of the materials to the medicine, the researchers said, and those types of products had the highest levels of the metals. But the metals were also found in some of the medicines described as herbal only.
The researchers questioned the belief of rasa shastra practitioners that when the preparations are made correctly, the metals cause no harm.

RedVelvet310

September 2, 2008
Vital Signs
Hazards: Toxic Metals Found in Health Products

By ERIC NAGOURNEY
People who buy ayurvedic medicines, commonly used around the world by Indians and other people from South Asia, may be getting more than they bargained for.
Researchers who looked at almost 200 ayurvedic products bought in the United States found that about a fifth contained lead, mercury or arsenic, sometimes at dangerously high levels.
Writing in the Aug. 27 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association, the researchers said government regulators should establish daily dose limits for toxic metals in dietary supplements and require manufacturers to have their products tested for compliance.
The researchers, led by Dr. Robert B. Saper of the Boston Medical Center, bought the medicines over the Internet in 2005. Some of the products were made in India and others in the United States, but the prevalence of the metals was about the same for both countries, the study said.
In some cases, the presence of the metals may have been no accident. A form of ayurveda, rasa shastra, involves adding some of the materials to the medicine, the researchers said, and those types of products had the highest levels of the metals. But the metals were also found in some of the medicines described as herbal only.
The researchers questioned the belief of rasa shastra practitioners that when the preparations are made correctly, the metals cause no harm.

Hmm.. I may be going into conspiracy mode, but I wonder who funded this study? The black hair care industry is worth billions of dollars, and who knows how popuar boards like LHCF, BHM, and Nappturality are. Could it be that because black women are leaving the black hair care market and into other ones, the black hair care industry is feeling the punch?... Just a thought. :yep:

naturalgurl

Someone posted this before. My question is, how can America even speak on this when they've poisoned this land and many people for years and lie about it???

naturalgurl

Hmm.. I may be going into conspiracy mode, but I wonder who funded this study? The black hair care industry is worth billions of dollars, and who knows how popuar boards like LHCF, BHM, and Nappturality are. Could it be that because black women are leaving the black hair care market and into other ones, the black hair care industry is feeling the punch?... Just a thought. :yep:

:yep: I believe that more!

ImFree27

Yup, I think black hair care people and medical doctors are feeling it in their pockets so of course their going to try to put down alternative medicines because its cheaper to use ayurvedic and they want us to spend money, why are they not testing all these prescription drugs, the side effects, the damage it causes you in the long run, I don't see any articles on that and all the toxicity in the American made hair produts that is so expensive...I will still use Indian prodcuts and natural medicines, its saving me money and my health is a lot better. just like there making commericals say how high frutocose corn syrup, comes from corn, so its good for you because corn supposed to be a vegetable, but I thought it was a starch....and High frutocse corn syrup is not natural and its not healthy....

almond eyes

I definitely agree with your points but I work in the Congo, and everyone is always laughing at how the medicines from India that they have here are expired and are very often dangerous. I guess it's important to know exactly where you get your herbs and oils from because not all of them are up to a safe standard and many times these people use dangerous fillers just to make money so no I don't agree that there is any consipiracy behind this study. Not because something is from India or China makes it good, authentic or safe. But I am a big proponent of eastern philosophy towards health.

Best,
Almond Eyes

naturalgurl

Yup, I think black hair care people and medical doctors are feeling it in their pockets so of course their going to try to put down alternative medicines because its cheaper to use ayurvedic and they want us to spend money, why are they not testing all these prescription drugs, the side effects, the damage it causes you in the long run, I don't see any articles on that and all the toxicity in the American made hair produts that is so expensive...I will still use Indian prodcuts and natural medicines, its saving me money and my health is a lot better. just like there making commericals say how high frutocose corn syrup, comes from corn, so its good for you because corn supposed to be a vegetable, but I thought it was a starch....and High frutocse corn syrup is not natural and its not healthy....

The new drugs come out, two months later the ambulance chasers(malpractice lawyers-don't mean to offend anyone) have commercials saying "Have you had ________ side effects or had a family member die from taking _______, call MR. Blah Blah and get your settlement.

I've seen the new high fructose commercials. Both of my eyebrows were raised on that one!

Almond eyes, I see where you are coming from. But when you live where they tell you things are good and aren't just so they can capitalize from it and put a stamp of approval from the government on it, you shrug off warnings. I do understand that in underdeveloped countries their drugs might be below par. I guess it's a chance we all take. All I can say is, I see a difference in using my ayurvedic products in my hair. If I had to pick a poison, I'd choose the one that shows a marked difference and makes me feel better than the one that makes my hair fall out and raves that it's really good for me. What a world we live in. I'm going to plant my own garden, but I need a huge box to put my own dirt in...

jamaraa

So the NYT reprinted what the LATimes did? OK. Of course, most of this has to do w/ internal patent medicines. Don't take anything by mouth and you remove the vast majority of worries here.

I'm a major skeptic for many reasons, but not because I think it has anything to do w/ the Black hair care market. LOL...Indo-Pakistanis are the largest buyers of Veda by far. Black women only represent the tiniest market for this stuff.

ImFree27

In the hair care industry black women spend more than any other race. we represent 80% of their profits, its a proven fact......

shocol

Yes, I have heard this before. This is one of the reasons why I don't take Ayurvedic herbs internally.

jamaraa

In the hair care industry black women spend more than any other race. we represent 80% of their profits, its a proven fact......

Yes, I know this...however ayurveda is FAR more extensive than hair care. Most of the articles are talking about internally taken patent medicines. In terms of the major buyers of Vedic products, Blacks represent a small amount thus far.

You'll know when Blacks are a bigger proportion if/when the Indians come up w/ a bottled formula and market it to Blacks specifically. To date, Blacks make up a tiny market and most of them are Muslims seeking halal products.