NYC Art Exhibit Lets Strangers Touch Varied Textures of Black Hair

koolkittychick

It seems like one of the women that participated in this event is on this thread. It no, this persistent need for everyone to cosign having their hair examined by a bunch of strangers is really weird.

I can assure you that I am not any of those women (as you can see from my avatar and from some of the clues in my earlier post), so no, your assumption is incorrect. I'm just really curious about the responses I am finding here is all, whether they are based on empirical evidence/experience or pure emotions, and where those emotions are coming from. :ohwell:

miss cosmic

Why would you assume that? Straight hair is everywhere; Asians know about it, Arabs know about it, Hispanics know about it too, because it grows out of their own heads or the heads of their relatives. Most of the dolls have it, so if you have had at least one white doll (or even Black one) you know what it feels like; hell, even most of the ANIMALS have it, so there is no mystery to straight, "white" hair. And every Black woman who has worn a human hair wig or weave had touched "white" hair, so there is no mystery there. There isn't even a mystery to the color, as it can be replicated fairly easily and cheaply on most heads of hair. So no, there is no need for an exhibition of that sort at all. :ohwell:

I realise my thoughts were a bit jumbled. Sorry. I was thinking of your earlier statement when you said this something along the lines of how this behaviour is sensible because black hair is in the minority and referenced white people on safari. If that wasnt you, sorry. I meant that there are places where whites are a minority and was wondering if such an exhibition would make sense (with white exhibitions) in that context. I was being facetious. But only a little

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Slll mini using LHCF

koolkittychick

I'm not african-american so i already feel kind of removed from it. The only way i could see this happening here (africa) is if they paid the 'exhibitions/performers'. Unless there is direct personal benefit i dont see black african women standing in the street for white/asian people to pat their heads, stroke them and 'get understanding' :lol: yes, i'm generalizing. In fact, i dont see any other race doing this, unless there is some monetary or other benefit. Who knows, maybe those ladies DID get paid. If so, cant knock the hustle.

I think you are right; one of the participants is an aspiring actress, so in a way she did get paid in exposure, so I can't knock her hustle either! :lol: I think I agree with you that such an exhibit would not have the same impact in another country, especially Africa, because African Americans have a unique and complicated history with our country. Even during a time where our own president is African American, we still struggle to find (and have others acknowledge) our place in the fabric of American society.As I said before, I may be many things, but I am always Black first, American second, and even though there are others out there who would try to rob me of one or the other (or both), I am very proud to be both of those things, and will stand up for them every chance I get. :yep:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I can't find the quote, but previously someone stated something about how white people are not the only one's being addressed with this display. I beg to differ. They are posted up in the middle of Union Square, not on the corner of Marcy and Gates. Let's be real about this now.

I respect your opinion. However when you are the minority somewhere there is the obvious aspect of "wonder". I don't suspect that people in Africa just accept that there are white people there and don't ask to touch straight blond hair. Perhaps this exhibit will create a platform for that open genuine discussion.

I agree there is a certain level of entitlement concerning white people that are touching and not asking. That is just straight up rude and I doubt anyone is advocating that.

Yes, this is what I am talking about. I am talking about us catering to this general sense of entitlement by doing things like this. Why would these women feel the need to do this if it weren't for these types of interactions? I went to a majority white high school and have had many interactions with white and other non-black people. Yet, ime it has only been white people who take such an interest in wanting to touch my hair. Granted, I don't mind an honest dialogue with a curious person. I have explained how I do my hair or the way it behaves on numerous occasions during discussions with a colleague, friend, or associate. Some of these interactions may have even led to them asking to touch my hair and even me obliging. What I do have a problem with is a display to satisfy the entitlement factor.

I will pose a question to you: when you say "other," what do you mean? In every ethnic community, people who are not a part of that community are considered an "other." This is only a bad thing when you equate "other" with "less than," which I do not. I am very much an "other" to non-Haitians, to straight people, to people who are not from New York or Florida, to people who are thin, and to people who are not into Japanese anime. And I am fine with all of that, because that makes me a part of many other things as a result. I presume, however, when you refer to "other," you are talking about how non-Blacks view us. Using that logic, are you saying that you want to be viewed the same as them, i.e., non-Black, because Blackness and its attributes (like hair) might be a bad thing? I assume that is not what you meant, but some other people (including the non-Black ones) might not make the same assumptions. Just something to think about. :ohwell:

Yes, to me the word "other" carries negative connotations. We are not "others." We are different, but we are not "others" as in aliens or non-humans. I don't consider people who are non straight, New Yorkers who love anime "others." I simply consider them different than me or the next person just like everybody else, but they are not "others." That word implicates an exclusionary sentiment imo. Yes, differences should be recognized, acknowledged and accepted, but they should not be objectified or made to seem weird.

I have a problem with the way in which this is being carried out due to the spectacle-like nature of it. Various parts of black women's bodies have always been made into a spectacle and while these women have made a clear and conscious choice, I don't feel it helps at all. It promotes the idea that we are something to look at, touch, dissect, poke, prod and that's it.

With that said, I respect your opinion on this, but I'm gonna bow out of this before we go back and forth and around in circles. Thanks for the discussion. :yep:

mscocoface

No way no how, not now not evah! I get enough of this at the airport on a regular. Just looking at these pics with someone touching someone else's hair does not give me the warm fuzzies. First of all do the people even wash their hands before they start touching? If they go from head to head do they wash their hands? :nono: The lady in the first pic is simply majestic.

koolkittychick

I can't find the quote, but previously someone stated something about how white people are not the only one's being addressed with this display. I beg to differ. They are posted up in the middle of Union Square, not on the corner of Marcy and Gates. Let's be real about this now.

Yes, this is what I am talking about. I am talking about us catering to this general sense of entitlement by doing things like this. Why would these women feel the need to do this if it weren't for these types of interactions? I went to a majority white high school and have had many interactions with white and other non-black people. Yet, ime it has only been white people who take such an interest in wanting to touch my hair. Granted, I don't mind an honest dialogue with a curious person. I have explained how I do my hair or the way it behaves on numerous occasions during discussions with a colleague, friend, or associate. Some of these interactions may have even led to them asking to touch my hair and even me obliging. What I do have a problem with is a display to satisfy the entitlement factor.

Yes, to me the word "other" carries negative connotations. We are not "others." We are different, but we are not "others" as in aliens or non-humans. I don't consider people who are non straight, New Yorkers who love anime "others." I simply consider them different than me or the next person just like everybody else, but they are not "others." That word implicates an exclusionary sentiment imo. Yes, differences should be recognized, acknowledged and accepted, but they should not be objectified or made to seem weird.

I have a problem with the way in which this is being carried out due to the spectacle-like nature of it. Various parts of black women's bodies have always been made into a spectacle and while these women have made a clear and conscious choice, I don't feel it helps at all. It promotes the idea that we are something to look at, touch, dissect, poke, prod and that's it.

With that said, I respect your opinion on this, but I'm gonna bow out of this before we go back and forth and around in circles. Thanks for the discussion. :yep:

Froreal3, Thank you for your response! No endeavor it seems is without issues that once they come up, don't need to be learned from and addressed in the future. While I still stand behind the overall positive nature of this exhibit, you did bring up some salient issues that made me think, and I very much appreciate that. :yep:

contsantia

I agree with floreal3. Until there's a "touch the south asian-american, asia-american and European-American exhibit" I find this a little distasteful.
Although it does open the discussion for African-American hair I think it mostly provides white ppl with the opportunity to touch our hair.
The girl whose comment was that she was only doing this to get used to people touching her hair made me pause. She doesn't have to get uses to anything.

KPH

House Head
Another image of the same girl:

Their grinning makes it worse:nono::nono::nono:

miss cosmic

I've been thinking about this and it's just like Sarah Baartman...putting black women on display...smh. what 'understanding' will this foster? Who needs to understand what? What will having white people 'understand' our hair do for us as a race, or even just for african-americans? Will it make them less ignorant? Black people have been excelling in various fields for years but we still face racism and negative stereotyping, so what will explaining our hair (of all things:look:) do for us?

I'm not even american but as a black woman this pisses me off. And side-eye to the women who let themselves be put 'on display'. I know i said i cant knock the hustle, but actually i can: self-respect, people. How can you clamour for respect and recognition when you allow yourself to be treated like an animal in a petting zoo for no GOOD reason? Yes i took it there. Smh. GTFOOHWTBS.

Jewell

Ugh this just reminds me of how they put naked black and African women on public display back in the 1800's because they couldn't understand our propensity for curves, hips, booty, and all. Those women were poked, prodded, ridiculed, and raped amongst other atrocities. I feel putting our hair on display as if it is a strange creature to be pondered or ogled is insulting and belittling. I would not endorse any such display of Black or African inherent features with my last breath. Smdh

Jewell

Their grinning makes it worse:nono::nono::nono:

Thank you! This reminds me of the Black people wearing Black face and skinning and grinning for all the Whites and other races to laugh at, not thinking of how silly they look. Some ppl just want their 15 mins of fame any way they can get it. #disgusted

ellebelle88

Another image of the same girl:

I don't get what's so funny?? This is why I don't think we are being celebrated, but instead are being mocked. These people just want to touch our hair just to say they've done it.

I also don't see how this was an art exhibit/artistic endeavor at all.

tinyhips

Seems like yet another attention seeking social media campaign and I don't see how this is empowering for anyone. If the women involved felt comfortable- more power to them- however I would not participate on either side. Random strangers do not get access to my hair/body. If someone asks to touch my hair I may or may not oblige- it's my choice. Just touching my hair doesn't teach you about my experiences or my cultural traditions- it's simply indulging your curiosity.

Last edited:

discodumpling

I get it...our hair is awesome, wondrous, and (STILL??) mysterious to some. Even to some of OUR OWN (me too sometimes!) people! Folks are fascinated with my napps they wanna know the HOW, & the WHY of it all. Kudos to the ladies who continue to educate others but I am not here to be your science project/exhibit.

EnExitStageLeft

I get it...our hair is awesome, wondrous, and (STILL??) mysterious to some. Even to some of OUR OWN (me too sometimes!) people! Folks are fascinated with my napps they wanna know the HOW, & the WHY of it all. Kudos to the ladies who continue to educate others but I am not here to be your science project/exhibit.

...EXACTLY! :yep:

d33va

Why would you assume that? Straight hair is everywhere; Asians know about it, Arabs know about it, Hispanics know about it too, because it grows out of their own heads or the heads of their relatives. Most of the dolls have it, so if you have had at least one white doll (or even Black one) you know what it feels like; hell, even most of the ANIMALS have it, so there is no mystery to straight, "white" hair. And every Black woman who has worn a human hair wig or weave had touched "white" hair, so there is no mystery there. There isn't even a mystery to the color, s it can be replicated fairly easily and cheaply on most heads of hair. So no, there is no need for an exhibition of that sort at all. :ohwell:

I've been following this discussion and I absolutely agree with you. As for the event, I found it to be lovely. The last thing on my mind was feeling objectified by it. I've (perhaps incorrectly) concluded that people who feel that the event objectifies the participants must feel that way because they are holding on to something that they need to let go of. Everything is not black & white. Sadly, some women see it as a racial issue simply because the participants are black women and there happen to be whites in the crowd. Would the atmosphere be the same if there were pics of non-natural black women touching the hair? Hell no.

d33va

Im not understanding the objection to this event. Very strange how some are calling this an experiment/science exhibit. With all the pics of hair I've seen on this forum, ladies showing off and exhibiting their hair, it makes me wonder where the "real" exhibit is taking place. The only difference is hair cannot be touched via internet, but had this been a coffee shop, I'm sure touching would certainly be taking place. IJS.:spinning:

Last edited:

d33va

I don't get what's so funny?? This is why I don't think we are being celebrated, but instead are being mocked. These people just want to touch our hair just to say they've done it.

I also don't see how this was an art exhibit/artistic endeavor at all.

Of course you don't get whats funny, especially since you were not present to know why all of them were laughing. Perhaps she said something funny, perhaps it was the spectator who said something funny.

ellebelle88

Of course you don't get whats funny, especially since you were not present to know why all of them were laughing. Perhaps she said something funny, perhaps it was the spectator who said something funny.

I doubt she said anything funny. They don't even look like they are talking about anything. He walked up, touched her hair and asked to take a pic. I'm sure he's guffawing at the mere fact that he gets to touch a black woman's hair. It's comical to him and that is what makes me uneasy about all of this.

MrsMe

Watch white folks asking to touch our hair even more now!

Vote for our fellow LHCF member, Anakinsmomma, to win the 'Justin Timberlake's Biggest Fan' contest HERE! TODAY 6/9 IS THE LAST DAY TO VOTE!!

d33va

I doubt she said anything funny. They don't even look like they are talking about anything. He walked up, touched her hair and asked to take a pic. I'm sure he's guffawing at the mere fact that he gets to touch a black woman's hair. It's comical to him and that is what makes me uneasy about all of this.

You doubt? Do you have any proof that what you typed is what happened or is this mere hearsay?

discodumpling

Somebody gon get hurt. Feelings or otherwise. Folks gon get bold touch the wrong black chick and draw back a nubb...

There is a woman in my fittness cert class who has an awesome fro. I am mesmerized by it and I plan to ask her if I can touch it today or next week at our final class! I've been watching it respectfully for 10 weeks already!

laylaaa

This is beyond gross. Do people not have access to Google Images and Wikipedia? Or, failing that, natural hair blogs? I feel like if you really wanted to learn about natural hair, you wouldn't need some questionable exhibit to do it. Ew. Ew. EW!

CurlyMoo

As an artist, I find this exhibition fascinating. But personally I would not be comfortable with strangers touching my hair. I have seen some exhibits on Black hair that were much more creative and thought provoking.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I'm all about hair. In college I've molested many heads of beautiful hair. However I never got angry over it. They played in mine, I played in theirs. It was awesome and it was no biggie. Then again, these were friends/associates/acquaintances so they weren't random people off the street. Once I did have a handsome stranger brush my bangs from my eyes and run his fingers through my hair but I digress. :blush: :look:

The biggest concern I'd have over random strangers is 1. Personal space and 2. Clean hands.

I don't tie my Blackness into or equate slavery to someone wanting to touch my grass. Does that make me naive? Perhaps... according to some folks. My hair is different... I get it. It took me a while to walk away from the chemicals and embrace what I have. It ain't that serious that I have to give a psych analysis as to why someone would/wouldn't want to do this. There are more pressing issues in the world. Hell... I'M amazed by MY hair!! How can I expect someone else NOT to be? :lol: Does that mean I want to be someone else's personal petting zoo? Not really... but I wouldn't rule it out 100%. Carry on.