October 2016: Hits & Misses

Honi

There is no board.
Pre-poo and steam post 6 months = less hair loss. I don't know why I didn't do this before. My tangles were out of control because my hair was dry. I knew if I jumped in the shower and wet my hair it would really seize and clump so I mixed conditioner, coconut milk and avocado oil (a good amount) and applied it to dry hair (I used a alot). Sat under the steamer for as long as I could and when I came out, my hair felt soft. Rinsed and detangled under the shower stream and it felt way better before shampooing. I did steam again with conditioner and oil a second time and my hair felt great.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Continued Hits (in no particular order):
Having a Large Stash:giggle: *I was able to have what I needed*
Jakeala's Beau Vert Detox Mask
Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner
Cathy Howse Ultra Black Hair Conditioner
Annabelle's Perfect Blend's White Chocolate Mousse DC'er
Afroveda's Moringa & Ginseng Detangler
Texture Me Natural's Amla & Avocado Leave-In
Hairveda's CoCasta Oil

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Yes ma'am. Lol. I usually spritz my scalp and spread with my fingres since I'm in crochet braids;But in areas that are too dense, I wash my hands and spritz on my fingers. So I usually swipe my eyelashes very sparingly, and only twice a week. Then I apply my mascara. I tested on my eyebrows first and same effects.
Edited to add mascara clause
Y'all are really tempting me to buy this now. I was just looking at Latisse but side effects and price are too scary. I've been trying out castor oil which seems to do my lashes good but nothing for my brows. Insanely long eyelashes are my newest obsession for some reason and I don't do falsies.

Daina

How do you apply yours? Do you use a mascara brush or just fingers? How often?

@victory777, I use a q-tip. I transferred my Xcel 21 to an applicator bottle with nozzle so I saturate the q-tip and then rub on my brows. I use the other end to use on my lashes. I follow with my oil mix on both brows and lashes with a q-tip.

I wish I had taken starting pics of my lashes because post-partum they shedded like crazy and become really short and sparse. My brows have never been an issue always thick and full but they were really dry. Since starting this regimen my lashes have grown out longer and more full. The bottom lashes are growing in as I had hardly no lashes on the bottom before.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Tentative new hits:
  1. NaturelleGrow's Indian Clay DC . . . Felt great going on; conditioned and softened my strands; left hair soft
Good today:
  1. Camille Rose Naturals Curl Love milk . . . I don't like the vanilla frosting smell, but it goes away; with water, this product sank into my stands and helped soften and condition it in prep for styling product
  2. Taking natural lady's advice to combine my gel with SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie. She said SMCES + CRN Curl Maker is BOMB, but I only had SM Hipo gel on hand, so I used that with the SMCES. Mixed it together in my hand, then applied it. Nice so far (still drying).
  3. Worrying less about the effect on my hair of all this tangling and detangling (knots, hair loss, webbing, etc.). Just kept it moving and said, "Oh, well. I need a mental break from worrying about my ends. Going to just enjoy my hair today. No worrying. :smile:"

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Possible Hit:
Naturelle Grow Vanilla Fig Deep Conditioner. Contains Tacuma and Shea but it also contains Avocado Oil as the 3rd ingredient i believe. I like the performance and my hair was soft but upon rinsing I got that slightly "smoothing" feeling Avocado is so famous for :( it wasn't terrible, not at all. I'll use a few more times to assess but my hair was really moisturized after using.

Miss Kane

Huge Hit:

Working in a salon and getting my hair done for free. I work there one day a week and I love it there! The owner has been in the business for almost 30 years and is very knowledgeable about healthy hair care. She is always taking classes and attending hair shows to keep up with the current trends in the industry. Since she has been doing my hair it has really thrived.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Huge Hit:

Working in a salon and getting my hair done for free. I work there one day a week and I love it there! The owner has been in the business for almost 30 years and is very knowledgeable about healthy hair care. She is always taking classes and attending hair shows to keep up with the current trends in the industry. Since she has been doing my hair it has really thrived.

:sekret: Who is it? :sekret:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@ms.blue
I've been wanting to tell you, I had to put NW21 on the shelf.

I was tryna' to do 3 weeks on 1 week off, but something irritated my scalp. I think it might have been what I used with it? But it left my scalp sore & itchy.

I had to pull out a prescription 'Poo I got from my Derm years ago to settle my scalp down and I haven't had to use that it years.

So I put it down (for now). I may revisit it at some point and use caution what I use with it.

ms.blue

@ms.blue

I was tryna' to do 3 weeks on 1 week off, but something irritated my scalp. I think it might have been what I used with it? But it left my scalp sore & itchy.

I had to pull out a prescription 'Poo I got from my Derm years ago to settle my scalp down and I haven't had to use that it years.

So I put it down (for now). I may revisit it at some point and use caution what I use with it.
@IDareT'sHair
I'm sorry you are going through this and hopefully your scalp will normalize quickly. I actually took some of the nw21 and doctored it up to spray on my hairline. So far, no reaction but I refuse to spray the rest of my scalp.

MilkChocolateOne

@ms.blue

Search some of the old Surge threads. Many people had a reaction to the product.

CodeRed

Miss: blow drying with Nairobi Wrap Lotion

My hair is kind of stiff, doesn't have shine and did not take well to this combo.

Miss: AG Xtramoist Shampoo

Made my hair stiff and I felt how drying it was even while still in the shower. It had my hair feeling worse than most drug store shampoos...

princess_z

Miss : Accidentally buying two bottles of shampoo and not realizing until I was naked in the shower washing my hair and thought, "why is my conditioner making suds?"

Hit : The GHE. When I was relaxed the GHE really was a huge miss, but my natural / low porosity / fine strands seem to like the GHE. Getting moisture in my hair is so hard, but the GHE helps.

Not A Hit or A Miss : Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Leave In. When I was transitioning my hair seemed to love it, but it doesn't really do anything for my natural hair. It could be too that I just liked it so much at first because by comparison it worked so much better than other leave ins I've tried.

Not A Hit or A Miss : Shea Moisture's JBCO Shampoo. I like the ingredients and I definitely feel like it got my hair "cleaner" than my cowash, but hard to really tell the effects because I followed it up with a sucky conditioner. Also, I may be biased because I really, really don't want to like Shea Moisture.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm sorry you are going through this and hopefully your scalp will normalize quickly. I actually took some of the nw21 and doctored it up to spray on my hairline. So far, no reaction but I refuse to spray the rest of my scalp.
@ms.blue
Yeah. It stopped once I used my prescription 'poo. I'm just glad I had some on hand. I haven't had a use for that in YEEAARRRRS!:mwahahafire:

Search some of the old Surge threads. Many people had a reaction to the product.
@MilkChocolateOne
I'm thinking something else I used didn't play well with NW21.:pyro:

So I put it away until I figure it out.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Slip-N-Slide, Knot-Proof Hair Glide . . . Likely Hit

1. Tangles slid apart VERY easily (I'll reassess this property on a full detangle day)
2. Product required me to be very, very, very heavy-handed (not sure if this was because my hair was dryer than normal or what)
3. Smell is DELICIOUS

PJaye

Hit: Having 8,439 products to choose from in my stash, which makes wash-DC days loads of fun.
Miss: Having 8,439 products to choose from in my stash, which means that for the first time in seven years my BF list is blank. I've literally run out of reasons to justify purchasing, and there's very little out there that I haven't sampled.

princess_z

Maybe Hit : SM Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Shampoo + Masque. Wash days are usually Saturday or Sunday, but because of the aforementioned horror where I accidentally shampooed my hair three times + then followed up with a terrible conditioner (Nexxus) I decided to wash again yesterday because my hair was so dry. I really liked the SM Manuka Honey Shampoo. Not a huge fan of the smell, but it did a great job defining my curls and my hair felt clean without feeling stripped. I think I might like this more than my cowash (As I Am), but I will have to use it more and with different products to get a final assessment.

Now the masque...I'm not sure what to think of the masque. First of all, my first impression when I first opened it was "this looks like my cold cream I put on my face..." It was very thick and I have low porosity hair and I was just not impressed by the look of it. Smelled similar to the shampoo and definitely was still not loving the smell. So I lather the stuff on (and it even says apply generously) and I do mean lather it on. It's definitely not something I could get a lot of uses out of which is sort of ridiculous given the fact I have a TWA. I give it maybe 3 more washes.

So at this point I realize it's Tuesday night and on Tuesdays I work late, but have to get up early for work on Wednesday mornings. I realize now this was not exactly the best time or day to wash my hair. Would have been nice if I'd realized this beforehand but I'm kind of a ditzy so this is par for the course. So I'm kinda sleepy at this point and lazy and realizing I have to get up early in the morning so I put the plastic cap on my head and sit with the conditioner on for about 10-15 minutes. Usually I do 30 minutes, heat the conditioner, and put two plastic caps on, but it's late, I'm tired, I'm lazy, the list goes on.

Then I get in the shower and usually I steam the conditioner in with the hot water from the shower. But the water never really gets that hot. I don't know what was up with that. It's possible in my sleep addled mind I had the faucet turned the wrong way or too much cold anything is possible with me.

So I wash the masque out after this lackluster deep conditioning process and my hair felt coated. It felt very smooth and my curls felt defined, but it just had this feel to it like there was still product in my hair so I wash for a long time to be sure it's all out.

So then I finally get out the shower and I look in the mirror and I really, really, really loved the way my hair looked. My curls were very defined and there was little to no frizz and my hair just looked very pretty.

Usually when I try new products this is where I stop. I don't add leave in, I might add oil, but that's it so I can properly assess the product and how well it moisturizes my hair.

But I had just gotten in Giovanni Direct Leave In and was dying to try it. SO I open that and my impression of it is "oh no, I don't like the consistency of this."

It just felt thicker than I like my leave ins to be and I didn't like the smell of it at all. But I still went ahead and used it and I will use it again tonight because I'm out of Carol's Daughter Hair Milk...but guys...this is a tentative no for my hair.

I know a lot of people rave about it and I ordered it online and everything, but I just don't see anything it did for my hair. Definitely isn't more moisturized with it. It's like I didn't use leave in it at all.

So the quest continues for the perfect leave in...unless when I use Giovanni Direct Leave In again I completely change my mind...but I doubt it.