October 2017: Hits & Misses

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hits:
-Cassia treatment. Very thickening (because I need that :rolleyes:) and strengthening.
-Bee Mine Bee-U-Ti-Ful Deep Conditioner. Just the right amount of moisture when I don’t need a lot.
-Not using heat for 22 months
-This month is my 4 year Nappiversary
-Aussie Moist. I always run back to PM The Detangler and Nexxus Humectress, but Im going to stick with Aussie going forward. When it comes to cost, amount, effectiveness and results, it’s a smarter decision. 70 pumps of conditioner adds up.

Miss:
-Bee Mine listed above. I use half a 16oz jar per wash day. Once these last 5 jars are done, not a repurchse.
-SheaTerra Mud Poo. I love researching, but this is barely 3 washes. Regular degular clay gets me farther.

Alma Petra

Hits:
-Cassia treatment. Very thickening (because I need that :rolleyes:) and strengthening.
-Bee Mine Bee-U-Ti-Ful Deep Conditioner. Just the right amount of moisture when I don’t need a lot.
-Not using heat for 22 months
-This month is my 4 year Nappiversary
-Aussie Moist. I always run back to PM The Detangler and Nexxus Humectress, but Im going to stick with Aussie going forward. When it comes to cost, amount, effectiveness and results, it’s a smarter decision. 70 pumps of conditioner adds up.

Miss:
-Bee Mine listed above. I use half a 16oz jar per wash day. Once these last 5 jars are done, not a repurchse.
-SheaTerra Mud Poo. I love researching, but this is barely 3 washes. Regular degular clay gets me farther.

Is cassia drying? Would you need to follow with a moisture DC?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Is cassia drying? Would you need to follow with a moisture DC?
I did not find it drying.

Maybe others can chime in, but I mixed mine with oil and water, and applied after cleansing. Once applied, I placed deep conditioner directly on top of the cassia. When I rinsed out the cassia, it was oily, so I lightly washed my hair (in the sections they were in) again and did a WNG. My hair felt fine.

Alma Petra

I did not find it drying.

Maybe others can chime in, but I mixed mine with oil and water, and applied after cleansing. Once applied, I placed deep conditioner directly on top of the cassia. When I rinsed out the cassia, it was oily, so I lightly washed my hair (in the sections they were in) again and did a WNG. My hair felt fine.

Thank you!

Do you do it often? What oil do you mix it with? Have you ever used henna? Does your hair find henna to be drying? Sorry for the numerous questions!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Thank you!

Do you do it often? What oil do you mix it with? Have you ever used henna? Does your hair find henna to be drying? Sorry for the numerous questions!
Not a problem.

I haven’t done a cassia in years. Right now, I’m looking to do them 1x a month in lieu of protein.

I prefer wheat germ in my hennas because it’s thicker and has ceramides. Coconut oil is usually recommended with henna, but coconut oil sits in my hair so I have to be careful with it.

I’ve used henna many times. Hendigo can take me a couple months between uses. My guess is because it is a two step process. A one step like mehendi or Napur can take me 4-6 weeks depending on how long I let it sit in. Cassia I want to do 1x a month but I might be able to stretch that to 6 weeks as well.

Regardless of the process, I always deep condition. I do not find henna drying, but it is strengthening (like protein) so it needs to be treated as so. I’ve never found henna to be drying only because I’ve always been told to deep condition afterwards.

If you find henna to be drying, you may not be conditioning enough or using it too much. Small quantities in an oil or conditioner is ok but constant use can still become too much over time.

Alma Petra

Not a problem.

I haven’t done a cassia in years. Right now, I’m looking to do them 1x a month in lieu of protein.

I prefer wheat germ in my hennas because it’s thicker and has ceramides. Coconut oil is usually recommended with henna, but coconut oil sits in my hair so I have to be careful with it.

I’ve used henna many times. Hendigo can take me a couple months between uses. My guess is because it is a two step process. A one step like mehendi or Napur can take me 4-6 weeks depending on how long I let it sit in. Cassia I want to do 1x a month but I might be able to stretch that to 6 weeks as well.

Regardless of the process, I always deep condition. I do not find henna drying, but it is strengthening (like protein) so it needs to be treated as so. I’ve never found henna to be drying only because I’ve always been told to deep condition afterwards.

If you find henna to be drying, you may not be conditioning enough or using it too much. Small quantities in an oil or conditioner is ok but constant use can still become too much over time.

You are right. I used henna a very long time ago but yes I think that I probably used too much too often. And after all these many years I still don't have a go-to moisture DC! :(

Hmmm is there any advantage to using cassia over protein?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
You are right. I used henna a very long time ago but yes I think that I probably used too much too often. And after all these many years I still don't have a go-to moisture DC! :(

Hmmm is there any advantage to using cassia over protein?

For me it is just less annoying. For me to use protein, I have to use hard protein and that consists of having to sit under a dryer to get the full effect. I’m lazy :laugh: so I want to put something in and lay down. Also, with henna, at least I can get a dose of color if I want. Henna also comes with its advantages, versus protein that’s just really strengthening.

Aggie

Yup. It is. I had to let the Honey Molasses go because I did not like how my hair felt after each use. @Aggie also spoke very highly of this one, looks like our hair agrees on some things.

@NaturallyATLPCH

I noticed that too. You know these are already on my BF list. I have 2 full 16oz jars of the Raspberry Mint DC still in my stash and I am using them very slowly. BF is still almost 2 months away :rolleyes:.

I am thinking about getting a couple jars of that APB Keratin Protein Mask this BF though. The curiosity is killing me and that itch cannot be satisfied until I get it and scratch it.

Alma Petra

For me it is just less annoying. For me to use protein, I have to use hard protein and that consists of having to sit under a dryer to get the full effect. I’m lazy :laugh: so I want to put something in and lay down. Also, with henna, at least I can get a dose of color if I want. Henna also comes with its advantages, versus protein that’s just really strengthening.

I got you now! Yeah I don't think that protein is supposed to thicken the strands and give shine as well. I think that I will try either cassia or hendigo some time soon.

Thank you and thanks to @NaturallyATLPCH as well!

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Miss:
Wet perm rod attempt on green rods.

It was the first time, ten at night and I couldn't get the rods to hold at the roots. After an hour passing and only securing one rod sloppily I gave up and went back to twists. I was only trying to stretch my hair to bun anyway.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Miss: Proclaim Crystal Ice Protein Styling Gel - What was this crap supposed to do? This stuff had little hold and left a weird, powdery-dry cast on my hair. What hold I did have disappeared the next morning. Good thing it was only $1.20.

Hit: Using pumpkin seed oil and Jamaican Mango & Lime Transition Creme together for detangling. - Darn near brought tears to my eyes, it was that good.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Miss: Qhemet Biologics Butter

This brand does not mix well with my hair or its staples.

I woke up with a white cast where I used it to lay down my edges. I wound up having to shampoo it out and missing some hospital time because I couldn't go out looking like that.

I used the butter before for this and it didn't happen so I can't trust it anymore.

Aggie

Miss: Qhemet Biologics Butter

This brand does not mix well with my hair or its staples.

I woke up with a white cast where I used it to lay down my edges. I wound up having to shampoo it out and missing some hospital time because I couldn't go out looking like that.

I used the butter before for this and it didn't happen so I can't trust it anymore.
Which one of the butters @Colocha?

Britt

Hit: keravada super ego oil
Miss: bask and bloom shampoo bar.
How long have you been using the oil? I have their kera1010 oil and plan to use it steadily while I wear braids to transition. I would love if it helped out some with growth lol.

Lucky me

How long have you been using the oil? I have their kera1010 oil and plan to use it steadily while I wear braids to transition. I would love if it helped out some with growth lol.
Just a month I seal with it too. Most oils make me itch. That's why I like this and it smells fruity. I'm not looking for growth though. I just like the ingredients instead of trying to make it

Britt

Just a month I seal with it too. Most oils make me itch. That's why I like this and it smells fruity. I'm not looking for growth though. I just like the ingredients instead of trying to make it
Yeah I'm not a big oil user either, but I really like the ayurvedic ingredient list. I hope it turns some of my incoming greys a reddish color lol and I like that it smells fruity.