October 2017: Hits & Misses

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hit: Aveda Smooth Infusion Intense Smoothing Masque. This worked in less than 5 minutes!!! Hair was clumped and amazingly soft. Detangling was a breeze. The tube makes it very sanitary (though hard to tell how much product remains).

Miss: Comes in 5 oz., and the price. :nono:

Miss: Aveda Be Curly Curl Controller. The online agent said it would be perfect for my hair. It's so not. The Aveda stylist I just met with says she lied out of ignorance, probably.

Hit: I can drive to another Aveda location and return it. :up:

beautyaddict1913

Hit:
Henna!!! Omg remember I was telling y’all how I needed to cut more hair...well what bad ends? Because you can’t even see them. My hair looks so full and so healthy. Henna gave me that instant gratification that I needed.

All I need to do now to get my hair back to the top of her game is get back to steaming and get a new shower filter and I’m back in business. I’m also going to buy some oils that I used at the beginning of my hair journey. I remember how much I loved rice bran oil. I loved safflower oil too because it was super easy to find everywhere locally and inexpensive.

Aggie

Hit:
Henna!!! Omg remember I was telling y’all how I needed to cut more hair...well what bad ends? Because you can’t even see them. My hair looks so full and so healthy. Henna gave me that instant gratification that I needed.

All I need to do now to get my hair back to the top of her game is get back to steaming and get a new shower filter and I’m back in business. I’m also going to buy some oils that I used at the beginning of my hair journey. I remember how much I loved rice bran oil. I loved safflower oil too because it was super easy to find everywhere locally and inexpensive.
I love those two oils myself, Rice bran and safflower.

NaturallyATLPCH

Maaaaaajor Hit: APB Creamy Oil :drool:
Perfect consistency. Nice soft, defined twist out (even though I don't care for definition, I'm all about big, frizzy hair).
I will be getting more of these for BF if I don't cave before then :giggle:. I've had this one for a while, glad I got around to trying it.
As long as I use these whipped concoctions (Jakeala's Shea Amla Hemp Castor Parfait and APB's Creamy oil) I don't need a leave in.

Aggie

Like @beautyaddict1913 said - BIG HIT:

Henna - I am back to using henna on my hair more frequently and my hair is thanking me for it. The strength and shine is amazing plus my hair has very very little shedding now. I need to add it into all my deep conditioning treatments moving forward.

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if I add it to some clay treatment :scratchchin:

Last edited:

GGsKin

Like @beautyaddict1913 said - BIG HIT:

Henna - I am back to using henna on my hair more frequently and my hair is thanking me for it. The strength and shine is amazing plus my hair has very very little shedding now. I need to add it into all my deep conditioning treatments moving forward.

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if I add it to some clay treatment :scratchchin:
Interesting thought @Aggie I love both these things but I've never thought to mix the two because of how they work, yet I put SAA in my clayo_O. If you try it, I'd like to know your results.

Last edited:

curlyhersheygirl

New initial Hit
Cantu dry cowash. This is their version of a dry shampoo. I sprayed this along the length of my Havana twists to remove excess oils and it did just that. There was no white residue and it did leave a light sheen. the products from this ACV line are performing as described which I'm very happy about.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hit: Aveda Smooth Infusion Intense Smoothing Masque. This worked in less than 5 minutes!!! Hair was clumped and amazingly soft. Detangling was a breeze. The tube makes it very sanitary (though hard to tell how much product remains).

Miss: Comes in 5 oz., and the price. :nono:

Miss: Aveda Be Curly Curl Controller. The online agent said it would be perfect for my hair. It's so not. The Aveda stylist I just met with says she lied out of ignorance, probably.

Hit: I can drive to another Aveda location and return it. :up:

I'm starting to wonder if it was the Aveda Smooth Infusion Intense Smoothing Masque alone that had my coils so soft and smooth and :drool: . . . or the fact that I used it after having prepoo'd overnight with the CurlyProverbz oil.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
New Hit: Alma powder. It really does have a conditioning effect on the hair :yep: takes the ‘edge’ off henna imo. Plus it darkens the henna stain nicely. Next I’ll be making amla infused oil :yep:

Continued mentionable hit: Slippery elm.

Y’all. I really, really like this stuff. It is an amazing natural conditioner. Now, its no macadamia mask...BUT added to my homemade concotions I'm getting close. Very close :yep: and the slip it gives is out of this world. I added a generous amt to my banana based Dc and when I was applying and rinsing it honestly felt like a commerical conditioner. Perfect after henna.

Ive also made a very concentrated tea to use as a leave in.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
New Hit: Alma powder. It really does have a conditioning effect on the hair :yep: takes the ‘edge’ off henna imo. Plus it darkens the henna stain nicely. Next I’ll be making amla infused oil :yep:

Y’all. I really, really like this stuff. It is an amazing natural conditioner. Now, its no macadamia mask...BUT added to my homemade concotions I'm getting close. Very close :yep: and the slip it gives is out of this world. I added a generous amt to my banana based Dc and when I was applying and rinsing it honestly felt like a commerical conditioner. Perfect after henna.

TFS!

So glad to hear that about the amla and its conditioning and darkening effects.

I'm planning to use organic banana baby food as the base for my CurlyProverbz DIY mask . . . and I purchased slippery elm as well!!! Seeing your post makes me feel affirmed! Let me go see if I can find where you've been discussing your concoctions :smile: . . .

Aggie

@halee_J

Okay spill woman, how did you make this concentrated tea with Slippery Elm. I have both the powder and the leaves in my stash. Inquiring mind wanna know now!

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
@YvetteWithJoy I think i mentioned the basic recipe here but its basically 2 very ripe bananas, around 2tbs honey, oils 2 tbs ( I like evoo and/or palm butter), a little water to get stuff moving and suflower lecithin to hold the emulsion (about 2 tsp) and of course the elm at least 2 heaping tsp to 1 tbs depends on how liquidy the mix comes out. Then I let it sit for a few mins to thicken up.

These measurements are approx. lol Im one those annoying “I-just-eyeball-stuff” people. I add seaweed “tea” sometimes (basically take some dried seaweed and boil the steep o/n) and yesterday I used almond milk instead of water

@Aggie the tea is literally put it a good bit in a relatively small amt of water and let it steep, then strain. I aslo mix it with some flax gel to get my rollersets hold. Im still in the experimental phase with this but I like it so far.

Aggie

@YvetteWithJoy I think i mentioned the basic recipe here but its basically 2 very ripe bananas, around 2tbs honey, oils 2 tbs ( I like evoo and/or palm butter), a little water to get stuff moving and suflower lecithin to hold the emulsion (about 2 tsp) and of course the elm at least 2 heaping tsp to 1 tbs depends on how liquidy the mix comes out. Then I let it sit for a few mins to thicken up.

These measurements are approx. lol Im one those annoying “I-just-eyeball-stuff” people. I add seaweed “tea” sometimes (basically take some dried seaweed and boil the steep o/n) and yesterday I used almond milk instead of water

@Aggie the tea is literally put it a good bit in a relatively small amt of water and let it steep, then strain. I aslo mix it with some flax gel to get my rollersets hold. Im still in the experimental phase with this but I like it so far.
Thanks boo :kiss:

Lucky me

Hit: won the edenbodyworks citrus fusion hair butter and refresher. Off their facebook page

Hit: greaseless moisture. Wish I could purchase more but I don't like the owner's attitude right now

Hit: inashi gentle mint shampoo

Hit: twisted with hq 5 day moisture THAN the greaseless moisture

Miss: 5 day moisture. Mine was so stiff. It's a ***** to apply

Aggie

@YvetteWithJoy
Thanks for the link @halee_J

beautyaddict1913

Hit:
Elucence shampoo. That shampoo is bae! It cleanses and leaves my hair soft without taking away my elasticity! I’m sad that I neglected to try it sooner

Miss:
Getting a custom wig. Okay first of all I gave the hairstylist six bundles and I don’t think she used them all but I’m no expert to be blaming folks so I will fault myself for that...secondly I dropped the wig off to be corrected on Saturday and it’s still not ready today. I’m over here looking like Queen Latifah’s stunt double from Set It Off, with these cornrows going around my head. I was able to work from home today but tomorrow I have to get on the good foot. I hope it’s ready by morning.

GGsKin

Hit:
Elucence shampoo. That shampoo is bae! It cleanses and leaves my hair soft without taking away my elasticity! I’m sad that I neglected to try it sooner

Miss:
Getting a custom wig. Okay first of all I gave the hairstylist six bundles and I don’t think she used them all but I’m no expert to be blaming folks so I will fault myself for that...secondly I dropped the wig off to be corrected on Saturday and it’s still not ready today. I’m over here looking like Queen Latifah’s stunt double from Set It Off, with these cornrows going around my head. I was able to work from home today but tomorrow I have to get on the good foot. I hope it’s ready by morning.

I'm sorry that you are having this issue at the minute but the bolded made me chuckle.