Odor from braided extentions...

Miosy

I am 2 weeks into having braided extentions with 100% kaneolkin hair. I also preteated the hair before I used it. I washed my hair and scalp this past sat. and I washed again yesterday because I exercise often and sweat toooo much. I noticed an odor not on the root but the braided plait part of the hair???? So I washed again this moring with a mild clairfier and I let it air dried and the scent is still there. It's not strong but I smell it and I know my husband will too.

What can I do to get rid of it? I already wash 3x this week

Nonie

I don't use synthetic hair, but I do find human hair can have a smell too. Usually goes after a couple of washes or so, so I don't know what to suggest for the hair you have.

Did you wash the hair before using it, the way Robin ( www.growafrohairlong.com ) suggests? Maybe go see how she prepares her extension hair before braiding and see if her method (ie whatever she uses -- I don't remember) might help.

Miosy

I did wash the hair the way Robin suggested. My hair is totally dry now and the smell somewhat faded so I guess your right, a couple of washes will do

Thnxs

Innocent_Kiss

Just make sure you thoroughly dry your hair after each wash. I had an order from product build up and moisture my hair and scalp that never obsorbed. Go easy on the products and make sure your hair is thoroughly dry. If water sits on your scalp for a long period of time it can turn into mold
Even if you have to use a blowdryer on a cool air setting to assist the drying

Shatani

[ QUOTE ]
Innocent_Kiss said:
Just make sure you thoroughly dry your hair after each wash. I had an order from product build up and moisture my hair and scalp that never obsorbed. Go easy on the products and make sure your hair is thoroughly dry. If water sits on your scalp for a long period of time it can turn into mold

[/ QUOTE ]how do you thoroughly dry the hair without the use of a blow dryer??
~T~

Innocent_Kiss

[ QUOTE ]
Shatani said:
[ QUOTE ]
Innocent_Kiss said:

[/ QUOTE ]how do you thoroughly dry the hair without the use of a blow dryer??
~T~

[/ QUOTE ]

Time? I don't trust the length of time anymore with braids. Especially at the base. Water somehow gets trapped and can cause an order. So I do recommend blow drying or even a diffuser

CocoaButterflyy

not letting your hair properly dry and not ringing it out with a towel long enough will make it have a mildewy odor. Also since youve washed it 3 times thatweek the braids pobably are still damp. Section your hair and wring them out like a towel when you are still in the shower and once youve wrung each section do it again and then towel dry and air dry