Officially Joining the Transitioners!

L

LaNecia

Ok, I've finally decided to officially announce that I'm transitioning! :)

It's taken a long time (8 months to be exact) to come to this poing but I've done it so I'm in for the long haul. I'm without my braids and am wearing flat twists in the front w/a phony pony for the back. I've NEVER been this long without chemicals since I started doing my hair myself some 20+ years ago (am I really that old? :eek: ).

I took my braids down Saturday and washed my hair :( , I never really realized my own texture before! It got so BIG and fluffy :eek: , I used a half a bottle of conditioner just to get through it, over the course of the weekend, I've used 1 bottle of V05 Strawberries and Cream, just to get it in a pony tail. I called myself doing a braid out Saturday night, :lachen: . Come Sunday morning I :cry3: at one point cause it just wouldn't cooperate. There was NO getting a comb through this stuff! I looked like a tumble weed. My husband really tried NOT to laugh, so I wasn't too mad. I did two conditioning treatments and 1 hot oil treatment to try to infuse some moisture, it definitely helped A LOT. I'm DEFINITELY a 4a, the back and sides have this cute little curl pattern that is very small, but cute. The top, I'm not sure what's going on with that, it's got this kinda wave thing going, definitely not curly like the back. The nape area is 4A but it's very soft (which explains why it kept breaking off when I was relaxing it, it would never get longer than 1 1/2 inch before it'd break off, it's currently 3 inches long and growing, same for the temple area.

I refuse to do the big chop so I'm growing out using braids, phonies and protective styling. I'll trim about a half inch per month until the perm is gone and from there, I'm not sure how I'm going to wear my hair because I've been so conditioned over the years of 'straight and flat hair'. Sigh.....

If anyone wants to be my transitioning buddy, I'd really appreciate it! I'm going to need all the help I can get! :grin:

hopeful

Go LaNecia uh huh oh yeah! :D Good Luck girl. I'm transitioning too but not sure I'll be a good buddy for the long haul cause I'm planning to BC sooner than later, maybe in a month. :look: But in the meantime maybe we can cheer each other on. Are you not just totally in love with your new growth? I love looking at it and touching it--and when its moisturized just right it gets so happy! This is so much fun.

rmw35

Congratulations on the start of your Natural journey...I wish you the best...just remember to always comb your hair wet with a wide tooth comb :)

L

LaNecia

Thanks ladies for the warmest of welcomes!

I see I'm in great company! :)

Oh yes, I have a bad case of "HIH Syndrome! (Hands in Hair). I'll be celebrating my 1 year Chem Free anniversary in April. I've started this process so many times over the past 10 years and have never made it past the 3 month mark so this is quite an accomplishment for me.

Someone w/a busted weave and bald edges was overheard saying "She needs to do something w/those roots..." I just smiled....:)