Oh boy...how do I take care of 3a/b hair???

WomanlyCharm

My cousin's little girl is staying with my family for two weeks. Her hair is a wonder...a big mop of soft springing curls that stretch down past her shoulders. :love: It's all natural.

She knows all about keeping it moisturized (smart kid!) but that's about it...it has a tendency to get frizzy and dry FAST.

I know it has to be washed, dried, brushed, etc, and I haven't got a clue what to do...she mostly keeps it in a big knot on top of her head, but she asked me to please make her hair look pretty. :(

Since I've never had to work with this texture of hair, what would be the best way to deal with it? Any tips on how to wash it, conditioning it, what products work best on this texture to bring out the curls?

I want to show her those natural coily curls ARE BEAUTIFUL, and she should be proud.

Thanks ladies! :)

I would recommend against brushing, and only comb while the hair is wet.

My hair is curlier than your cousin's daughter, but what works for me is CO washing and while the hair is still wet, apply a small amount of oil (optional: if hair is gets very dry. I use sweet almond oil), then some gel by smoothing. With 3a/b hair you might want to scrunch the gel in instead.

PerfectDoak said:
I would recommend against brushing, and only comb while the hair is wet.

This is what I was going to say. I never brush or comb my hair once it's dry, it would just turn into a tangled mess. Only comb or finger comb when wet.

Like PerfectDoak said, I think conditioner washing would be great for her, then use a leave-in conditioner and maybe some gel. That's about it. If her hair gets dry, my hair seems to retain moisture better if I braid it in two braids or keep it up. I like the two braids best though because it looks cute :)

I would use a gentle shampoo like Creme of Nature. Wet her hair and massage that in and it should really help with detangling. Wring it, add conditioner, comb while it's LOADED with conditioner, and rinse most, but not all of it out of her hair, that way you still have something working against tangles. I'd use a wide tooth comb or finger comb depending on how thick her hair is. HTH!

Thanks for the advice ladies! :)
She has this old plastic brush she RAKES through her dry hair...I finally had to grab it and scream, "NOOOOOOOOO!" :lachen:

Kittenlongpaw, I put her hair in two braids today...you're right, it's so cute!

I will definately try the CON, and gel, and definately no brushing.
Would anyone reccomend using a product like curly pudding or something like that? I want to show her what incredibly curl defination looks like!

I like Aura Hypoallergenic gel that I get from Sally's. You don't need to use much because it spreads really well, and it makes my hair feel really soft and well moisturized :) It rinses clean too. Good luck!

Also, I'm sure Curly Pudding would work great too, though I haven't used it :)

Yes, brushing is not such a good idea. Only gently comb her hair when wet. Cowashing is wonderful. If you use a good moisturizer and a bit of gel and don't touch her hair while it is drying, her curls might look very pretty. :)

Since it's only 2 weeks, I would put her hair in two braids like Kittenlongpaw said and just re-do them in the mornings after spraying a little water and conditioner-mix on her hair and detangling with my fingers. Wash after 1 week and gently detangle with a wide-tooth comb and put it back into two braids.
Good luck!
How old is she btw?

FlowerHair said:
Since it's only 2 weeks, I would put her hair in two braids like Kittenlongpaw said and just re-do them in the mornings after spraying a little water and conditioner-mix on her hair and detangling with my fingers. Wash after 1 week and gently detangle with a wide-tooth comb and put it back into two braids.
Good luck!
How old is she btw?

She's about 8...and cute as can be! :)

Thanks everyone!

WomanlyCharm said:
Thanks for the advice ladies! :)
She has this old plastic brush she RAKES through her dry hair...I finally had to grab it and scream, "NOOOOOOOOO!" :lachen:

Kittenlongpaw, I put her hair in two braids today...you're right, it's so cute!

I will definately try the CON, and gel, and definately no brushing.
Would anyone reccomend using a product like curly pudding or something like that? I want to show her what incredibly curl defination looks like!

You could try using Smooth and Shine curl activator gel, or any curl activator gel for that fact. The ingredients are similar to Miss Jessie's CP and of course cost less, unless you just happen to have some already.

I CO wash my daughter's hair every other day. Once a week or twice a month, I use a gentle shampoo.
I comb thru her hair while its loaded with conditioner, and then rinse. Afterward I put it some oil and let it air dry, not touching the hair until totally dry.
Sometimes I mix a cheapo conditione (like suave) with suave gel in equal portions and work that thru her hair and let it dry. It dries in soft, shiny, defined curls (like when I only use oil) but the definition lasts longer.

Back