OH NO! How discouraging!!!

H

HoneyRockette

I removed my braids today and the back of my hair, which was shaved, is now over an inch long and natural. I was seriously considering going completely natural but now I am starting to change my mind. I really hope this is scab hair. It is so matted and tangled. Everytime I detangle it, it mats up again. You couldn't tell it was an inch long because it beads up to about a quarter inch when dry. And dry it is! I'm not going to do anything hasty for now. I am going to continue to get it braided until the end of the year and hope it will look better as it grows longer. I am calling out to the natural haired women and the transitioner's club. PLEASE tell me it is going to get better at some point. My hair looks awful! I don't want to say that I hate my natural hair but right about now, I don't know what to say!

Daughter

UK Blak
Hey Honey Rockette, I done been there! When I first went to a salon to get it braided the stylist calmed my fears and assured me it does get easier. I remember I had a LOT of tangles, even when I had a few inches of natural hair! And it felt like straw! I had no idea that my hair would be eventually soft with time and TLC, that's why I gave in to the relaxer the first time I attempted to transition.

It will get better, and probably quicker for you as you're armed with hair care knowledge that I didn't have - I was contantly blow drying, not applying moisture regularly

Good luck!

JazzAngel

Don't be discouraged, I have been there after removing braids. Did you do conditoner washes while your hair was still braided?

Not to long ago my hair got sooo brittle from protein overload I felt hopeless but with alot of conditoning my hair became moist again.

The most important think I have leaned about caring for my hair is moisture. Try sleeping with a good moisturising conditioner. You can even deep condition every single night for a few days. You may be surprise at how much your hair will change.

Good Luck

londongirl3

Peachtree, scab hair is hair that grows immediately after a relaxer. It is not like your natural hair because it has been affected by the relaxer. It doesn't have your natural curl pattern.

I personally don't believe in scab hair because I never had any. I also believe a relaxer if well applied shouldn't have an effect on hair within the scalp. (But that's me I've heard alot of people talk about scab hair so it must exist)

Honey, try some curl activator, it helps your hair become soft and manageable. And when you sleep, braid it in 3-4 plaits to make sure it doesn't matt up in the morning. I do warn you though that if your hair is in two textures (and one inch of natural), your relaxed hair could break easily if you try to comb it all together. So I would strongly suggest that if you haven't made up your mind, you should try braiding or weaving to preserve your relaxed hair should you later decide to relax and should you decide to go au naturale, then you will also have some length.

sweetcocoa

I didn't believe in 'scab' hair either...but then I remembered when I decided to stop relaxing my hair...it was frizzy when it first came in...and I was not happy with it...but then after about 6 months it started getting really soft and shiney...so now I believe it.

H

HoneyRockette

If I conditioner wash with braids, won't the braids slip out? I have a very short haircut. They back was shaved and the top is about 6-7 inches from the scalp. I don't have much for the braids to hold on to. I lost three braids in the back this time without conditioner washes. Besides, won't the conditioner build up making the braids more difficult to remove?

TinyT

Hey honey rocket,

My hair is 3-4 inches and is natural. I have braids and have been rinsing daily. I take some of the conditioner that I would ordinarily use and add either distilled water or a liquid leave-in like Sebastian Titanium Protector or you could try infusium 23 for a cheaper option. I do 1 part regular conditioner to 1-2 parts liquid conditioner. I mix in more of the liquid until I get a spray that is thin. I spray my braids until they are saturated. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes, and then rinse my braids. I haven't gotten build up with this method.

For constant moisture I use worlds of curls gel on the braids at night and put on a head scarf. Hope this helps.

Tracy

londongirl3

I haven't ever suffered from build up when I had braids. I usually condition wash bi-weekly or weekly. And every two or three weeks then I use shampoo. The thing with washing braids is that you can't be aggressive. You shouldn't try to scrub your scalp hard because that makes the growing hair matt up. When I condition wash, I usually wet my hair and apply conditioner over the length. I leave the conditioner on to deep condition then wash it off. (As opposed to using conditioner like shampoo then deep conditioning)

I personally have very soft hair when I take out the braids. I really like the method.

If your hair is very short at the back consider cornrowing it because individual braids have a tendency to pull out little hairs. You can cornrow the back and have individuals over the rest of your head. You can then leave your hair hanging down or tie it back but not up.

zoya_j

HoneyRockette I was there too. But trust me it does get better. If you don't want to conditioner wash with braids, try the glycerin&water. You can mix it in a spray bottle and mist it on your hair whenever you wish. I add a little rosemary and ylang ylang oils in my mix. I got my big chop in January, and my hair was verry dry and tangly. But with the help of daily conditioner washes, hot oil treatments and leave in treatments my hair has come a long way in a short space of time. Coconut oil is a good moisturizer too I haven't tried it yet but I've used the coconut milk.

Slowly, but surely