Oh, Shea!

NitaChantell

When I first went natural I wasn't a PJ and I had no idea what to do with my hair, so Shea Butter was all I used. I looooooved it:lick:. Then I tried it with coconut oil, and ugh...it would feel good when it was wet, but when it dried it would be greasy and NOT soft..if that makes sense lol.

But now...ohhhhh I love it :) I use it alone now though. I'm trying to create a set regimen and find staples, but I think my Shea Butter will be a keeper.:grin:

What are your experiences with Shea Butter?

Who here uses Shea Butter?

How!?

How often?

Do you mix it with oils, and other butters, or use it alone?

Have you ever experienced any buildup from it?

Nonie

I hated it. It felt good on application and would dry up hard. My hair felt rough and I just didn't understand why folks like it.

Not me. I avoid it like the plague.

How!?

I avoid all the clubs it hangs out in and when I see it coming down the street I turn my back, stand real straight, stop breathing and make like a tree till it passes and goes around the corner.

How often?

I avoid it as often as I have the misfortune of seeing it when looking for a conditioner or sth. Sometimes I'll close my eyes and grope my way out of the hair product aisle.

No, I used it alone. There are times when I get a moment of lunacy and I consider making Shealoe (sp?) or mixing it with coconut oil--I don't remember what it is Sonce does but it made her hair look so pretty in big plaits...but I haven't been that daring yet.

TBH, I have no recollection of whether or not I did. I think I tried to erase the whole experience from my mind as fast as I could.

ETA I do like shea butter soap though for my body...and I keep buying 100% shea butter to use as a moisturizer for my body but I always end up using coconut oil instead.

Last edited:

JuiceMobsta

I hated it. It felt good on application and would dry up hard. My hair felt rough and I just didn't understand why folks like it.

Not me. I avoid it like the plague.

How!?

I avoid all the clubs it hangs out in and when I see it coming down the street I turn my back, stand real straight, stop breathing and make like a tree till it passes and goes around the corner.

How often?

I avoid it as often as I have the misfortune of seeing it when looking for a conditioner or sth. Sometimes I'll close my eyes and grope my way out of the hair product aisle.

No, I used it alone. There are times when I get a moment of lunacy and I consider making Shealoe (sp?) or mixing it with coconut oil--I don't remember what it is Sonce does but it made her hair look so pretty in big plaits...but I haven't been that daring yet.

TBH, I have no recollection of whether or not I did. I think I tried to erase the whole experience from my mind as fast as I could.

ETA I do like shea butter soap though for my body...and I keep buying 100% shea butter to use as a moisturizer but I always end up using coconut oil instead.

:lachen::rofl::lachen: Standin there like a tree!!

I do the same thing, I end up using the coconut oil cause it's easier to apply...Havent tried the shea butter on my hair...I think if I did my hair would look turn into a huge chunk of shea butter...:lol:

Maybe it would work on wet hair after washing???:scratchch

yardyspice

I use a LOT of shea butter. My bff is sells shea in bulk so she gives me pounds at a time. I use it on my ends and when I am wiggin' it I use a lot on my hair to keep it moist under the wig. My husband also uses it on his type 2 hair and he prefers it to the Sebastian stick he was using. There is definitely a learning curve to using shea; for instance, you have to melt it completely before using it. You cannot combine it with certain products or you will have a white build up on your hair.

BTW Black will NEVER crack with shea.

Nasdaq_Diva

I've been using it for almost 2 yrs now. I purchase online from sheanmore.com

I do!!!!!

How!?

I use it for braidouts and twistouts mostly. I use it as my 'sealant' I use EVCO as my moisturizer. I have done some wash n go's and surprisingly, the shea worked well mixed w/ gel. It was a soft hold that really defined my curls.

How often?

I'm out of it right now(using castor oil in meantime) but I usually use it 1x week right after a shampoo/co-wash. 2-3x a week, I add it to my ends to keep it moisturized.

Not really mix it no. I apply EVCO first, then the shea butter.

Not that I'm aware.

KittyMeowMeow

I have mixed emotions about it. If I was on a deserted island and all I had was shea butter, I could use it.

The best experience I had was using a fork to whip it with like every oil I had on hand (EVCO, peach kernel, apricot kernel, avocado, castor). I put this on my ends after moisturizing and it defined my curls. But it was a bit too heavy for me- I prefer straight up EVCO.

lol @ Nonie!

MizzBrit

i use it from head to toe..i recently started mixing it with coconut oil and its great. i use it to seal everyday

naturalmanenyc

My mom swears that raw shea butter is a great skin moisturizer. I just bought some on Saturday.

I use Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave-in conditioner but it's so different from the raw shea butter. I used raw shea butter today in one section of my hair, mixed it with jojoba oil, and for the rest of my hair I used Shea Moisture leave-in. I did a braid out.

I can already tell that I will need to melt the raw shea butter and add some oil/fragrance. It has a very nutty smell which I do not prefer on my hair. The raw shea also seems a bit waxy.

Last edited:

Mook's hair

I've been using it for almost 2 yrs now. I prefer whipped shea butter. Specifically that which is in Bee Mine Luscious Balanced cream moisturizer. She whips the living daylights out of it.

I do!!!!!

How!?
I use it for braidouts and twistouts mostly. I have used the raw version too. I find that it is best to melt it in small per use amounts.

How often? Raw a few times a month. Whipped almost daily.

Do you mix it with oils, and other butters, or use it alone? RAW, I use Alone. The Luscious already has stuff mixed into it.

Have you ever experienced any buildup from it? Not from the whipped but a little from the Raw. It comes out easily with a Baking soda added to your conditioner.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Who here uses Shea Butter? I do:yep:

How!? I use it after co-washing, I use it on damp hair to slick it back and then tie down for smooth hair in the morning. I also use it on my 4 yo DD's hair, and it makes it soft and shiny.

How often? 3-4 times a week

Do you mix it with oils, and other butters, or use it alone? I make whipped shea butter using aloe gel, veggie glycerin, wheat germ oil, argan oil, coconut oil, and olive oil. My last batch I made I also added avocado oil to. I whip it till it's light and fluffy and then put it in a twist top plastic Glad container.

Have you ever experienced any buildup from it? Not that I've noticed.

Last edited:

CaliDiamond

Answers in bold

Me

How!?
Sealing Braidouts, twistouts, and knot outs for softer, more defined hair.
How often?
Every night before bed on my face. Every weekend when I do my twist/braidouts.

I mix it with coconut oil, vitamin e oil, and lavender essential oil. YUM!:lick:

Not at all

chebaby

i love love love shea butter. it really is the best moisturizer for my hair.

How!?
i use it on wet and dry hair. on wet hair i use it after a leave in. on dry hair i just rub it between my hands and slather on

How often?
whenever i want. i could use it everyday if i wanted and no, it does not cause buildup for me because much isnt needed.

i mix my shea butter with oils as well as use it alone. ive mixed it with coconut oil, evoo, and a host of others. for my hair i really cant go wrong with a shea butter mix.
my fave pre mixed shea butter concoction is kbb hair cream.

no build up.

Sweetgirl08

loved it on my two strand twist and twist out

How!?
I used it on wet hair while doing two strand twist

How often?
only once so far, I'll use it next time I try a wash-n-go tho :)

I bought shealoe butter from fromnaturewithlove.com

no build up that I could remember