Oh snap: About to virgin relax....

Twix

and realized that I might not know what I'm doing after that! :| Or even partially through the process, sort of. Want to check a few things before I start anything. Sorry, this is a rather long post...

To start with on info, my hair is 4b texture, and I'm just your standard fare black American. I read through a lot of threads, even took some notes down on paper (which I brought with me to the BSS and walked around checking things off). It's pretty much a TWA that, when I straightened it last week-ish, came down to almost the base of my neck in the back.

stretched hair.JPG

(That's it with it standing up straight. Bzzt, light socket hair.)

For my relaxer process, I'm using the ORS Lye, No-Base formula at mild strength (thanks for the tips!).

• week prior, aphogee damaged hair treatment *note: do I need to do this if my hair is not relaxed?
  • Prebase scalp
  • apply relaxer
  • wash relaxer out with water twice
  • aphogee keratin reconstructor (5 mins)
  • rinse; wash with neutralizing shampoo (I got the ORS neutralizing shampoo)
  • shampoo with regular shampoo (will not use the clarifying shampoo)
  • Deep condition for at least 1/2 hour (will be a personal mix w/infusium 23 moisturology as a base)
  • rinse, leave-ins, air dry

I'm not sure whether I want to texlax (a new term and concept for me) or bone straight, but I am aiming to have rather healthy hair that I will be able to curl down the road, as I love spiral curls. I also plan on coloring it once I get some considerable length to it. I have read that some include a tablespoon of EVOO in their relaxers, though that usually seems to result in texlax texture, even though it helps to slow down the relaxer during application.

I will be reading more into it, but also, what steps should I take to maintaining the condition and length of my hair on a daily basis, thereafter? As a natural I pretty much made sure to cowash one or twice a week, w/the kertain treatment every other week, and I kept a leave-in conditioner and some Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme on it. From what I remember of my past experience with relaxers, washing my hair made it get curly again... Hence much overlapping at that time to "fix" and "restraighten" the poor thing.

If you got this far, thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

msa

I'm not a relaxed head so I won't give you any advice...I'm sure some will chime in. I'm just wondering why you're using an extra strength relaxer? It seems like most people use regular and using extra strength is a recipe for overprocessing, breakage, and damage. Also, if you want to texlax it would make more sense to use a mild relaxer, not an extra strength.

And, since this is a virgin relaxer and you're doing it yourself timing may be an issue and an extra strength relaxer makes it more likely that you'll overprocess your hair if it's on for a couple minutes too long.

Irresistible

ok not an expert on this but since I'm here

I am not so sure its ok to relax, then heavy protein,neutralize, then clarify.......

that sounds like major trouble to me.....totally stripped hair

could be wrong though, but I think some moisture has to come after that protein and/or neautralizing, and I am not understanding the reason for clarifying? after relaxing, shampooing and protein?

is this a new way to do things?

Twix

I'm not a relaxed head so I won't give you any advice...I'm sure some will chime in. I'm just wondering why you're using an extra strength relaxer? It seems like most people use regular and using extra strength is a recipe for overprocessing, breakage, and damage. Also, if you want to texlax it would make more sense to use a mild relaxer, not an extra strength.

And, since this is a virgin relaxer and you're doing it yourself timing may be an issue and an extra strength relaxer makes it more likely that you'll overprocess your hair if it's on for a couple minutes too long.

Thanks for the q. I thought that over a lot as I was trying to decide at the store (because there are no returns or exchange, as far as what the signs say), and my hair usually ended up very underprocessed previously when using regular strength, even when I left it on for the recommended amount of time or a touch longer.

Twix

I am not so sure its ok to relax, then heavy protein,neutralize, then clarify.......

could be wrong though, but I think some moisture has to come after that protein and/or neautralizing, and I am not understanding the reason for clarifying? after relaxing, shampooing and protein?

I have another shampoo here that I could use; I just thought I recalled someone saying to use a clarifier after to make sure that everything got out. Was a touch iffy about that step myself, and can def. change that.

msa

A lot of relaxed heads do the protein (the one she's using isn't a heavy one, just a regular reconstructor) before the neutralizer because it helps fortify the strand. Then afterward they do a moisturizing dc.

But you're right about neutralizing AND clarifying. I would think washing with the neutralizer is usually enough but I'm not sure about that OP so don't take my word for it.

Rain20

Yeah I agree with MSA. I think you should use a mild or regular strength relaxer. Just because your relaxing natural hair doesnt mean you need a super strength. Maybe not a clarifying shampoo for your wash. I think doing it in sections will help keep you from leaving the relaxer on one side too long. Maybe get help from a good friend with some experience to help you the first time.

msa

Thanks for the q. I thought that over a lot as I was trying to decide at the store (because there are no returns or exchange, as far as what the signs say), and my hair usually ended up very underprocessed previously when using regular strength, even when I left it on for the recommended amount of time or a touch longer.

Well if you want to texlax (underprocess on purpose) that would be a good thing.

Also, think back to how you used to relax your hair. If it was before lhcf could the underprocessing have been due to other factors like the hair being dirty (I know a lot of people not on the board wash like once a month, use a lot of products, and relax on top of all of that), or bad technique as far as not smoothing it well or making sure enough relaxer was used? did you use small sections or just kind of mush it on?

It seems to me that people who aren't knowledgeable in good relaxing techniques will use a stronger relaxer when really it's their technique that is the issue.

Irresistible

I have another shampoo here that I could use; I just thought I recalled someone saying to use a clarifier after to make sure that everything got out. Was a touch iffy about that step myself, and can def. change that.
yeah girl, skip that step just to be safe, could lead to MAJOR tangles and dryness and issues

best to be safe with that:yep:

taz007

and realized that I might not know what I'm doing after that! :| Or even partially through the process, sort of. Want to check a few things before I start anything. Sorry, this is a rather long post...

To start with on info, my hair is 4b texture, and I'm just your standard fare black American. I read through a lot of threads, even took some notes down on paper (which I brought with me to the BSS and walked around checking things off). It's pretty much a TWA that, when I straightened it last week-ish, came down to almost the base of my neck in the back.

View attachment 46608

(That's it with it standing up straight. Bzzt, light socket hair.)

For my relaxer process, I'm using the ORS Lye, No-Base formula at extra strength... I've gathered the following steps

• week prior, aphogee damaged hair treatment *note: do I need to do this if my hair is not relaxed?
  • Prebase scalp
  • apply relaxer
  • wash relaxer out with water twice
  • aphogee keratin reconstructor (5 mins)
  • rinse; wash with neutralizing shampoo (I got the ORS neutralizing shampoo)
  • shampoo with regular shampoo (bought v05 tea therapy clarifying shampoo)
  • Deep condition for at least 1/2 hour (will be a personal mix w/infusium 23 moisturology as a base)
  • rinse, leave-ins, air dry

I'm not sure whether I want to texlax (a new term and concept for me) or bone straight, but I am aiming to have rather healthy hair that I will be able to curl down the road, as I love spiral curls. I also plan on coloring it once I get some considerable length to it. I have read that some include a tablespoon of EVOO in their relaxers, though that usually seems to result in texlax texture, even though it helps to slow down the relaxer during application.

I will be reading more into it, but also, what steps should I take to maintaining the condition and length of my hair on a daily basis, thereafter? As a natural I pretty much made sure to cowash one or twice a week, w/the kertain treatment every other week, and I kept a leave-in conditioner and some Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme on it. From what I remember of my past experience with relaxers, washing my hair made it get curly again... Hence much overlapping at that time to "fix" and "restraighten" the poor thing.

If you got this far, thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Everything looks good except for the bolded. Since you are using a lye relaxer, you do not need to clarify. I use No-Lye and I clarify as no-lye leaves a deposit and lye does not.

Is there a reason why you chose to use "extra strength"? I use the extra strength version of Phytorelaxer but I mix a little oil in it and leave it on for 5 minutes less than the recommended time.

Again, since you are using a lye relaxer, the major consensus is that you will need more protein.

Good luck!:yep:

Twix

Yeah I agree with MSA. I think you should use a mild or regular strength relaxer. Just because your relaxing natural hair doesnt mean you need a super strength. Maybe not a clarifying shampoo for your wash. I think doing it in sections will help keep you from leaving the relaxer on one side too long. Maybe get help from a good friend with some experience to help you the first time.

Alright then. Three educated thoughts on this sounds like a pretty good indicator to me. I just called the store and they said that I actually can exchange it for the more mild formula, so I will make sure to do that. Thankya.

Unfortunately, I do not have any friends with any experience with black hair, and will have to go it on my lonesome. My SO helps out from time to time, though, so we'll see.

msa

Alright then. Three educated thoughts on this sounds like a pretty good indicator to me. I just called the store and they said that I actually can exchange it for the more mild formula, so I will make sure to do that. Thankya.

Unfortunately, I do not have any friends with any experience with black hair, and will have to go it on my lonesome. My SO helps out from time to time, though, so we'll see.

Since you're doing it yourself you may want to check out the half and half method. Some self relaxers do that so that they don't have to worry about running out of time during application. I think there's info about it in the self-relax support thread.

Twix

Everything looks good except for the bolded. Since you are using a lye relaxer, you do not need to clarify. I use No-Lye and I clarify as no-lye leaves a deposit and lye does not.

Is there a reason why you chose to use "extra strength"? I use the extra strength version of Phytorelaxer but I mix a little oil in it and leave it on for 5 minutes less than the recommended time.

Again, since you are using a lye relaxer, the major consensus is that you will need more protein.

Good luck!:yep:

Aha! That might have been the misstep. This is my first lye relaxer, and I have been trying to make sure that I don't get the lye advice and no-lye advice mixed up.

Thanks so much! :)

Finewine

Relaxed head chiming in. I'm texlaxed and I don't do all of that stuff during my relaxer, so I'm not sure if I'll be much help, but I'll give some advice anyway. Here's what I usually do:

1. part hair in 4 sections
2. do the top half of my head with normal mizani butterblend relaxer (my hair is extremely course) and my hair will always be underprocessed even if i leave it on for the recommended processing time. I like it this way :yep:

3. wash out the top half then leave the neutralizing shampoo on while i do the bottom half
4. relax and neutralize the bottom half
5. wash all of the hair together in the shower
6. aphogee 2 min protein
7. moisturizing mizani conditioner (if needed)
8. airdry
* also, i do not use a comb to "smooth" out my relaxer b/c i like it texlaxed

since this is a virgin relaxer i would not do super, especially if you are going to do all of your head at once. it seems like it's going to take a long time to do all of your hair from root to tips and the super strength on top of the additional time that it may take just seems like you'll be overprocessed.

Good luck though.

Krymsonkween

Well all I am gonna say is b careful. I relaxed after being natural for about 1 year n I messed my hair up! I wish I would have just spent the money and gone to the salon n got it done. My hair was under processed tried to do a correction and the end were dry and brittle. I had to get mine cut off and start all over.

As I said just be careful n if u are gonna do a protein treatment I suggest aphogee 2min a mild one and also please don't use a strong relaxer get the mild one base ur scalp and oil and condish ur hair for protection!

Finewine

2 things to add
1. it usually takes about 20 mins for the top half of my hair and 10 mins for the bottom half. my hair is BSL.
2. i use lye relaxer in normal strength

charmtreese

Well all I am gonna say is b careful. I relaxed after being natural for about 1 year n I messed my hair up! I wish I would have just spent the money and gone to the salon n got it done. My hair was under processed tried to do a correction and the end were dry and brittle. I had to get mine cut off and start all over.

As I said just be careful n if u are gonna do a protein treatment I suggest aphogee 2min a mild one and also please don't use a strong relaxer get the mild one base ur scalp and oil and condish ur hair for protection!

This is the same thing I was thinking. When I relaxed after being natural, I ended up having to go to a professional for a corrective. :perplexed

If you really want to do it yourself I recommend looking into Mizani Butterblends relaxing system. My stylist uses ALL of the products on me and they work like charm!!! Good luck!:yep:

Twix

Bump! Exchanged for the normal hair formula. They didn't have any problem with it at all, thankfully.

This is the same thing I was thinking. When I relaxed after being natural, I ended up having to go to a professional for a corrective. :perplexed

If you really want to do it yourself I recommend looking into Mizani Butterblends relaxing system. My stylist uses ALL of the products on me and they work like charm!!! Good luck!:yep:

I wish. It's a little out of my reach right now (aside from the no-lye blend...).

imaccami

Here's what I do:

I base my scalp and put oil on my ends.
Apply the relaxer.
Rinse and neutralize three times, focusing mainly on rinsing.
Sometimes I wash with regular shampoo.
Condition.

That's it.

Good luck!

shunemite

This is a smoothing problem, not a strength problem. I used to have this problem so much, I'm a DIY. I had to learn to make much smaller parts and add more relaxer than I felt was "necessary" and smooth it with my fingers a second go around.

Well if you want to texlax (underprocess on purpose) that would be a good thing.

Also, think back to how you used to relax your hair. If it was before lhcf could the underprocessing have been due to other factors like the hair being dirty (I know a lot of people not on the board wash like once a month, use a lot of products, and relax on top of all of that), or bad technique as far as not smoothing it well or making sure enough relaxer was used? did you use small sections or just kind of mush it on?

It seems to me that people who aren't knowledgeable in good relaxing techniques will use a stronger relaxer when really it's their technique that is the issue.

ITA! I use Mizani mild and don't get under processed at all. Even though I used to before with a regular strength. It was a technique issue.

Twix

I had stuff typed up for a blog, but I figured I might as well post it here. A little voice in my ear told me that I should probably do a strand test, to see what was going to happen, etc., because I have never used a lye relaxer before (also because my mother warns me a trillion and two times about lye relaxers whenever I mention it to her).

I did my 2-step yesterday, and I left it (the relaxer) on for about 5-7 minutes, tops, because I noticed that it was starting to work pretty dang fast. I decided just to do a small, small corner at the bottom left hand side of my head (because I reallly don't want to snip it off to test...) and followed through with the rest of the stuff I posted.

aPhoto-0311.jpg Photo-0315.jpg

I like it the way it turned out. Looser curls... which have the option to be straightened.... am I to understand this as a sort of texlax?

sheba1

Wow.Teralee...That.is.such.a.small.difference.but.a.huge.commitment.

Have.you.considered.the.Brazilian.Keratin.Treatment?...It's.like.a.temporary.texlax.with.
less.risks,I.believe...

I'll.post.a.pic.of.the.difference.it.made.in.my.curls.over.2.treatments.

Sorry.for.the.periods...My.spacebar.is.on.the.fritz

Twix

Wow.Teralee...That.is.such.a.small.difference.but.a.huge.commitment.

Have.you.considered.the.Brazilian.Keratin.Treatment?...It's.like.a.temporary.texlax.with.
less.risks,I.believe...

I'll.post.a.pic.of.the.difference.it.made.in.my.curls.over.2.treatments.

Sorry.for.the.periods...My.spacebar.is.on.the.fritz

I have read about and been recommended several times now by several people here the BKT treatment and am emphasizing now that I have absolutely no interest in it.

OT: Is there stuff under the spacebar? Do you clean out your keyboard regularly?

sheba1

I have read about and been recommended several times now by several people here the BKT treatment and am emphasizing now that I have absolutely no interest in it.

OT: Is there stuff under the spacebar? Do you clean out your keyboard regularly?

Gotcha...won't.mention.it.again.

No.stuff...not.sure.what.in.the.world.happened.

I'm.actually.not.posting.until.it's.resolved...I.just.thought.I'd.ask.you.about.that

Twix

Gotcha...won't.mention.it.again.

No.stuff...not.sure.what.in.the.world.happened.

I'm.actually.not.posting.until.it's.resolved...I.just.thought.I'd.ask.you.about.that

'S alright. I hope you get the keyboard thing fixed. If not, a lot of discount electronics stores have cheap tho used keyboards for appx. less than 5 USD.

Bachelorette

I think you should look into texlaxing. From what I see in that pic, the strand test turned out nice.

Good luck hon!