oil sheen for sealing? Maybe?

tri3nity

I searched the forum for answers to this question and got mostly the same answer, that it wasn't good because oil sheens contained sd 40 alcohol or mineral oil. Well these are the ingredients in my Profectiv growth sheen. I find that Evoo, coconut and jojoba was just too heavy for my hair.

Soybean oil, isobutane, propane, olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, silk amino acids, wheat protein, soybean protein, hydrolyzed oat protein, grape seed oil, avocado oil, flaxseed oil, horsetail extract, hydrolysed vegetable protein, , wheat germ oil, vitamin e, lanolin oil, phenyl trimethicone, butylparaben, corn oil,( bha, bht "didnt know what these where, looked them up and it says that BHA and BHT may have antiviral and antimicrobial activities, they are antioxidants), propylparaben, parfum

So, what do you think ladies. Think I can continue to get away with using this to seal? :grin:

teacherjess

bumping for ya....

I can't really answer cuz my hair is in love with the heavy natural oils, mostly castor!

poookie

you probably could, but the parabens are no good. why not try putting a light oil mixed with some silk amino acids (i get mine from lotioncrafters) in a spray bottle, & spritzing?

tri3nity

you probably could, but the parabens are no good. why not try putting a light oil mixed with some silk amino acids (i get mine from lotioncrafters) in a spray bottle, & spritzing?

I have some of their silk and wheat! Thanks, but I'm not really that great of a mixologist. I just a capful of wheat to my shampoo and a capful of silk to my deep condition.

kiesha8185

I agree.

Do you find that sealing definitely maintains moisture levels in your hair versus just moisturizing and not sealing? I say, try to go a couple of days without sealing and monitor your hair to see how it responds. Moisturizing and sealing was one of the first things I learned when I came to the hair boards. But I ran out of coconut oil one day and ended up just moisturizing and not sealing for 2 weeks. I found that my hair held moisture longer without the oil. When I sealed, I'd have to moisturize daily. Once I stopped sealing, I was able to moisturize only 2-3 a week. It's like the sealing did the opposite for me; it kept out moisture instead of keeping it in.

But, if you're certain that sealing is a must for you, then I say be on the look-out for an oil that is both light and nourishing, because the alcohol in the oil sheen may end up causing more damage than good since it will dry the hair out.

Product Recs: Agadir's Argan Oil Spray Treament is the bomb! My hair is easily weighed down but this is a very light oil and it works well for me. It is both a light oil and a treatment that helps with elasticity. Coconut oil is another good one; a lot of women seem to have success with it, it's a nourishing oil. Another good rec is Keracare's Essential Oils, I've heard that is really good, too.

Hope this helps!