Ok - Dabur Amla Oil

tenderheaded

Different strokes for different folks! I have both and it's the Vatika oil that smells "off". The Dabur Amla Oil ($2.29,6.76 oz IndiaTown) smells like hair grease. I put the Amla oil on my scalp this morning as part of an experiment. The box says that it darkens light hair. To me light hair is gray hair:grin: I am 7 wks post and the new growth feels good.

I'll keep everyone informed. I'm also using the amla powder ($1.99,3.5 oz) to help darken the hair and promote growth!

sareca

Mestiza said:
I like the scent, too! :yep:

I used to like the smell, until EVERYONE around me started to complain bitterly about it. To keep the peace, I only use it as a pre-poo when I'm home alone. :( I thought it smelled like super strong Blue Magic grease.

LovelyLionessa

LiLi said:
I'm off to buy some more Amla Oil (I gave the last bottle to my neighbor because the smell made me sick).

I just wanted to share this with you guys. I went to the bank and saw a girl from India working there. I couldn't leave without commenting on her hair. I said "You're hair is beautiful and sooo long (past her butt). What do you use on it" She said "Amla Oil". I was like that stuff stinks but does it really make your hair grow. She was like "Yes, my family swears by it. And it does stink". So I asked her how does she use it. She said that she lets it sit on her hair overnight and then washes it out in the morning with Tresemme conditioner. She said that she doesn't shampoo either; just uses conditioner. And she only uses the Amla Oil once/week. The next time I go there I am going to ask if I can take a picture of her hair. It's BEAUTIFUL!!! I thought she was like 19 and she's 34 :eek: (2 years older than me).

Wow, I absolutely love this story, what an interesting testimony! I hope that girl lets you take a picture of her hair Lili, I know it must be gorgeous. That's was so nice of her to share her hair care secrets and it's interesting that she co-washes too! :p

I am soooooo psyched, today I went back to the Indian store and they had lots of Amla oil! I picked up 2 bottles. :sekret: I can't wait to use this for my next pre-poo. :D

ajargon02

sareca said:
I used to like the smell, until EVERYONE around me started to complain bitterly about it. To keep the peace, I only use it as a pre-poo when I'm home alone. :( I thought it smelled like super strong Blue Magic grease.

Yes, It does smell like super strong blue magic grease! I was originally thinking the burgamont grease, but the blue magic, that's the one!:lachen:
I don't care for the smell at all. I have put some w/ eo's to tone that down. It's great for pre-condition washes though. I use it in my homemade leave-in. It doesn't smell too bad mixed w/ lavander/jasmine and someother stuff. I like how soft it does w/ my hair too!

Mestiza

sareca said:

Oh, no! At least, you were nice enough to compromise. Not too many ladies would do that when it comes to their hair. :lol:

LovelyLionessa

MizaniMami said:
OMG, I can't believe I am going to buy this again after I already had it and sold it.:lol:

It happens. I know there are some products that I give a second try after using up in pre poos or simply throwing away because of one reason or another. It's like a revolving door of products, everything old becomes new again! :lol:

LiLi

Priestess said:
Wow, I absolutely love this story, what an interesting testimony! I hope that girl lets you take a picture of her hair Lili, I know it must be gorgeous. That's was so nice of her to share her hair care secrets and it's interesting that she co-washes too! :p

I am soooooo psyched, today I went back to the Indian store and they had lots of Amla oil! I picked up 2 bottles. :sekret: I can't wait to use this for my next pre-poo. :D

Yes Priestess, it was very nice of her to share. She didn't look at me weird or anything. I'm sure she won't ming me taking pics of her hair. The next time I see her there, I will ask and post the pics for anyone interested. Also, let me know how your progress goes with the Amla. I only used the straight Amla Oil once (last year) and the Vatika oil 4 times so I haven't been consistent enough to reap any benefits. But I plan on being consistent with this for a year and see if it makes a difference.

I used the Amla Oil yesterday and poured it in a spout bottle so I could get to my scalp easier. The only thing is I was stinking up the birthday party later on that day. I need some strong fragrant conditioner after I use that stuff (and I even shampooed). :lol:

I will probably put in an order for some more Silicon Mix because that is only thing I can think of that would mask that smell (besides Humecto). However, I am going to commit to using it once/week. Dabur's website recommends using it twice/week but maybe I will use the straight Amla Oil on the weekend and then the Vatika Oil in the middle of the week (the Vatika Oil's scent is not offensive to me).

Someone mentioned that some Amla Oils have mineral oil in them. Does anyone know which one? I have the Dabur Amla and the writing is not in English and it doesn't look like it lists the ingredients.

LovelyLionessa

LiLi said:
Yes Priestess, it was very nice of her to share. She didn't look at me weird or anything. I'm sure she won't ming me taking pics of her hair. The next time I see her there, I will ask and post the pics for anyone interested. Also, let me know how your progress goes with the Amla. I only used the straight Amla Oil once (last year) and the Vatika oil 4 times so I haven't been consistent enough to reap any benefits. But I plan on being consistent with this for a year and see if it makes a difference.

I used the Amla Oil yesterday and poured it in a spout bottle so I could get to my scalp easier. The only thing is I was stinking up the birthday party later on that day. I need some strong fragrant conditioner after I use that stuff (and I even shampooed). :lol:

I will probably put in an order for some more Silicon Mix because that is only thing I can think of that would mask that smell (besides Humecto). However, I am going to commit to using it once/week. Dabur's website recommends using it twice/week but maybe I will use the straight Amla Oil on the weekend and then the Vatika Oil in the middle of the week (the Vatika Oil's scent is not offensive to me).

Someone mentioned that some Amla Oils have mineral oil in them. Does anyone know which one? I have the Dabur Amla and the writing is not in English and it doesn't look like it lists the ingredients.

That's so cool, I can't wait to see that chicks hair! :D

That funny about the oiling stinking up the B-Day party. I put a little on my hand and it smelled funny not necessarily bothersome to me at least, and I asked my hubby about it, and it didn't really bother him either. However that was just a drop or 2, once I saturate my hair with it overnight, lookout! :lol: I'll probably mix mine with a combo though of olive and coconut oils too, we'll see. It's funny how dry hair can really trap a scent even after shampooing.

I use the Vatika and I like the scent, heck WGO's scent doesn't bother me, but as they say, different strokes for different folks. I'll never forget a story I read when a LHCFer stopped using her WGO and someone at work commented how "the weird homeless person smell had suddenly disappeared!" :eek: :lachen:

My Amla doesn't list the exact ingriedients either, but I have the feeling that mineral oil is in it, based on what I have heard here at LHCF.

Last edited:

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
LiLi said:
I'm off to buy some more Amla Oil (I gave the last bottle to my neighbor because the smell made me sick).

I just wanted to share this with you guys. I went to the bank and saw a girl from India working there. I couldn't leave without commenting on her hair. I said "You're hair is beautiful and sooo long (past her butt). What do you use on it" She said "Amla Oil". I was like that stuff stinks but does it really make your hair grow. She was like "Yes, my family swears by it. And it does stink". So I asked her how does she use it. She said that she lets it sit on her hair overnight and then washes it out in the morning with Tresemme conditioner. She said that she doesn't shampoo either; just uses conditioner. And she only uses the Amla Oil once/week. The next time I go there I am going to ask if I can take a picture of her hair. It's BEAUTIFUL!!! I thought she was like 19 and she's 34 :eek: (2 years older than me).

I can attest that this really does make your hair feel great. I discovered this by accident, don't know why I stopped. For you guys who still do the baggy method, amla in your baggie does wonders. I think the smell made me stop.

Mestiza

I found two different ingredients listings for Dabur Amla Hair Oil.

1.)Extract of Indian Gooseberry (Amla), Vegetable Oil, Mineral Oil, Perfume, TBHQ (Antioxidant), Colours: 47000, Cl. 61565, Cl. 12150

The following one had to be translated.

2.)Mineral oil, Sesame Oil, Canola Oil, Peanut Oil, Coconut Oil, Extracts of Amla, Fragrance, Colouring Agent, Anti-Oxidant: TBHQ

21Trixie

Where are you purchasing the Dabur Amla Oil? I was going to stop by the BSS and check to see if they had any but chose not to b/c of a post stating that sometimes these stores sell "knock offs".

LovelyLionessa

21Trixie said:
Where are you purchasing the Dabur Amla Oil? I was going to stop by the BSS and check to see if they had any but chose not to b/c of a post stating that sometimes these stores sell "knock offs".

I get mine at a local Indian grocery store. :)