OK, I'm finally happy with my hair... (real long)

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
OK, I\'m finally happy with my hair... (real long)

...for the time being.

I know the golden mantra that has been preached over and over and over again is "Detangle, detangle, DETANGLE." I however, in my ignorance (arrogance perhaps?) skipped over that sage advice, never having a problem with tangles or breakage from simply combing my hair. That, however, was before I was transistioning and 12 weeks post relaxer. The past three weeks I have been shedding/breaking like crazy. Many of the hairs had the bulbs on it but many didnt. I have also been trying to control two textures, fighting with the humidity to avoid poofy roots when I wear it straight. I mostly would wash/cw my hair in the morning and pull it back in a pony tail but even doing that I was losing too much hair with each combing. I had also gotten away from doing some of my basics like deep conditioning with a heating cap every two weeks or so since I had been doing so much product hopping.

I tried Profective 60 Second Strengthener and it helped a little but I was still losing too much hair with each combing.

I also tried Soft & Beautiful Extend-A-Perm and while the inital results were good, they didnt hold up to the humidity.

Well while doing some surfing I came across reviews for Beyond the Zone Turn Up the Heat Flat Iron Protection and Hask Straight Solution I initally only meant to try the BTZ but the Hask was right beside it and it said it defrizzes even in high humidity so I picked both of them up, along with the Cricket combs Hairlove recommended, had my hair cut, and headed home.

I washed my hair with Ion Balanced Cleansing Shampoo and deep condtioned with my old stand by Hask Placenta Henna 'n' Placenta. Immediately I noticed less shedding. I had also picked up a liter of Biolage Detangling Solution. It was on sale for 12 bucks at
Saturday's... I tried it and my hair went "WOW!" and sighed a sigh of relief...I also had almost no shedding at this point. Ion also has a detangler I purchased before I had gone to Saturdays but I havent tried it yet.

I meant to wrap my hair but I was out of neck strips so I ended up blow drying it and this was the very next night after I had just done it with the Extend a Perm, but in any case it gave me a better comparison for the products.

The Hask got my hair much straighter and smoother than even the Extend-A-Perm and I was skeptical because the Hask is a clear gel and normlly I have better results with creamy products and the Thermal straightner for Extend-A-Perm was a lotion type. I then flat ironed my hair with the BTZ Turn up the Heat (which smells wonderful btw). My hair was very soft, very shiny, very bouncy. I didnt have a problem with my roots for probably a day and a half. Even then it wasnt bad. That doesnt sound like a lot of time to some folx but when I can normally only get a style to last an hour with all this new growth, thats a considerable amount of time for me.

After getting my neck strips the next day I wrapped my hair with the Hask and flat ironed with the BTZ. Three days later my roots are still ok and it looks like they will continue to be ok for a few more days. I have had very little shedding, its back to the normal 2-5 hairs I was losing a day anyway. I'm sooooooo happy, especially since I got it cut too short to pull back like I was doing. I was at first only interested in having straight hair for things like church and a friends wedding that is coming up but now its so short I need to wear it straight until I get a little more length. I only flat iron when I first wash and sometimes I can just wrap my hair after its dried and let it straighten on its own. It depends on how much time I have.

I've also noticed that some of the creamy products that I've been using add too much moisture when I am wearing my hair straight and make my roots poofy so I have been using oils this week. My favorite besides the coconut oil is Jamaican Mango and Lime Cactus Oil. It smells good too. The Woojee cream I seem to be able to use also with out causing a problem. I know oils dont add moisture, they only seal it in so hopefully I wont have a problem with dryness. I'm used to washing my hair every day, not going longer than 3-4 days and now I'm going to have to just do weekly shampoos because of my two textures. So far my hair is still soft but again its only been 3 days. I wish Surge would hurry up and come out with their cream version because now I cant spray my roots everyday. I've just been using the Nexxus Biotin Cream.

I also received the set of 3 bone combs I ordered. I like them but I perfer the Cricket combs that Hairlove recommended as an alternative. The edges of the bone combs are sharper than what I normally use and I did end up snagging my hair somewhat while using them. I've always tested combs by rubbing them across my arm to see if they scratch, and these combs left scratches. The cricket combs I havent had a problem with and the edges are very nice and smooth. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luckily with all the shedding I've had there are no noticeable thin spots or breakage, though around my hairline there is a little, I think mainly from washing my face. Its not thin tho, and going forward I hope to minimize any further problems. I guess everything was shedding pretty evenly.

I hope this helps anyone who is transitioning with straight hair styles or having a problem with humidity.

PRODUCT INFO

Profective 60 Second Stregthener
Anti-Breakage Strengthening Reconstructor

Inner Hair Condtioner
Stops breakage, repairs damage, restores softness

(4-5 dollars depending on where you purchase it, 6.25 oz)

Stronger, Longer, Healthier Hair in just 60 seconds. Profective 60 Second Strengthners Deep-penetrating Pro-Strength conditioners and moisturizers infuse your hair with body, bounce and shine. Use this triple-action formula just the way you need it... as a rinse-out conditioners to restore precious oils & moisture to hair...leave-in to reduce breakage, add body and shine... or as an intensive therapy for damaged hair. Regular use stops teh damage of heat, chemicals, extensions, braids and styling stresses.
Directions:After shampooing, squeeze water from hair. Apply a generous amount into palm and work evenly from roots to ends. Gently comb-out tangles with a wide-tooth comb. Do not force comb through tangles! Reapply to tangled hair as needed. <u>Rinse after 1 minute.</u> For added conditioning apply a small amount to hair after towel drying. DO NOT RINSE.

Excellent for use on all Hair Styles: Twists, Braids, Locks, Relaxed, Texturized, Extensions and Natural Styles.
Ingredients:Water (aqua), Soybean (Glycine Soja) oil, Polyquaernium 37 (and) Propylene glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate (and) PPG-1 Tridecth-6, Behentrimonium methosulfate (and) Cetearly alcohol, PEG 150 distearate, Propylene glycol, Glycrin, Gelatin, Ginseng extract, Avocado etract [contains Vitamins B2, D, A E, K,&amp; potassium], Arnica extract, Horsetail extract, oxygen-eniched Jojoba oil, Phenyl trimethicone, steralkonium chloride, Cholesterol, Corn (Zea Mays) oil, (and) BHA (and) BHT, DMDM hydantoin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance, Pylacert Orange.

WARNING: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. HAIR BURNS, KEEP AWAY FROM FLAME.

Ion Balanced Cleansing Shampoo
Gentle Cleanser for All Hair Types
Adds flexiblility, strength and healthy shine

(4.49 with sally's card, 4.99 without, 16 oz)

-Wheat proteine for strength and resilence
-Panthenol adds body and shine

Balanced Cleansing Shampoo for daily use adds body, bounce and unbelievable shine. Thoroughly yet gently cleanses all hair types. After only one use, hair appears noticeably stronger and easier to manage.
SALON DIRECTIONS: Apply a small amount of this concentrated pH balanced formula to wet hair and work into a rich lather. Rinse thoroughly and repeat if necessary.
INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, TEA-Dodecylbenzensulfonate, Lauramide DEA, Stearamide DIBA-Sterate, Sodium Chloride, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenathus (Lemongrass) Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Extract, Linum Usitatissimum (linseed) Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) Oil, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Phosphoric Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance (Parfum)

Hask Straight Solution
Protects Hair from all damage due to heat styling appliances | Formulated for use with ceramic flat irons &amp; all electrical styling tools | shines, smooths, &amp; defrizzes hair even in high humidity | Ion- enriched infused complex rich in anti-oxidants &amp; vitamins | protects hair from harmful UV rays | Alcohol free | Makes all types of hair straight &amp; satiny smooth from shampoo to shampoo

(5.49 with sally's card, 5.99 without, 8oz)

Get ready for salon quality straight hair with a silky smooth finish. It will keep your hair shiny and de-frizzed even in high humidity. For the best results use with your favorite ceramic flat iron or electrical styling tool.

DIRECTIONS: Dispense into palm of hand. Distribute btween palms and massage well into damp hair. DO NOT RINSE OUT. Style as usual.
INGREDIENTS: Water(Aqua), Polyquaterium-55, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Disodium EDTA, Oleth-20, Fragrance (Parfum).

BEYOND THE ZONE
Turn Up the Heat Flat Iron Protection

Helps shield hair from heat damage | Heat protection spray | Alcohol free

(5.49 with sally's card, 5.99 without, 8.5 oz)

-Use with flat irons or any heated appliances to protect hair from heat damage
-Leaves hair soft and manageable while providing a luxurious shine
SALON DIRECTIONS: For use on damp or dry hair. Hold bottle 6-8 inches from hair, spray lightly and comb through to the ends. Use any heated appliance to achieve desired style.
INGREDIENTS CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, NEOPENTYL GLYCOL, DIETHYLHEXANOATE, DIISOPROPYL SEBACATE, DIISOPROPYL ADIPATE, RETINYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, ETHYLHEXYL, METHOXYCINNAMATE, FRAGRANCE(PARFUM)

Jamaican Mango &amp; Lime Cactus Oil
Extracts &amp; Retains Natural Moisture | Prevents Breakage | Lubricates &amp; Heals

(4.99 in most places, 4 oz, I got it on sale for 1.50 as sallys is discontinuing the product, Their products are marketed to folx with natural hair and twists, but I think most anyone can use them. The cactus serum is very nice too and helps me control my new growth as well)

Rasta Locks &amp; Twists Products were developed from an Ancient Jamaican recipe used by Rastafarians in the fertile hills of Jamaica. The cactus plant survives and grows in the driest of climates by extracting and retaining moisture from the environment. Cactus extract ingredients are specifically designed to moisturize and condition dry, damaged, thinning locks and keeps them fresh, healthy, natural and well groomed. For best results use all other Rasta Locks Products.
Daily Use: Apply cactus oil to locks and twists and massage for three minutes.
Hot oil treatment: Pour cactus oil into a container of warm water. Apply to locks &amp; scalp. Massage evenly with a moist towel for 5 minutes or place a plastic cap over locks and sit under dryer for 3 minutes. Rinse optional. Always remember to retwist using locking gel or locking creme wax.
Ingredients: CACTUS OIL, CACTUS ROOT EXTRACT OIL, CARROT OIL, TEA TREE OIL, GINKO OIL, OLIVE OIL,ALOE OIL, SHE BUTTER OIL, MANGO EXTRAT, LIME EXTRACT, JOJOBA OIL, HIBISCUS OIL, SEA GRAPE OIL, PASSION FRUIT OIL &amp; FRAGRANCE.

Please over look and spelling errors. Any of the other products I mentioned I have either listed the ingredients for in previous posts or they have been posted several other places throughout forums.

/images/graemlins/wave.gif

itismehmmkay

Re: OK, I\'m finally happy with my hair... (real long)

lol...dang, that is long... /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

But I sure am happy that you're satisfied. I know all too well, the feeling of being disappointed with your hair.

BTW...that mango and lime cactus oil sounds interesting... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

dina32

Thanks for the info E. Glad that you found a regimine that works for you!

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo

I'm very interested in that Hask Straight solution. I have a brand new ceramic flat iron I got as a gift and have not used yet. I've been thinking of wearing my hair straight for my anniversay but I won't let a flat iron near my hair without protection. Thanks for the review.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

/images/graemlins/clap.gif I'm glad u have found something that works for your hair that makes u happy...

I am currently transitioning as well &amp; have almost 9 weeks of new growth &amp; detangling my hair is a mess. So I have decided 2 only wash my hair every 2 weeks 2 avoid so much combing. After I wash my hair, I either let it airdry hanging down, ponytail, or 1-2 braids. After it's somewhat dry, I do braidouts w/ lots of oil 'n my hair. I style w/ my fingers after taking the braids out. Thanks 2 everyone that have suggested 2 me not 2 use a comb 4 styling...only comb to detangle. /images/graemlins/up.gif I occasionally use a brush 4 my edges if I wear my hair half up/ half down. It has cut down majorly on the breakage. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection

Yeah, I wasnt exaggerating when I said it was long... /images/graemlins/blush.gif but I know folx like ingredients and product info so I like to list it. I think you will really like the cactus oil. The Jamaican product line is forumlated for twists and locks so there isnt a lot of build up and I'm so happy with the Hask keeping the humidity at bay I just dont know what to do with myself. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanx everyone for the comments. /images/graemlins/wave.gif