Ok ladies, let's talk Sebastian Potion 9... Who's tried it?

foxieroxienyc

Hi girls, so I've seen this product on the shelf and it keeps calling my name.... So I finally picked it up today and read the ingredients and packaging and it seems like some really great stuff. It's touted as a "wearable" treatment. It seems protein packed with some added amazing cool LHCF approved oils :grin: . I've read different reviews for the product and it seems to tame frizz and make flat ironed hair "asian straight" lol. In any case all things seem to be good. My hair is relaxed and I like to wash it 2x/week (one wash/dc, and second co wash) then I prefer to air dry/flat iron. My hair is in pretty great shape, my reggie is working well. I just think I can use something a little more protective particularly since I like to wear my hair down when I feel like it. I see minimal breakage if any, and only splits here and there. Nothing of too much concern but if I can find a protective product to nip it in the bud, FABULOUS. This seems to be the possible HG of leave-ins for me... Any ways here's what the product description and ingredients are:

"A Magical Idea"
An exotic trip to the Amazon rainforest inspired a hair product idea: a magical cream-gel infused with renewable and sustainable botanical extracts, but 2, 3 or even 4 were not enough. This potion needed 9 essential extracts to help restore lost moisture, revitalized damage and rejuvenate the condition of hair. The magic "9" are: jojoba seed oil, safflower seed oil, sesame seed oil, babassu oil, olive oil, evening primrose oil, rice bran oil, willow bark extract and green tea lead extract. And the magic doesn't stop there. This treatment is also wearable, making it perfect for styling hair. When potion 9, Sebastian created an original category for hair industry: wearable treatment. Even now it have never been duplicated... magic never is!
sebastianprofessional.com

Directions
Apply to damp hair and style as desired. Do not rinse. Blow dry for conditioned body, or let air dry for a natural look and feel.

Ingredients

Water (aqua), Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Safflower Oil (Carthamus Tinctorius), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Panthenol, Babassu Oil (Orbignya Oleifera), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Evening Primrose Oil (Oenothera Biennis), Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Amodimethicone, Stearalkonium Chloride, Tocopherol, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth 10, Polysorbate 60, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citric Acid, Alcohol Denat., Butylphenol Methylpropional, D&C Orange 4 (CI 15510), Coumarin, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Amyl Cinnamal, Geraniol, Alpha IsoMethyl Ionone, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Benzoate, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Ext D&C Violet 2 (CI 60730), BHT, FD&C Red 40 (CI 16035), Asorbyl Palmitate

Product reviews:
Epinions.com
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Sebastian_Potion_9_Wearable_Treatment

Make-up Alley
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=579/Potion_9/Sebastian/Styling_Products/

I noticed there's Alcohol Denat in it, but the ones that I saw in Rite Aid earlier today DONT have it listed.... I remember when I first picked it up and looked at it at the BSS I put it back for that reason... I wonder if it's a new formula. Also the one I saw in Rite Aid had the proteins as the second and third ingredients followed by glycerin and the oils.

Soooooo, who's tried it?

foxieroxienyc

UPDATED INGREDIENTS LIST!

This more reflects what I saw on the box at Rite Aid today... No alcohol.

Water (aqua), Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Stearalkonium Chloride, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, PVP, Trimethylsilyamodimethicone, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Hydrolized Silk, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth 10, Octylmethoxycinnamate, Panthenol, Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Safflower Oil (Carthamus Tinctorius), Macadamia Ternifolia Nut Oil, Babassu Oil (Orbignya Oleifera), Borage Seed Oil (Borago Officinalis), Evening Primrose Oil (Oenothera Biennis), Dog Rose Hips Oil ((Rosa Canina)), Propylene Glycol, Caprilic/Capric Triglyceride, All Spice Extract (Pimenta Dioica), Lemongrass Extract ((cymbopogon schoenanthus)), Hydroxyethylcellulose, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Fragrance (parfum), Annatto (CI 75120), Ext D&C Violet 2 (CI 60730), D&C Orange 4 (CI 15510), FD&C Red 40 (CI 16035), Vegetable Oil.

yodie

Funny... I just gave some of this away a couple of hours ago. My hair didn't feel all that great with it, but I have heard great things about it.

Iamhim

You know, I never bought it because I couldn't figure out what it did. It's kinda pricey and I didn't want to take the chance. I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

SparklingFlame

Dont use too much of it. Its a mild protein product and too much will leave your hair crunchy. Notice Hydrolyzed Soy Protein is the 3rd ingredient. Otherwise its great.

foxieroxienyc

Thanks so much ladies for the replies!

I actually did just go out and buy it just to see what it's about and see if it works for me... I tried a tiny bit on just my ends to test it out... Hmmm applied some HE leave in right after, I can tell this baby is definitely a protein reconstructor, lol.

In any case I plan to use it following my wash, and I think I'm going to leave my tell tale Herbal Essences Break's Over leave-in as well cause I can tell I'm going to need some moisture to back it up. My entire reggie really focuses on moisture/light protein moreso anyways so this will probably be a good addition maybe 1x a week (co wash day.... :rolleyes:). Anyways I plan on using it tommorow when I wash, so we'll seeeeee! I'll post my results.