Ok then, what about a hot air brush?

Victorian

old head
eh? anybody have a hot air brush? I've been looking at some online as an alternative to the traditional hair dryer. The ones I have seen all have low wattage (like 1000 watts). Do these things really dry your hair well? Or are they just for styling practically dry hair?
Somebody help me!

Tai

The hot air brush scares me. The potential for damage to your hair seems high w/ all that rotating that it does. You are talking about the Revo Hot Air Brush, right?

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
The hot air brush scares me. The potential for damage to your hair seems high w/ all that rotating that it does. You are talking about the Revo Hot Air Brush, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You took the words right outta my mouth - the combination of BRUSHING + HEAT + MANUPULATION seems really really bad. Blowdrying almost seems better because the "hot air brush" seems to embody the very worst of "things not to do":

1. minimum to no brushing because extra stress on the hair cuticles
2. minimum to no manipulation to help retain length
3. minimum to no heat, enuf said

Victorian

old head
Heavens no, not the rotating kind. I saw an informercial for one of those the other day and it looked plain deadly

I mean a plain ol' hot air brush, like this . It's really just a hair dryer that's shaped differently and has a brush attachment. I think because of their size they tend to be lower power. I've never used a dryer that only had like 1000 watts so I was wondering if there would be a huge difference in heat/drying time because of it.

LEOLADYSW

I know which ones you mean. I don't want to use the hot air brush because brushes all rip my hair out. I think they are more for white folks.

Falon

I wouldn't do it. Brush+Heat can =Bad Damage and if it doesn't damage your hair badly it will severely limit your progress.

I know some people on LHCF have grown healthy hair using a blowdryer occassionally but I can't recall to many who have grown healthy hair using a brush with those kind of bristles in combination with a blowdryer.

Leslie_C

take their word for it! One day a while back I had washed my hair and suddenly had to be somewhere at the last minute, and I had to look presentable. I hadnt used a blow dryer in so long I cant remember if I broke the comb attachment or just lost it, but all I could find was the brush attachment. Needless to say, by the time I was done I had a big ball of hair, plus more on the floor and in the sink. Ill never do that again! I gave it away to my sister after that...lol.

those prickly brushes will rip your hair out...

Victorian

old head
I like the brush attachment on my dryer...

Here's a picture of the newer version of the dryer I have now (Mine is all black and isn't as "curvy-looking")

Oh, and that example of a hot air brush isn't really one I was considering buying, I was just showing what I meant by a "hot air brush".

spanishteardrops

Always follow your heart
I have a cheap one
It's a windmere and quite old...maybe 5 years or more. I can't seem to find a pic on it. I like it since I don't have time to site under a dryer and wait for a rollerset to dry.

Falon

I know when I blow dried my hair a lot my ends were constantly dry and I never made any progress...using a brush on top of that made my hair thin. My hair is a lot thicker even around my edges because I stopped blowdrying period.

If your hair can tolerate it and you don't have a problem with dry or breaking ends than I guess it's O.K for you...but if you start to see little broken hairs and your ends need to be trimmed all the time it's the heat and tension of the brush that is doing it. HTH

Queenie

I have a Vidal Sassoon one. The bristles are only on one side of it. I use it on my daughters 3A hair and it works well. My hair is too kinky to get a brush into it. I will use it when my hair grows out more and I am doing a Dominican blow out. If you can brush your hair with an open bristle brush without any trouble, then you can use it. You have to use the same technique used when the brush & blowdryer are seperate for it to work. Also you cannot use a very big section of hair in it.

YOTEGRA

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
take their word for it! One day a while back I had washed my hair and suddenly had to be somewhere at the last minute, and I had to look presentable. I hadnt used a blow dryer in so long I cant remember if I broke the comb attachment or just lost it, but all I could find was the brush attachment. Needless to say, by the time I was done I had a big ball of hair, plus more on the floor and in the sink. Ill never do that again! I gave it away to my sister after that...lol.

those prickly brushes will rip your hair out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing happened to me. I had too much breakage. If you have natural hair ( that is fine in texture), it might work better.

Victorian

old head
Hey thanks, ladies. I think I'm going to pass on the hot air brush. I already have a round brush but I just wasn't very successful at using it in the past. I'm just going to have to learn how to use it. I'm sure I'll get it after some practice. Don't worry, I know allll about heat damage--that was my problem when I first joined hair boards
I'm just going to be blowdrying my roots to straighten them out.