"Okay, so I BC'd....NOW what??"

Crystalicequeen123

Okay....so I didn't really do the BC.....not yet anyway! :giggle:

But one of the MAIN questions that has been plaguing my mind ever since I started transitioning is: "What do I do after I do the BC?" :scratchch After I cut my hair...THEN what? :confused:

I'll be BC'ing later on this year, and my BIGGEST fear is that after BC'ing, I won't really know how to style my natural hair well enough to feel comfortable to go outside. :look: I even have thoughts of other natural ladies shaking their heads at my poor attempts to style my natural hair. :nono:

I have been doing my research, and watching Youtube videos and tutorials on natural hair like a crazy obsessed person, but I guess I just wonder: "Will I be able to pull off some of these styles?"

It's really not about not having the "confidence" to rock my natural tightly coiled hair in itself....(afterall...I really couldn't care what people think. I'm doing this for ME). For me it's really about not wanting to walk out of the house, go to work or meet friends/family etc. looking JACKED UP!! :wallbash:

Any other naturals or ladies transitioning ever felt the same way?? :( :look:

ms.blue

I wasn't comfortable about my bc because it was unplanned and I didn't really like it so I put braids in my hair the next day and I continued braiding/ weaving my hair until last year when my hair was long enough. I still don't know how to style my hair so right now i'm been wearing half-wigs.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
well im not natural anymore but my sister is full bsl natural 4A and dont know what to do wth her hair, she dont know how to style it or ANYTHING! but when i was in 7th grade and got all my hair choped off (not becuase of a relaxer), i wore cute head bands around my almost 1inch long hair, it was curly and cute. then when i was mbl natural i did twist outs, the easiest style ever.

darlingdiva

I have no advice about BC'ing because I've never done it, but I just want to say that you are wrong for the title of this thread :naughty:. I actually thought that you BC'ed. I was sitting here with my mouth hanging open.

brucebettye

Look on youtube. I have found many different styles on there. Just put in twa styles or natural hair styles and you will find tons of them. Also try curlynikki.com. There are many styles on there in her older posts. I am the opposite I have a harder time doing my hair when it is longer than shorter.

Whimsy

SHAME ON YOU for tricking us!!!

Girl, don't let fear of looking jacked up stop you from your BC. You've been studying so you know how do do the same styles you saw on yt. You'll be fine, just practice practice practice. And when all else fails, wash n go or bun or something simple like that.

andromeda

I implore you to visit the newly naturals thread - we'll welcome you with open arms, even if your not natural yet.:yep: Blackmasterpeice also started a thread of professional and formal styles that's a great resource. There's also a thread of natural short-mid length natural styles around here somewhere. I concur with the curly nikki suggestion - I think they're tagged under the category "stylin & profiling", or something along those lines.

When I first started transitioning, I did lots of curly/textured styles. I eventually started wearing half wigs and then full wigs. In late march, I did a flat twists with bantu knotted-ends (which had been my staple style back when I first started transitioning) and got an idea of how my hair would look at a shorter length and was motivated to BC. I told myself that if my styling skills weren't up to par, it wouldn't mater because I'd be wearing wigs anyways. So I BCd in April and my wig has been sitting on the same Styrofoam head ever since.:look: I've been enjoying my natural hair too much and even when it's not "styled", I can wash-n-go and wear it in a puff, which is something I couldn't do when I had 1a relaxed ends hanging onto my 4a/b roots. :lol:

I've been doing wash-n-go puffs (which I honestly didn't envision myself doing pre-BC), bantu-knotted twist outs, flat-twist out's, mini twists (which I then style into looks that are professional or funky) and, most recently, flat-twisted up-do's (although I definitely need to practice flat-twisting as a style). Obviously, fully natural hair is different from transitioning hair but there's no reason why you can't start experimenting with styles. You're already on the right track with your research.

Also, hair pins are your friend. Since going natural, they have salvaged many a style-gone-awry.

Last edited: