Okra for super fast hair growth???

Phaer

Please do and let us know. This is my year of experimentation....so why not? I will try it out, I don't think I have anything to lose. My family have a history of eye issues, and my mom has boiled okra and dripped the water in my eye to relieve the pain and it worked, so sure, I am on board.
My mom told me that as a young girl they used okra in their hair---I have to ask her again how they did this.

Transformer

My mom told me that as a young girl they used okra in their hair---I have to ask her again how they did this.

I'm a DEEP Southerner and I've never heard this before. I hope it works because I grow okra and also I have 15 bags of the frozen stuff in my freezer.

My Friend

I wonder how much okra = a tablespoon of msm? Also, if the okra is fried it has no health benefits. I don't think eating okra itself will accelerate hair growth:nono:

I think if you eat boiled okra with fried chicken, it cancels itself out. I think okra compliments the other things you do to accelerate hair growth.

EllePixie

I'd try this...I love okra and I love slime and mud in my hair, lol! But...I doubt I would it long enough to notice growth.

adamseve

I think I'm going to try this too. However, I'm going to use it like a deep treatment prior to a co-wash since it was actually washed out on the Regal Bal blog. Instead of applying my Ayurvedic growth paste weekly I'll alternate it with okra every other week. I'll try it for 3-6 months and see what kind of progress I get.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I love okra either fried or in jumbo but I would never put that on my hair. I've already learned to not put food on my hair from a mishap with avocado a long while back.

chicha

I've been reading this board says several things help with fast growth but okra is a little to much for me.

MissLeo

I think I'm going to try this too. However, I'm going to use it like a deep treatment prior to a co-wash since it was actually washed out on the Regal Bal blog. Instead of applying my Ayurvedic growth paste weekly I'll alternate it with okra every other week. I'll try it for 3-6 months and see what kind of progress I get.

Keep me posted, I'll post growth results in 3 weeks.

Amour

I think I will try this!

I'm really really curious though, why so many people are so grossed out by this? Is it the slimy texture? We (collectively, not everyone) have tried WAYYYY worst things that vegetables over the years

Think I will try it about 5 days a week and apply nightly, if it doesn't like residue in my hair/ weigh it down etc

Last edited:

MissLeo

I think I will try this!

I'm really really curious though, why so many people are so grossed out by this? Is it the slimy texture? We (collectively, not everyone) have tried WAYYYY worst things that vegetables over the years

Think I will try it about 5 days a week and apply nightly, if it doesn't like residue in my hair/ weigh it down etc

Please keep me updated. So far I haven't noticed any build up. My hair seems to like it. For the ladies who are grossed out about the okra, I just use the liquid (filter out any seeds) that comes from boiling the okra in water. Yes it is somewhat gel like or slimy but it doesn't seem to cause any problems, in fact I have read it is a great protein treatment for the hair. I however, am mostly focusing on my scalp.

Last edited:

~~HoneyComb~~

Please do and let us know. This is my year of experimentation....so why not? I will try it out, I don't think I have anything to lose. My family have a history of eye issues, and my mom has boiled okra and dripped the water in my eye to relieve the pain and it worked, so sure, I am on board.

Please do and ask if they think it helped with growth.

My mom told me that they didn't use it for hair growth, but for a styling aid--like a gel.

She said they would boil the okra in water, and when the water got thick, before the okra came apart, they would take the okra water, cool it down a bit, and put it in their hair.

She said it made the hair really shiny and wavy--the men would put it on their hair, wear a stocking cap for a while and it gave them nice wavy hair too.

I can see it acting like a gel, getting thick from the slime that the okra makes. I'm going to buy some okra one day and try it out.

MissLeo

My mom told me that they didn't use it for hair growth, but for a styling aid--like a gel.

She said they would boil the okra in water, and when the water got thick, before the okra came apart, they would take the okra water, cool it down a bit, and put it in their hair.

She said it made the hair really shiny and wavy--the men would put it on their hair, wear a stocking cap for a while and it gave them nice wavy hair too.

I can see it acting like a gel, getting thick from the slime that the okra makes. I'm going to buy some okra one day and try it out.

hmm, I may have to try it as a gel as well, although my hair is pretty thirsty and sucking it up super fast.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I've been wanting to try these Okra conditioning recipes for a while, now. It always gets the same comments, which is quite amusing.

I buy the okra, I cook it and eat it. I'm gonna have to double up so I can use some on my hair - lol
So do you refrigerate the unused portion so it keeps?

davisbr88

I gotta say... I'm not too opposed to trying this.
The only thing is, I would only be able to use it once a week in my DC and I don't know if that's enough... hmmmmm...
Next month's grocery list might include okra.
ETA: Not sold on the hair growth at all, but if it could be used in my DC as an added protein, and if it makes my hair bouncy and voluminous like some are claiming, that might be nice.

cadi

I bought some okra yesterday and i cooked it and ive eaten it all nothing left for my hair (was starving) am planing to try it when am back from my vacation inshallah

MissLeo

I've been wanting to try these Okra conditioning recipes for a while, now. It always gets the same comments, which is quite amusing.

I buy the okra, I cook it and eat it. I'm gonna have to double up so I can use some on my hair - lol
So do you refrigerate the unused portion so it keeps?

yes, i have been refrigerating the unused portion.