Olaplex 0123456789 What's Your Numba?

Melaninme

For anyone interested in trying, there repair treatment kit is on sale.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Recently started using No. 8 and I'm a big fan. It's very concentrated so while I need to use more than the recommended 2 pumps, the bottle should last me a while.

I also picked up the Olaplex trio of 3,4, and 5 that was the ULTA January birthday gift.

JJamiah

Recently started using No. 8 and I'm a big fan. It's very concentrated so while I need to use more than the recommended 2 pumps, the bottle should last me a while.

I also picked up the Olaplex trio of 3,4, and 5 that was the ULTA January birthday gift.
I really love #6, I enjoy using 3/4/5, I use 0 but I’m meh, 7/8/9 are ok

weavepat

Used no.4 for the second time this washday and I really like it. Still using no. 2 every week, but haven't reached for no. 0 since I switched to doing all treatments post shampoo. I'll use it up at some point, but won't repurchase.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@LushLox
I have been using both. Bond Builder + Protein = :love:

Whether it's Olaplex, Redken, Curlsmith. I'll do a Protein Treatment followed up with a Moisturizing DC'er.

K-18 is the only product I don't follow up with a DC'er of Protein or Moisture.

LushLox

@LushLox
I have been using both. Bond Builder + Protein = :love:

Whether it's Olaplex, Redken, Curlsmith. I'll do a Protein Treatment followed up with a Moisturizing DC'er.

K-18 is the only product I don't follow up with a DC'er of Protein or Moisture.

Thanks T

I ask because I was thinking about it and I haven't used a protein in ages but my hair still feels fine, and healthy. But I'm too scared to cut protein treatments out entirely so I will likely use one very soon.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@Chicoro
Please share your experience with Olaplex.

I read your post in the Luscious Ends Challenge.

I started using Olaplex around December 2021. I know this to be for sure because I documented it. I added oil infused henna, too.

Then, I got this giant hairball on April 2022. I believe I had at least two of these hairballs. It was SOLID, thick and heavy as were the other ones. My hair was breaking, breaking, breaking.

I did not connect this to Olaplex until around Jan 2023. I thought it might have been stress. I was not washing my hair every week, but that was something I had done before and never got this much breakage.

I attributed the breakage to not knowing what my hair needed at this longer length, which was tailbone length at the time. It's shorter now due to breakage and loss of length. From experience my hair has different needs at different lengths which were bra strap, waist length, lower back and tailbone.

I also had several major life changes at that time and attributed the breakage to the stress due to those changes.

I couldn't use shampoo anymore, either. My hair would become severally frizzy, hard and like velcro. Shampoo was traumatizing my precious locks. I think Olaplex damaged my hair to the point where my hair could not tolerate shampoo.

@snoop gave me a clay recipe which turned my hair around.

My severe velcro ends are gone and my hair is soft and beautiful. I have not had any severe issues since January 2023 which is when I ditched shampoo, except to clarify. I got rid of Olaplex sometime in late 2022, I think.

This is all speculation on my part and going on memory. But, I've been at this hair thing for awhile and I tend to be meticulous when it comes to my hair processes. Since I dumped Olaplex and shampoo, I no longer get these huge, heavy hairballs which are absolutely not normal for my hair. Olaplex was in the mix of my hair care products and processes when I had the second worst set-back of my hair care journey.

Everybody is different and we know different people's hair has different needs. Just because Olaplex didn't work for me long-term does not mean it won't or doesn't' work for others.

EDIT: April 18th, 2024

I used Olaplex No. 0 the most and and Olaplex No. 3 somewhat, too.
Olaplex adversely impacted my HAIR and broke it off. Olaplex did not impact my SCALP in a way that I noticed.
I think Olaplex No. 0 was the newer formulation, the new take home product to start the process, but not exactly the same formulation you could get at a hair salon. So, if I HAD to narrow things down even further, I think Olaplex No. 0 was probably the culprit in my particular situation.

GiantHairBallApril10th2022-from fotki.png

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Did a post because edits in old posts can be missed:

I used Olaplex No. 0 the most and and Olaplex No. 3 somewhat, too.

Olaplex adversely impacted my HAIR and broke it off. Olaplex did not impact my SCALP in a way that I noticed.
I think Olaplex No. 0 was the newer formulation, the new take home product to start the process, but not exactly the same formulation you could get at a hair salon. I believe the marketing states that it is less potent than the salon version. My assumption is that if it were 'less potent', the possiblity exists that the formulation was different in some way.

So, if I HAD to narrow things down even further, I think Olaplex No. 0 was probably the culprit in my particular situation.

Not to derail the thread, about two or three years prior to using Olaplex, I tried Creme of Nature Plex Breakage Defense. After one use, I had all these tiny, broken hairs in my white sink. They looked like cuticle layers. They were all the same length. The main ingredient in this product is polyacrylamidopropyltrimonium chloride. It is an extremely substantive (sticks to hair) catonic quartenary ammonium salt. I didn't use the product right. I put in my hair and left in for about 2 days before washing. You are supposed to leave it on for 10 minutes. The Plex Breakage Defense is a three (3) part system. I only used Step 1, the bonder - pre-treatment.

1713450864484.png

Plex Breakage Defense is aptly and appropriately named because it defends breakage and clears the way for breakage to flourish. :giggle:

The commonality between these two products, from my kitchen technician speculative sense and observation, is that the active ingredients in either product are extremely substantive to my hair to the point where [enough] moisture to sustain hair suppleness, is not able to enter into [my particular type of] hair strand after treatment and as a result the hair dehydrates or becomes less flexible and breaks. Lastly, both of these products were Step 1 in a multi-step hair care product process and both are for bonding.

@IDareT'sHair you know I be writing books when I post. I'm like a vampire. Once you invite me in...

It's over!

Seriously though, please take my information with a grain of salt. There are variables that could have been at play of which I may have not been aware. The purpose of this information is to help you make the best product choices for your hair.

Here's to thriving, gorgeous, afro-textured hair. Happy hair growing!