OLAPLEX: Hair Game Changer?

imaginary

I must be doing something wrong because with these little bottles I can barely get two application out of 2 & 3. Any suggestions?

It helps to apply to wet hair, and to also spread the products in your hands and then pat it across several spots before combing it through the hair.

Daina

I have been wetting my hair before applying but I will try the spread and pat method. Thanks.

@Tootuff, how long is your hair? I'm MBL and I apply to wet hair which causes me to use less. I start mid-shaft and put extra on the ends. I usually have my hair in 4 sections. I use one good squeeze per section and then twist. I then use one final good squeeze amount and apply to the top and roots. For 3 months I used steps 1 and 2 and still have my original stylist travel kit. Out of step 3 I get about 4 to 5 uses. Hope that helps!

Tootuff

@Tootuff, how long is your hair? I'm MBL and I apply to wet hair which causes me to use less. I start mid-shaft and put extra on the ends. I usually have my hair in 4 sections. I use one good squeeze per section and then twist. I then use one final good squeeze amount and apply to the top and roots. For 3 months I used steps 1 and 2 and still have my original stylist travel kit. Out of step 3 I get about 4 to 5 uses. Hope that helps!

I think it's about the same length as in my siggy but I am natural. I will try this too because I can't afford to keep using this at the rate I'm going. Thanks!!

Atthatday

Every knee shall bow...
I must be doing something wrong because with these little bottles I can barely get two application out of 2 & 3. Any suggestions?

May I ask if you're using both 2 & 3 on the same day? From my understanding, 2 is a stronger version of 3, and 3 is for home maintenance use. I don't see a need to use both 2 & 3 the same day, unless you're trying to use up one or the other

I'm not a stylist, so maybe others can provide more info.

Here's a special they're having until 10-31-16:

IMG_1631.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1631.PNG
    IMG_1631.PNG
    422.9 KB · Views: 43

Tootuff

May I ask if you're using both 2 & 3 on the same day? From my understanding, 2 is a stronger version of 3, and 3 is for home maintenance use. I don't see a need to use both 2 & 3 the same day, unless you're trying to use up one or the other

I'm not a stylist, so maybe others can provide more info.

Here's a special they're having until 10-31-16:

View attachment 375769

I use 1 & 2 after coloring and I want to use 3 for weekly maintenance if I can figure out how to stretch it. Maybe I should just buy the 67oz bottle of 2 and not repurchase 3 again.

Atthatday

Every knee shall bow...
I think it's about the same length as in my siggy but I am natural. I will try this too because I can't afford to keep using this at the rate I'm going. Thanks!!
I use 1 & 2 after coloring and I want to use 3 for weekly maintenance if I can figure out how to stretch it. Maybe I should just buy the 67oz bottle of 2 and not repurchase 3 again.

I repurchased #2 and decided not to repurchase #3 again. Sometimes, I dilute #2. The special is a good deal.

PR0MISE44

Anyone have any experience with just using #2? I had the stylist kit with just 1 and 2 but have run out. Not interested in getting 3 since my hair is super damaged but I've never tried 2 on its own (just layered over 1).

Atthatday

Every knee shall bow...
@promise44: Per the Olaplex website:

I Ran Out of No. 1 Before No. 2, What Can I Do?

If you find that you are going through No. 1 faster than No.2, please see tips below:
  • Make sure that you are generously applying No.2 during the treatment and after all services. Hair should be thoroughly saturated. Comb through to ensure even distribution.
  • Offer your client a mini treatment using No.2 at the shampoo bowl, combing through and leaving on a minimum of 10-20 minutes. (without diluted No.1).
  • When processing a clients base only, you can use No.2 from midshaft to ends as this will allow a longer processing time. The longer the treatment is on, the more effective it is. This can be used to prep the client for a double process.
  • Use No.2 as a cutting lotion. This is a great way to introduce your non-color or non-chemical process clients to Olaplex.
  • When using direct dyes, Olaplex No.2 may be used to dilute down in place of clear or conditioner. This also allows the treatment to be on for a longer period of time.

gvin89

How are you all taking advantage of this deal? Do you have cosmetology licenses?
I think I will order - the kit yields 140 applications. Now I am a licensed cosmetologist and it asked for a license number when registering. The No 2 (jug size) is $140 alone, but is free when you order the full size kit.

Last edited:

Rain20

Amerii mainly talks about books on her channel. She recently edited an anthology and is writing a trilogy. She is still making music as well. I really like her channel. She does make up tutorials and talks about hair. I wrote all that to say she seems happy and content, not desperate for her previous career.

C(squared)

I think I will order - the kit yields 140 applications. Now I am a licensed cosmetologist and it asked for a license number when registering. The No 2 (jug size) is $140 alone, but is free when you order the full size kit.

Maybe I should find a friend who is a cosmetologist and ask for their license number. I would like to try the No. 1 and No.2 and use it maybe once a quarter, while using the No. 3 every time I straighten. Do you think that would be over kill?

gvin89

Maybe I should find a friend who is a cosmetologist and ask for their license number. I would like to try the No. 1 and No.2 and use it maybe once a quarter, while using the No. 3 every time I straighten. Do you think that would be over kill?

I think it's worthwhile....your plan sounds doable. I don't think that's overkill. When I got my first treatment, the stylist said once ever 8-12 weeks unless I had color. I was just trying to reverse heat damage....

C(squared)

I think it's worthwhile....your plan sounds doable. I don't think that's overkill. When I got my first treatment, the stylist said once ever 8-12 weeks unless I had color. I was just trying to reverse heat damage....

Yes - thats exactly what I want to do. Deal with some heat damage that I dont feel like cutting now. I really love my length and I will cut my heat damage out slowly.

How much does the whole system cost?

gvin89

@C(squared) , @*~*Afrolicious*~* provided the correct link for the salon kit through amazon. it's $198 through Olaplex and comes with the half gallon No. 2 as well. I'm not pressed about No. 3 because it's a less concentrated formula if No. 2 designed to be used at home weekly. my stylist didn't push for me to purchase No. 3. I do not straighten or get chemical services.

The traveling stylist kit includes a small bottle of all 3 products for a total of 30 applications....it's $65.

*~*Afrolicious*~*

So I'm getting my hair lifted lighter on Friday. I think some bleach will be used, by my colorist plans on using Olaplex either during the coloring or after (I forgot which order). For the technique that she uses to bayalage/ombre my hair needs to be flat ironed. My question is should I use the Olapex on my hair before I flat iron my hair (I want to make sure my hair is as healthy as possible before its first colored flat iron) or would that prevent my hair from lifting as much Friday?

gvin89

So I'm getting my hair lifted lighter on Friday. I think some bleach will be used, by my colorist plans on using Olaplex either during the coloring or after (I forgot which order). For the technique that she uses to bayalage/ombre my hair needs to be flat ironed. My question is should I use the Olapex on my hair before I flat iron my hair (I want to make sure my hair is as healthy as possible before its first colored flat iron) or would that prevent my hair from lifting as much Friday?

Olaplex should not affect your color service. It should prevent any heat damage or overprocessing.

gvin89

Won't it seal my hair bonds and make it harder to lift the color? I'm washing tonight and I'm getting my color done Friday morning.

From Olaplex site:
Balayage

Olaplex no longer requires to bump developer or increase processing time.

Pay special attention to the scoop size of bleach powder you are using. Scoop sizes vary per manufacturer. The amount of Olaplex used depends on the amount of bleach powder being used, not the amount of both developer and bleach powder combined.*

1. Mix bleach and developer together.

For 1-2oz (30-60g) of lightener powder (not including developer), add 1/16oz (1.875ml) Olaplex No.1.

For less than 1oz (30g) of lightener powder (not including developer, add 1/32oz (1ml) Olaplex No.1.

2. Use the attached dosing dispenser to measure the correct amount of Olaplex needed.

3. Add Olaplex to your pre-mixed lightener and mix thoroughly.

Note: You may add more bleach powder or developer if necessary to achieve desired consistency. We recommend remixing a new bowl of lightener and Olaplex if more than 2oz (60g) of bleach powder is needed.

Please use the same precautions as you always have when working with lighteners.

Processing Time of Lightener: THIS VARIES. We cannot tell you an average or approximate as every head of hair is different. Any issues with processing time or lift can be solved by using less Olaplex. As some lighteners provide 9+ levels of lift and others only 4, everything may be adjusted based on personal preference.

Heat: Heat is okay with Olaplex, but heat speeds up the chemical reaction of everything so be watchful and check every 3 to 5 minutes as you normally would. If hair is severely compromised, refrain from using heat until the repairative system has been used to restore the health, strength and integrity of the hair.

*It is common knowledge that bleach has a heat reaction to chlorine and other mineral deposits found in water and on hair. If you are having a heat reaction, this is not caused by Olaplex. This is caused by bleach interacting with minerals. Please rinse hair immediately if this occurs as Olaplex cannot prevent damage due to this reaction.

**Should you be bumping the developer for tonal or time reasons, please continue to do so.

*~*Afrolicious*~*

From Olaplex site:
Balayage

Olaplex no longer requires to bump developer or increase processing time.

Pay special attention to the scoop size of bleach powder you are using. Scoop sizes vary per manufacturer. The amount of Olaplex used depends on the amount of bleach powder being used, not the amount of both developer and bleach powder combined.*

1. Mix bleach and developer together.

For 1-2oz (30-60g) of lightener powder (not including developer), add 1/16oz (1.875ml) Olaplex No.1.

For less than 1oz (30g) of lightener powder (not including developer, add 1/32oz (1ml) Olaplex No.1.

2. Use the attached dosing dispenser to measure the correct amount of Olaplex needed.

3. Add Olaplex to your pre-mixed lightener and mix thoroughly.

Note: You may add more bleach powder or developer if necessary to achieve desired consistency. We recommend remixing a new bowl of lightener and Olaplex if more than 2oz (60g) of bleach powder is needed.

Please use the same precautions as you always have when working with lighteners.

Processing Time of Lightener: THIS VARIES. We cannot tell you an average or approximate as every head of hair is different. Any issues with processing time or lift can be solved by using less Olaplex. As some lighteners provide 9+ levels of lift and others only 4, everything may be adjusted based on personal preference.

Heat: Heat is okay with Olaplex, but heat speeds up the chemical reaction of everything so be watchful and check every 3 to 5 minutes as you normally would. If hair is severely compromised, refrain from using heat until the repairative system has been used to restore the health, strength and integrity of the hair.

*It is common knowledge that bleach has a heat reaction to chlorine and other mineral deposits found in water and on hair. If you are having a heat reaction, this is not caused by Olaplex. This is caused by bleach interacting with minerals. Please rinse hair immediately if this occurs as Olaplex cannot prevent damage due to this reaction.

**Should you be bumping the developer for tonal or time reasons, please continue to do so.

Thanks for the info, 'y salon called me to confirm my appointment and confirmed that it's okay as well! Im excited to use it tonight!!!!:toocool::toocool:

PR0MISE44

@C(squared) , @*~*Afrolicious*~* provided the correct link for the salon kit through amazon. it's $198 through Olaplex and comes with the half gallon No. 2 as well. I'm not pressed about No. 3 because it's a less concentrated formula if No. 2 designed to be used at home weekly. my stylist didn't push for me to purchase No. 3. I do not straighten or get chemical services.

The traveling stylist kit includes a small bottle of all 3 products for a total of 30 applications....it's $65.

Are you still content with your purchase? Just ran out of the traveling kit with (1, 2 x 2) and I was debating upgrading to the larger bottles. I felt like it made a difference but not sure if it's a '$200' difference...