OLAPLEX: Hair Game Changer?

faithVA

I've been pleased with Olaplex. I bought the travel kit with steps 1 and 2. I planned to use it weekly for a solid 2 months, but experienced unusual dryness by the 6th consecutive week. So I'm using it every 2 or 3 weeks now. Reduced shedding, and I don't know the science behind why. Reduced breakage. I follow the instructions on the website/box without adding my own extra spin to it. I don't want to use protein at the same time, although the kit says to either DC or protein treat according to what the hair needs.

I will keep with this for the foreseeable future.
I know the ingredients are similar but #1 &#2 were not meant to be used weekly. They were meant to be used as a treatment for initial repair and then switch over to #3 for weekly. Unless the hair is severely damaged I wouldn't think 1 & 2 would be used very often at all.

I would hold off using them until you do a color or flat iron.

faithVA

What are you guys mixing the step 1 and 2 with if you don't color or relax? Plain water? I feel like just using step 3 would be sufficient for natural hair that is not colored. Anyone have success with that? I'm trying to repair heat damage....
Step 1 is mixed with water. Step 2 is applied straight. If a person isn't using demi or permanent. Olor or heat styling, I agree that #3 should be enough and probably only needs to be used occasionally.

faithVA

Ok I have questions for those who had used the product.

1). It seems that 1 & 2 were designed to used in addition to chemical services such as coloring, bleaching, perms and relaxers. Can it be used, as is, for natural hair without being added to another product?. If so, who has done out and how did it work out?

2). Step 3 seems to be the follow up home product after use of 1 and 2. Does using 3 by itself work, particularly on natural hair?

3). Any recommendations of natural YTers that apply all attempts at home without other chemical services?
#1&2 are for those using some type of chemical treatment and probably helps those with heat damage. It is probably overkill for anyone else.

To use it without a chemical service #1 is diluted in water. After sitting #2 is applied to the hair undiluted, right over #1.

I think #3 alone is probably sufficient for most Naturals and only requires occasional use.

Atthatday

Every knee shall bow...
What are you guys mixing the step 1 and 2 with if you don't color or relax? Plain water? I feel like just using step 3 would be sufficient for natural hair that is not colored. Anyone have success with that? I'm trying to repair heat damage....

I mix mine with distilled water.

Atthatday

Every knee shall bow...
Ladies, now you all have me very curious on the ingredients.

Here are the ingredients, from the Olaplex I purchased, from Cosmoprof, on November 16, 2015:

image.jpeg

IMG_0963.JPG

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69

JerriBlank

The active ingredients in Olaplex are patent pending, so Sally's will be claiming that they have a knockoff product, but they are not able to use that ingredient so no go. Also, I would not being doing protein treatments after using this. I will personally keep using it,I'm buying the bigger size kit. I cant be without this. I'm curious as to how people are having extreme hair loss.

If you don't trust the retailer that you're getting by this from, try getting it from a salon.

ChristmasCarol

This thread brought out the PJ in me, so I ordered #3 via Amazon for $22, and it arrived yesterday.

Shampooed twice and then distributed about 1/4 of the treatment throughout my hair.
I accidentally fell asleep with it on and didn't rinse until this morning. So, it was on for at least 15 hours.
I rinsed it out thoroughly this morning, but didn't shampoo again.
Scrunched in SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie mixed with grapeseed oil and ECO gel.
Thought it was a fail, at first. But, as it dried - I noticed how much tighter and more uniform my curls looked.

I don't notice anything else, but my hair isn't colored or heat damaged, so there was nothing to be "repaired".

Little background: The front of my hair has a wonky curl pattern that makes my wash n goes look stupid, so I was hoping this product might help with uniformity.

It did just that, so I give it two thumbs-up!

Last edited:

deborah11

FaithVA,
Did you rinse #1 out before applying # 2? You said that you left #2 in for 2 hours. I thought #2 was mixed overtop #1. Curious to see how folks are actually using the product and the results they are getting. I used steps 1(5 minutes) and 2 ( on top of step 1 for 20 minuets)a few days ago and initially noticed that my hair was softer and more shiny but now it seems more dry. I rinsed, shampooed, applied protein conditioner and rinsed, followed by moisturizing conditioner for 30 minutes. I will monitor and proceed with caution before trying step 3. My products were purchased by a licensed cosmetologist. I am natural, no color and used product as a stand alone treatment.

OK ladies, it's been 4 weeks since I used steps 1 and 2 0laplex followed by a Komaza protein treatment which left me with some reservations and disappointment. I finally used step 3 only as a stand along treatment and DID NOT follow it up with a protein treatment. I really like it.

This is what I did:
1. I rinsed my hair with water and towel dried;
2. put step 3 opalex on hair for 10 minutes;
3. rinsed well and shampooed;
4. followed by natty capita a and rhassoul deep conditioner for 20 minutes with steamed towel;
5. Applied natty moist Leave-in conditioner, natty butter and oil.
6. Put hair in protective style to air dry.

After using olaplex 3 on my damaged hair, it started to clump and curl together like it did before I heat damaged it. I have an area in the top crown area that is really damaged and would not curl at all, and that area saw some change with small areas of curl pattern returning. I am impressed. Comb out was a breeze. I only lost a thimble full of hair during the detangling comb out (very, very little hair fall), far less than my normal hair loss. I will continue to use the 3 every few weeks. Still not sure about 1 or 2, will decide about those later but will definitely continue to use step 3.

Last edited:

faithVA

OK ladies, it's been 4 weeks since I used step 1 and 2 of Olaplex followed by a Komaza protein treatment which left me with some reservations and disappointment. I finally used step 3 only as a stand along treatment and DID NOT follow it up with a protein treatment. I really like it.

This is what I did:
1. I rinsed my hair with water and towel dried;
2. put step 3 opalex on hair for 10 minutes;
3. rinsed well and shampooed;
4. followed by natty capita a and rhassoul deep conditioner for 20 minutes with steamed towel;
5. Applied natty moist Leave-in conditioner, natty butter and oil.
6. Put hair in protective style to air dry.

After using olaplex 3 on my damaged hair, it started to clump and curl together like it did before I heat damaged it. I have an area in the top crown area that is really damaged and would not curl at all, and that area saw some change with small areas of curl pattern returning. I am impressed. Comb out was a breeze. I only lost a thimble full of hair during the detangling comb out (very, very little hair fall), far less than my normal hair loss. I will continue to use the 3 every few weeks. Still not sure about 1 or 2, will decide about those later but will definitely continue to use step 3.

I plan on using #3 again today after I shovel some snow. I will be following it with the Terra Veda Organix (TVO) protein conditioner. But I will be using the TVO Carmeltini treatment after that so not expecting any adverse conditions. My hair has been doing well over the past few weeks. So no complaints.

deborah11

I used Carmelita after olaplex steps 1 and 2 and my hair was very dry. I wanted to know if Carmelita could be used as a moisturizing conditioner after a protein treatment so I contacted terra Veda and here is a copy of the email from Pat Moore. I know that Olaplex is not a protein treatment but it acts like it is on my hair. Maybe it was steps 1 and 2 that dried out my hair and not the Carmelita. Next wash, I will use Carmel-Tina by itself to see how my hair feels afterwards.

On Jan 13, 2016, at 10:09 AM, Pat Moore wrote:

Carmel-tini Treatment must be shampooed/cowashed out and followed up with a leave in conditioner. Carmel-tini is a natural reconstructor treatment with out hydrolyzed proteins so, it is more moisturizing.

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016, Deborah Ramsey wrote:
One finally question, is Carmel-Tina only a moisturizing treatment or a combination protein-moisturizing treatment? If it used following a protein treatment do you still shampoo it out followed by a leave-in or do you just rinse it out only and then follow up with leave-in conditioner.

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
@deborah11 You are right to consider that it was the olaplex. Some of the comments on the other link from page 1 or 2 had lots of comments about dryness after using steps 1 & 2.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
This is what I did and it was smooth sailing!!!
It's actually in the directions on the bottle. I think my hair loves this. Short, broken hair in the sink or on the bathroom floor, or the lack thereof, are telling the story. I'm in a couple of length challenges so time will ultimately tell. What I know is that my hair is in great shape.

deborah11

It's actually in the directions on the bottle. I think my hair loves this. Short, broken hair in the sink or on the bathroom floor, or the lack thereof, are telling the story. I'm in a couple of length challenges so time will ultimately tell. What I know is that my hair is in great shape.
Do you only use step 3? Have you used steps 1 and 2?

faithVA

I used Carmelita after olaplex steps 1 and 2 and my hair was very dry. I wanted to know if Carmelita could be used as a moisturizing conditioner after a protein treatment so I contacted terra Veda and here is a copy of the email from Pat Moore. I know that Olaplex is not a protein treatment but it acts like it is on my hair. Maybe it was steps 1 and 2 that dried out my hair and not the Carmelita. Next wash, I will use Carmel-Tina by itself to see how my hair feels afterwards.

On Jan 13, 2016, at 10:09 AM, Pat Moore wrote:

Carmel-tini Treatment must be shampooed/cowashed out and followed up with a leave in conditioner. Carmel-tini is a natural reconstructor treatment with out hydrolyzed proteins so, it is more moisturizing.

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016, Deborah Ramsey wrote:
One finally question, is Carmel-Tina only a moisturizing treatment or a combination protein-moisturizing treatment? If it used following a protein treatment do you still shampoo it out followed by a leave-in or do you just rinse it out only and then follow up with leave-in conditioner.
If you are using the Carmeltini, you should still be following her regimen which is following it with the mudwash and/or cowash and then applying the leave-in. You don't change the step.

faithVA

I used Olaplex #3 and left in about 15 minutes and then used Terra Veda Quinoa Protein Conditioner for about 45 minutes. Now I am sitting with the TVO Carmeltini in which I will let sit for 2 hours. I probably should use heat but feeling a bit lazy. I'm thinking I'm going to do the mudwash, cowash and apply the leave-in tonight. But I want to do color tomorrow so I will probably stop there so the color will take.

deborah11

If you are using the Carmeltini, you should still be following her regimen which is following it with the mudwash and/or cowash and then applying the leave-in. You don't change the step.
After the Carmelita, I did cowash followed by a leave in. I think I probably should not have purchased the carmeltuna bc I don't plan on doing the mud wash too often. Moro ably will not purchase again bc I am now only using MHM periodically, but not on a regular basis.

Britt

BUMP!
I got my hair colored again last Saturday and my stylist used this. I told her I have issues with reversion and my hair staying straight. She heavily suggested this product to use at home. She did her thing with my hair at the salon. I washed my hair on Saturday and I noticed my hair just felt different. It felt smoother, then I figured it might have been since I just got it freshly colored? Idk. As it sat under the hair dryer and was combing my hair out it just felt different. The heat damaged areas coiled up more too which caught me off guard. I think it's the Olaplex. I told her to order me 2 bottles. Idk how long it will take her to get it so I just ordered once bottled off Ebay that I should have before the week is up. I can't wait to use it. I ordered the #3 for home use. My roots feel smoother, my hair just feels different and in a good way.

My plan is to shampoo as usual to remove all build up, etc... but how long should I leave the product on for? It says 10 min at least, but is this something I leave on for like 30 minutes? Do I use heat? My steamer? I'm wondering if it's like a deep conditioner? After I rinse it out I proceed to apply my conditioner and then rinse?

carolb21

faithVA, does the Carmeltini treatment really help with the dryness and how often do you use it. I tried the Olaplex 3 and my hair is stronger but extremely dry. My hair is very low porosity and it takes me at least 3 moisturizing treatments to get it back. My hair appears much stronger and I have less shedding, I use color as well and trying to wear my hair natural, but may weave it back up to protect it until I get more length......

faithVA

faithVA, does the Carmeltini treatment really help with the dryness and how often do you use it. I tried the Olaplex 3 and my hair is stronger but extremely dry. My hair is very low porosity and it takes me at least 3 moisturizing treatments to get it back. My hair appears much stronger and I have less shedding, I use color as well and trying to wear my hair natural, but may weave it back up to protect it until I get more length......
I really didn't experience any dryness. I am also low porosity even with color treated hair.

I was using the carmeltini evey 2 weeks but I just switched over to semi-permananet color so I'm using it every 4 weeks.

Have you started fresh with. Clarifying your hair and doing a DC with heat? What have you tried?

I don't know how well the carmeltini works compared to a regular DC but its working nicely for my hair. If I didn't use it I would have used Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends DC.

You said it takes 3 moisturizing treatments to get moisture back after a regular shampoo?