OLAPLEX: Hair Game Changer?

Rozlewis

I used Olaplex 3 - 7 today. I used the 3 as a pre-poo treatment. I used number 4 as my shampoo and the 5 as a rinse out conditioner. The shampoo was gentle on my hair. It was very sudsy but not stripping at all. I followed up with the rinse out conditioner which made my hair smooth and soft. I followed that up with the leave-in conditioner. At the end my hair felt strong and moisturized.

GettingKinky

I used olaplex for the first time today. I shampoo’d first so that there wouldn’t be any buildup between the olaplex and my hair. I was in a hurry so I only left it on my hair for 10 minutes. Next time I’ll do the olaplex the night before and leave it on overnight and wash it out in the morning.

metro_qt

I just reordered Olaplaex 3, this time from Sephora, as I think that my previous Olaplex 3 was 'faulty' ....I ordered it from Amazon.

I ended up leaving it in my hair overnight, and BOY... the difference it has made in my hair, texture, breakage from colour, etc.
I am VERY, very pleased.

metro_qt

I just reordered Olaplaex 3, this time from Sephora, as I think that my previous Olaplex 3 was 'faulty' ....I ordered it from Amazon.

I ended up leaving it in my hair overnight, and BOY... the difference it has made in my hair, texture, breakage from colour, etc.
I am VERY, very pleased.

ETA:
My hair, once washing is curly from root to tip now... which hasn't happened in a long, long while.
I am easily wearing my hair with just conditioner in it right now... loving the softness and the curls.

Theresamonet

@metro_qt How much of the bottle do you use when you apply the treatment?

I bought the 8.5 oz bottle of no. 3 from Sephora, and I used about 75% of the bottle on one treatment. I was planning to use it once per week, but that might not work at this price point.

I didn’t intend to wear it overnight, but now I feel I need to leave it on as long as possible. Lol

metro_qt

@metro_qt How much of the bottle do you use when you apply the treatment?

I bought the 8.5 oz bottle of no. 3 from Sephora, and I used about 75% of the bottle on one treatment. I was planning to use it once per week, but that might not work at this price point.

I didn’t intend to wear it overnight, but now I feel I need to leave it on as long as possible. Lol
It's really pricey for such a little amount, isn't it. You and I both have a lot of hair, and it's really easy to use half a bottle at a time.
Actually. I get away with using a quarter of a bottle each time I use it, but that's because I rinse my hair first, then I section my hair into 8 twists, then I take a good sized squirt, and unravel each section and brush/smooth it in. I do a little extra for my top and front hair- it's coloured... and maybe colour damaged...

I do keep my olaplaex overnight, because I want to get the most bang for my buck.
So far so good now.

GettingKinky

I find I can get the small bottle to last a lot longer if I emulsify it by rubbing it my hands before I apply it to my hair. My hair is BSL and pretty thick. I have a 3.3 oz bottle of no3 that I’ve used 3 times and it’s still half full. I also make sure my hair is damp when I apply it so that it spreads better.

FF853A94-DA31-49C5-9B73-6EF0C9BA02E6.jpeg
I don’t know why the picture is rotated.

Theresamonet

It's really pricey for such a little amount, isn't it. You and I both have a lot of hair, and it's really easy to use half a bottle at a time.
Actually. I get away with using a quarter of a bottle each time I use it, but that's because I rinse my hair first, then I section my hair into 8 twists, then I take a good sized squirt, and unravel each section and brush/smooth it in. I do a little extra for my top and front hair- it's coloured... and maybe colour damaged...

I do keep my olaplaex overnight, because I want to get the most bang for my buck.
So far so good now.
I find I can get the small bottle to last a lot longer if I emulsify it by rubbing it my hands before I apply it to my hair. My hair is BSL and pretty thick. I have a 3.3 oz bottle of no3 that I’ve used 3 times and it’s still half full. I also make sure my hair is damp when I apply it so that it spreads better.

View attachment 459461
I don’t know why the picture is rotated.

I did apply to damp hair, in small sections and brushed through with a detangling brush. I guess I could have used less, but I watched the below YouTube video, and she was insistent that getting the hair thoroughly saturated was key to getting the best results. I’d rather have a few great treatments, than save money to have more okay treatments. What do y’all think?

Even if I was a bit more conservative, I’m sure 1.5 oz or less won’t cover my whole head.

lalla

I did apply to damp hair, in small sections and brushed through with a detangling brush. I guess I could have used less, but I watched the below YouTube video, and she was insistent that getting the hair thoroughly saturated was key to getting the best results. I’d rather have a few great treatments, than save money to have more okay treatments. What do y’all think?

Even if I was a bit more conservative, I’m sure 1.5 oz or less won’t cover my whole head.

Actually you need very little product. They have tons of information on their website.

Theresamonet

Actually you need very little product. They have tons of information on their website.

Do you mind pointing out where it says this? Of course, I’ve looked over the information on the website, but what I’ve read repeats what it says on the bottle, “Apply a generous amount from scalp to ends until hair is thoroughly saturated”. I don’t see anything about needing very little product. That would certainly be conflicting information.

lalla

Do you mind pointing out where it says this? Of course, I’ve looked over the information on the website, but what I’ve read repeats what it says on the bottle, “Apply a generous amount from scalp to ends until hair is thoroughly saturated”. I don’t see anything about needing very little product. That would certainly be conflicting information.

Hello,

I remember reading (on their blog I think) that they had found out that they needed much less than previously thought. I'll try to find the link.

metro_qt

That's what I've read as well, on the bottle.. but then I did A LOT of research online,and seeing that stylists and other users were easily able to do their whole head multiple times with one bottle, because they feel olaplaex has so much Slip...
I'm going to do a treatment in 10 minutes and see if I agree with the slip' statements

ETA.
I started out with a quarter bottle... maybe a little bit more, and I've just ended with half the bottle left.

So I am basically getting 4 uses per bottle.
I've seen others on Youtube getting 8 uses per bottle.... but their hair isn't curly, etc....

Last edited:

metro_qt

I have very bleached hair, which is beginning to act up..which is why I use Olaplex... I usually concentrate the treatment on my hair shaft half way down, because my hair colour has grown out so much. I also concentrate my treatment on the front half of my head which has the most bleach and is more problematic (shedding) so.... this second bottle is how I've been approaching things.

Are you also bleached or heat damaged? Maybe you save more of the bottle if you use it sparingly on the areas that need it the most?

charmtreese

I still continue to use Olaplex 2,4 & 5 with every wash.

I use Olaplex No 2 as a pre-poo. I section my hair into 4 sections, and dampen my hair by spraying it with a vinegar water mixture and then I apply No.2 to each section. I normally leave the treatment in overnight. I purchased the 67.62 oz container from cosmoprof, and this has lasted me for a while.

I also use the Olaplex shampoo and Olaplex conditioner along with Mielle Organic Babassu Oil & Mint Deep Conditioner.

prettyinpurple

I agree.

This is my first time hearing of people taking small sections and saturating each section.

I think that I do a couple of good size squirts and apply it all over. I squirted some product in my hands, rub them together, apply to my hair and repeat. You won't see the product on your hair, if you're looking for that.

I get great results when using it that way. Now I wouldn't pay for it if the key is saturating small sections. I'd be mad to use up the bottle so quickly lol.

prettyinpurple

I don't think it's our version of generous lol.

Think of it as a generous amount for products that normally say use a dime amount.

ETA:
Oh and you don't need a sulfate shampoo to rinse it out. My routine:
Clarify with Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo.
Apply Olaplex no. 3.
Shampoo.

Right now I use the Bekura Fatty Coconut Cleansing Hair Froth. In the past I've used the Olaplex shampoo, DevaCurl No-Poo, and an OGX shampoo.

I use the clarifying shampoo to remove product build-up before applying no.3. I wash my hair every 2 weeks or so.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

I agree.

This is my first time hearing of people taking small sections and saturating each section.

I think that I do a couple of good size squirts and apply it all over. I squirted some product in my hands, rub them together, apply to my hair and repeat. You won't see the product on your hair, if you're looking for that.

I get great results when using it that way. Now I wouldn't pay for it if the key is saturating small sections. I'd be mad to use up the bottle so quickly lol.

Okay, I will try using it the way you do (just a few big squirts and work it in), and see if there is any difference. I did love the treatment, and planned to continue purchasing.

I did go ahead and use a sulfate free shampoo bar to wash out, after realizing that the Olaplex shampoo is sulfate free.

How often do you do a treatment?

@metro_qt No bleach or heat damage. But had some breakage and loss of elasticity. My hair definitely has its spring back after the treatment.

prettyinpurple

Okay, I will try using it the way you do (just a few big squirts and work it in), and see if there is any difference. I did love the treatment, and planned to continue purchasing.

I did go ahead and use a sulfate free shampoo bar to wash out, after realizing that the Olaplex shampoo is sulfate free.

How often do you do a treatment?

@metro_qt No bleach or heat damage. But had some breakage and loss of elasticity. My hair definitely has its spring back after the treatment.
I use it every time I wash my hair, pretty much, which is 2x/month max. If I washed my hair on a more frequent basis, I'd probably use it once a month or every other wash.

I already used it pretty regularly and made sure to keep it up once I got highlights.

metro_qt

I am also using the Olaplex no 6 and no 7 (I think it smells like citrus! I love it lol), it's so smoothing and kills frizz like no other. My ends stay soft and retain moisture so much longer. A little goes a loooooong way, These products are very potent and I think it should last me a good while.

The Olaplex no 3 on the other hand is half way through with only two applications :(. To be fair I am kinda generous with it for each section.

I am very tempted to try the no 1/no 2 but idk how easy it would be to get an authentic product from ebay/amazon.
@waff can you tell me more about your experience with No. 6 and 7?

Or anyone for that matter?
Do those who use No. 6 and 7 do regular wash n gos on natural hair?

Does No. 6 and 7. replace No 3, or are they complementary?

lindseyerinc

@waff can you tell me more about your experience with No. 6 and 7?

Or anyone for that matter?
Do those who use No. 6 and 7 do regular wash n gos on natural hair?

Does No. 6 and 7. replace No 3, or are they complementary?
I use No. 6 as a leave-in/heat protector for when I blow dry (2x week). I haven’t tried no. 7 yet but I would like to. It does not replace no. 3 at all.

metro_qt

Thanks @lindseyerinc and @gemruby41 , I appreciate your replies.

UPDATE!
Olaplex (no 3)
is finally working for me! (ok this bottle always worked, as per my previous posts...but i'm VERY impressed with it!)

I am at the bottom of my bottle of Olaplex, and I can now see the difference it has made in my hair.
The first bottle I had that I had ordered on Amazon was definitely fake.

It took my hair the whole bottle (of the proper formula) to start seeing a difference.

My curls are so bouncy and springy that my hair is shorter (which is a little annoying)
I don't know if I can attribute the shine/sheen to the treatment, but it looks full, and
I'm definitely losing a lot less hair to breakage. It's actually beginning to be fun doing my hair again.

I do a treatment every 2 weeks or so, and my personal trick is to do a long deep condition right after I
do the treatment. My hair feels and acts the best that way. I find when I don't, my hair is brittle.

I'm going to be ordering another bottle of no 3 this week, and a bottle of no 6 to use as a leave it.
(From what I've been researching, it really helps with moisture in between washes)

Last edited:

GettingKinky

I’ve used no 3 sporadically (3 or 4 times total) and I haven’t noticed any changes in my hair. Maybe I should use it more regularly. Although I don’t know what I’m hoping will happen.

metro_qt

I’ve used no 3 sporadically (3 or 4 times total) and I haven’t noticed any changes in my hair. Maybe I should use it more regularly. Although I don’t know what I’m hoping will happen.
@GettingKinky
I didn't know what to expect either, and i'm SUPPPPER sporadic... so basically, i've used no. 3 about five times since April. (I purchased it at the end of April).
My hair is now very curly, stronger -less hair shedding- which is HUGE, because I have anemia that I am currently working on reversing.

Also, I'm now able to wear my hair - conditioner only.... I've never been able to do that before. It still looks slightly hot mess-ish, but, good enough to go do groceries, etc.

Because of my hair acting like this, I've been able to really... Wash.. and GOOOO.. and just leave it alone for most of the summer.
For fall and winter, I should see a LOT of growth and retention this year, because i've mostly left it alone.

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky
I didn't know what to expect either, and i'm SUPPPPER sporadic... so basically, i've used no. 3 about five times since April. (I purchased it at the end of April).
My hair is now very curly, stronger -less hair shedding- which is HUGE, because I have anemia that I am currently working on reversing.

Also, I'm now able to wear my hair - conditioner only.... I've never been able to do that before. It still looks slightly hot mess-ish, but, good enough to go do groceries, etc.

Because of my hair acting like this, I've been able to really... Wash.. and GOOOO.. and just leave it alone for most of the summer.
For fall and winter, I should see a LOT of growth and retention this year, because i've mostly left it alone.

how many days does your conditioner only wash n go last? If I could get 3 days from conditioner only, I’m totally willing to wash every 3 days.

metro_qt

how many days does your conditioner only wash n go last? If I could get 3 days from conditioner only, I’m totally willing to wash every 3 days.
It's a very floppy wash n go when I don't use gel, so I haven't really counted the days. I still make it last a week or so, but a conditioner only wash n go usually ends up in a bun after a while or stuck under a hat by the end days....