Old School Hot Comb Press?

God_Favor

I'm newly natural and have given up on the electric pressing comb, it just does not seem to get my hair straight, so I want to go the old school way w/ the hot comb on stove but I'm kinda scare, I have had a couple of incidents w/ this method in the past..
Any Tip???

Do any of you ladies use this method??

navsegda

God_Favor said:
I'm newly natural and have given up on the electric pressing comb, it just does not seem to get my hair straight, so I want to go the old school way w/ the hot comb on stove but I'm kinda scare, I have had a couple of incidents w/ this method in the past..
Any Tip???

Do any of you ladies use this method??
Not all heat is created equal. If you are using hot combs or other conventional heat methods you are running a much greater risk of damaging your hair.

I talked a little bit about this subject in my post here.

CAPlush

Have you tried using a flat iron on your hair? It's much less damaging and you can achieve straight results. I used to have my 4a/4b hair flat-ironed straight. I'm sorry, I don't have any info on old-fashioned presses because I've never had one done before.

God_Favor

navsegda said:
Not all heat is created equal. If you are using hot combs or other conventional heat methods you are running a much greater risk of damaging your hair.

I talked a little bit about this subject in my post here.

Thanks for Link, great Info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God_Favor

CAPlush said:
Have you tried using a flat iron on your hair? It's much less damaging and you can achieve straight results. I used to have my 4a/4b hair flat-ironed straight. I'm sorry, I don't have any info on old-fashioned presses because I've never had one done before.

I do have tourmaline flatirons (that I really like) but they do nothing for my roots and edges!! It was the BOMB when I was relaxed!! I remember how straight my hair got when I was younger doing the old method-there was never an issue with the roots... Thanks for your reply ,maybe I need a smaller iron !

chayil0427

I would procede with caution. That's a lot of un-measurable heat. If you decide to try it I'd use a marcel iron stove like stylists use so u can have some control over the heat. Also test the iron on tissue...if it browns the tissue it's too hot.

I'd think that flat ironing would be the best option. You won't have those teeth ripping through your hair and you'll have total control over the heat.

Chayil

God_Favor

chayil0427 said:
I would procede with caution. That's a lot of un-measurable heat. If you decide to try it I'd use a marcel iron stove like stylists use so u can have some control over the heat. Also test the iron on tissue...if it browns the tissue it's too hot.

I'd think that flat ironing would be the best option. You won't have those teeth ripping through your hair and you'll have total control over the heat.

Chayil
Thanks, I'm starting to thing I'm going to pull out the tourmaline! Ladies any advice on how to get roots and edges straight???

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I do the old school hot comb press. I have a stove that I plug in. I also use an old white rag to determine the amount of heat. As suggested, if it turns the rag brown, it definitely is too hot.

Flat irons don't get my hair straight at all. But I started pressing my hair years ago. My suggestion is you may want to get an inexpensive wig of human hair on which to practice. Or, find someone who presses hair and ask them how they do it. I usually get my hair done and have someone, who I trust press it. It can be damaging and risky if you are just starting out. I have been pressing since I started my hair journey here on lhcf in 2003, but I do it or have it done only about 2-3 times per year.

God_Favor

Chicoro said:
I do the old school hot comb press. I have a stove that I plug in. I also use an old white rag to determine the amount of heat. As suggested, if it turns the rag brown, it definitely is too hot.

Flat irons don't get my hair straight at all. But I started pressing my hair years ago. My suggestion is you may want to get an inexpensive wig of human hair on which to practice. Or, find someone who presses hair and ask them how they do it. I usually get my hair done and have someone, who I trust press it. It can be damaging and risky if you are just starting out. I have been pressing since I started my hair journey here on lhcf in 2003, but I do it or have it done only about 2-3 times per year.

Thanks! Your suggestion about the wig is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!