Old School Thinking

Lindy

I was at the mall yesterday with my daughter & my Mom and she asked me when last I had washed my hair. So I said "Monday, and I'm washing it again tomorrow." She said "WHY???? You're gonna wash all your hair right out of your head!!!" I just shook my head and didn't even comment. I've told her before that I wash my hair weekly, (which isn't even that much compared to most of the ladies here, I know!!!) She only washes hers every 2 weeks and has been doing that for as long as I can remember.

**SIGH** I guess some people just can't let go of that old school type of thinking, about water not being good for the hair.

Does anyone else ever experience this with friends/relatives?????

I know a lot of people that still wash their hair every two weeks. When I was a child, I used to get my hair done once a week. A lot of people that aren't into hair care (like we are here) probably don't realize it's ok to wash their hair more often. I know I didn't know until I joined my first hair care board.

Most of the women in my family shampoo 2-3 times a month and have an unnatural affection for hair grease. They think I'm crazy for wetting my hair every day. They say, "Those women on the Internet are lying about how healthy their hair is! Your hair is going to dry up and fall out!"
ohwell.gif

lol @ sassy, my sisters say the same thing. My mom looks at me like i'm a sick child, she says,"Every time i turn around you're washing your hair"

well, since my scalp has been bad since high school, i've always washed my twice a week. i actually wash it less now, at once a week. they don't really question anything that i do now though because of the progress that i've made.

I told my sister she should start washing her hair more often than every 2 weeks as she does now.She starts asking me if I think im white or if I am trying to be white.Even after I explain I only use shampoo once a week max.
It just makes me so angry when she doesnt even want to listen to me.

I think we should simply let our awesome hair speak for itself!!! My mom has totally put her hair in my hands since she has seen for herself how much better my hair is since joining this board. Her hair is way longer now and she supports the pj in me too!!!

Whenever someone asks how often i wash, it's because they're trying to get some "insight" into my regime so that they can copy it.... Even haters; now a few of them are washing wkly
laugh.gif

I went to visit my little sis on vacation and she noticed how often I washed my hair. Her comment was that if I wanted my hair to grow even faster, I should just wash it once a month like her. Then I said "Oh, okay, I guess that's why your hair goes to the middle of your back!"

Ha! Her hair is neck length and always has been.

[ QUOTE ]
I think we should simply let our awesome hair speak for itself!!! My mom has totally put her hair in my hands since she has seen for herself how much better my hair is since joining this board. Her hair is way longer now and she supports the pj in me too!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I do. They no longer disagree with me...although I get the ocassional well you can do that with YOUR hair...but mine would fall out. I just don't comment and keep doing what I'm doing...My hair speaks for itself.

[ QUOTE ]
Her comment was that if I wanted my hair to grow even faster, I should just wash it once a month like her

[/ QUOTE ]

That comment may fit into the "Dirt grows hair" theory. A few months ago, my mother actually told me that. She said that she learned that from her grandmother. I don't believe that dirt grows hair. However, I think they are confusing growing hair with retaining length.

-Ebony

Yep; my Mom told me a story once about some girl she used to know in Jamaica when she was a little girl. She said this girl hardly ever washed her hair, and it grew like wildfire. I guess my Mom just can't forget that girl, even today, huh???
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Oh, today we were out and it started to rain, it wasn't pouring, but more than a drizzle... I said that the rain water is good for the hair and she said "Well I need my umbrella cuz I dont have white people hair!!" And her hair was in a bun!!! Man, she is TERRIFIED of water!!!
nuts.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That comment may fit into the "Dirt grows hair" theory. A few months ago, my mother actually told me that. She said that she learned that from her grandmother. I don't believe that dirt grows hair. However, I think they are confusing growing hair with retaining length.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, maybe I was guilty of this type of thinking too... But now I know that the only things that dirt grows are plants.
rosebud.gif
rosebud.gif
rosebud.gif
LOL.
Chichi
bdance.gif

I used to wash once a week. Now that my hair loves conditioner washes I wash at least 3 times a week. I haven't discussed how frequently I wash my hair with anyone other than you ladies on the hair boards. (I know my mother would freak out because she believes in that once a month thing, dirt grows the hair myth too. lol!) Actually no one has asked me lately. When and if they do I'll tell them and they can say whatever they want because my healthy hair will speak for itself.
smile.gif

Oh, today we were out and it started to rain, it wasn't pouring, but more than a drizzle... I said that the rain water is good for the hair

Lindy, where did u hear this? That's interesting b/c my grandmother told me that if you put a container outside when it rains and then wash your hair w/that water that it's supposed to be good for hair growth.

i know what you guys mean about those weird theories. my grandmother washed her hair at maximum once a month. she also NEVER used conditioner, which was very weird to me because she used head and shoulders, which can dry out hair. she also did not believe in monthly trims. when she did get a trim, she only did it on "the growing of the moon". I have never really understood that concept. But, I have to say, her hair was never thin and was always atleast to her shoulders. I guess some people have length regardless of what they do.

I kinda recently just went thru tha same thing. My big sis observed me two dayz in a row gettin out the shower with wet hair. then she stands at my door and says "u need to stop washing ur hair everyday. Ur not white. It's all gonna fall out! trust me i know what i'm talkin about" But u cant really take advice from someone whose hair hasn't been healthy since my mom stopped taking care of it can u??
naughty.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the women in my family shampoo 2-3 times a month and have an unnatural affection for hair grease. They think I'm crazy for wetting my hair every day. They say, "Those women on the Internet are lying about how healthy their hair is! Your hair is going to dry up and fall out!"
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, sorry for laughing, but they can't say they've seen all of your hair fall out yet, have they?
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yep; my Mom told me a story once about some girl she used to know in Jamaica when she was a little girl. She said this girl hardly ever washed her hair, and it grew like wildfire. I guess my Mom just can't forget that girl, even today, huh???
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Oh, today we were out and it started to rain, it wasn't pouring, but more than a drizzle... I said that the rain water is good for the hair and she said "Well I need my umbrella cuz I dont have white people hair!!" And her hair was in a bun!!! Man, she is TERRIFIED of water!!!
nuts.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Oh my goodness, this is so funny!
laugh.gif

My sister told me last week of a woman she knows that only doesn't even wash her hair between touchups!
shocked.gif
She said the lady told her that dirt makes her hair grow!!
huh.gif

We both looked at each other and nearly threw up!
barf.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol!! My some family might think the same thing. As a child my Mom would wash my hair once every 2 wks. Hair wasn't high up on her list of priorities.

i am guilty...
i used to think that my hair "looked" better when it was not clean...that the style was just starting to look good! oh, brother.

well then i grew up, got a job, and started going to the beauty shop...then i noticed that my hair only looked good when it was freshly shampooed and unattractive as it got dirty...

now i've got it down to a science-i wash my hair once a week and i don't overload on products and i typically have a good hair week!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Lindy, where did u hear this? That's interesting b/c my grandmother told me that if you put a container outside when it rains and then wash your hair w/that water that it's supposed to be good for hair growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Caramela,
Actually, I think I read that here on the forum!! I don't know if there's any truth in it, I think I just said it to hear what her comment would be!!
laugh.gif
I knew she'd have something to say!!

I do remember Peachtree saying that she loved to go outside when it's raining and get her hair all wet.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, sorry for laughing, but they can't say they've seen all of your hair fall out yet, have they?
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yet. But to hear them tell it, it's just a matter of time! It's what I deserve for listening to all the liars on the "Innernet".
laugh.gif
Heck, I lost more hair following their tips over the years! The worst: Brushing shampoo through the hair.
shocked.gif
I did this for years. They still do...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yet. But to hear them tell it, it's just a matter of time! It's what I deserve for listening to all the liars on the "Innernet".
laugh.gif
Heck, I lost more hair following their tips over the years! The worst: Brushing shampoo through the hair.
shocked.gif
I did this for years. They still do...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!
rofl.gif

I went to the doctor's on Friday and I was talking to my nurse about her hair. I told her I liked her highlights she said they were making her hair really dry and now her hair can't take a perm and "she don't have no bad hair"
laugh.gif
Anyway she was saying that she has to really keep her hair greased so the highlights won't break her hair off and she only washes her hair once a month
barf.gif

@ Pebbles:

The ones offering the "tips" usually have hair that is greasy, stuck together and full of product crumbs, but it's still very long, so I'm the one that looks crazy. For now... Just wait!
angeldevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
@ Pebbles:

The ones offering the "tips" usually have hair that is greasy, stuck together and full of product crumbs, but it's still very long, so I'm the one that looks crazy. For now... Just wait!
angeldevil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Just wait!!
laugh.gif

Back