Olive oil causing scalp burns

mrsmeredith

My niece has eczema and whenever she oils her scalp with olive oil or any type of oil she gets severe scalp burns as though it was a perm (scalp burn). It will scalb over after a few days but do anyone know what causes this strange issue. :perplexed So she can't really oil her scalp unless its realllly dry but then she has to suffer the consequences.:ohwell: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

HoneyDew

:eek:

Girl, I think this site has ESP!!

I have using it in my henna/cassia mix and each time it burns a lot. I have used it in 2 mixtures and each one was burning and tingling a lot.

This weekend, I noticed that I have an area on my scalp that is very tender an feels sore to the touch. I don't know what it is from and it is scary :perplexed

I think I am going to see if I get those tingles next weekend if I exclude the Olive Oil from my mixture.

Maybe some people are allergic or something.

belle_reveuse28

Wow, I've never heard of olive oil doing anythign to anybody. Interesting.. But I can vouch for the emu oil suggestion from a fellow eczema sufferer. I love that stuff and it absorbs beautifully. I have gotten amazing comments about my skin when using straight up emu oil. It just glows and it moisturized. Can't stop touching it myself from unbelief! Hope this helps !;)

Aalize

This is very strange. I've never heard of being burned by using oils in the way that you describe.

Does this occur when she uses products containing oil? Or just when she uses oil directly?

KiniKakes

mkstar826 said:
sounds like some kind of an allergic reaction to me...has she visited the dermatologist?

I concur! I hope she has ceased usage immedietely. :( I hope u guys figure out what the problem is pronto.

HoneyDew

StrawberryQueen said:
Sooo I may sound like a dummy here, but is Emu oil the liquified fat of an Emu? Please tell me. :look:

Basically, yes. It is a by product from Emu Farms that sell Emu meat.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Hey, it sounds like she's allergic to it. The same type of thing happens to my sister when she comes in contact with sunscreen and make up. I don't know what she could use for moisture.... maybe aloe vera gel? I have to ask my bestfriend what she uses... she has bad flare ups of eczema at times.

preciousjewel76

kweenameena said:
where can you purchase Emu oil online?

Emu meat? I bet it tastes like chicken.:look:

Hee hee, I bet it does too. I mean, the emu is just a great big ol' bird, right? Shoot, if you take one of those emu legs, pluck it, roll it in some seasoned flour, and fry it up, I bet you could feed a small army.:lol:

HoneyDew

preciousjewel76 said:
Hee hee, I bet it does too. I mean, the emu is just a great big ol' bird, right? Shoot, if you take one of those emu legs, pluck it, roll it in some seasoned flour, and fry it up, I bet you could feed a small army.:lol:

I read that it is red meat and an healthy alternative to beef. who knew? :)

Royal Glory

mrsmeredith said:
My niece has eczema and whenever she oils her scalp with olive oil or any type of oil she gets severe scalp burns as though it was a perm (scalp burn). It will scalb over after a few days but do anyone know what causes this strange issue. :perplexed So she can't really oil her scalp unless its realllly dry but then she has to suffer the consequences.:ohwell: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Try vitamin E oil. It is supposed to be good for eczema sufferers. I jojoba oil is too, but maybe she could start with vit E.

mrsmeredith

Thanks guys for the advice. She can put oil anywhere else on her body with no ill affects its just her scalp. :perplexed SHe uses olive oil on her face with no issues what so ever. Thats why I don't think its necessarily an allergic reaction.And yes its any oil; baby oil, olive oil, almond oil, grease, oil sheen,anything thats oil related on her scalp. She will have scalp burns as severe as a perm burn no kidding.