OMG... This straight hair thing SUCKS!

davisbr88

So.... even though I am trying to do a very low-heat transition, I decided to pull out the Maxiglide and straighten since I wanted my hair to be straight for graduation this Saturday. Omg... I love the way it looks and the fact that I got to see how long it had grown... HOWEVER, this is so much more trouble than it's worth! I feel like I can't do anything! For one thing, I am extremely anemic... like, when everyone else is wearing shorts, I could still use a light jacket in order to be comfortable. I'm rarely ever hot, however, when I do get hot, the FIRST place I sweat is my scalp! So... for the past couple of days, I have had to suffer through cold nights (I rarely ever sleep without a heater on but haven't been able to because I'm afraid to sweat) and consequently have gotten crappy sleep, was freaking out when the weather decided it wanted to be wet, and couldn't go out with my friends tonight because I was too afraid that the heat in the bar would make my new growth go POOF! How do you other transitioners and naturals that straighten handle this problem? I feel like just doing a freaking twist-out and getting my life back!

belldandy

straight hair...the novelty does wear off fast. I don't even go out anymore due to my hair always poofing up on the dancefloor...its not a cute poof either!

virtuenow

I've learned to just work with the humidity. It helps my hair to evolve into different styles. Twist out, bantu knot out, etc. It looks like a brand new style and saves u from the stress of keeping it "straight"

BlackMasterPiece

Well this thread title is a refreshing change of pace lol

Yea straight hair is cool but its not the end all be all. When I'm pressed I wear shower caps in the shower, pin-curl at night and avoid super high humidity....its not a huge chore for me as I dont really sweat like that. My presses last beautifully. Its really easy to maintain in the winters/cooler months and a little trickier in the summer but for the most part....doable.....just gotta stay mindful of the weekly weather reports for any style you're doing.

I would never limit my activities based on my hair poofing though....I will get my swirve on and flirt the night away as my hair gets bigger and bigger....its all good I'm sexy regardless:cool2:.

I feel you though OP I'm really gravitating more toward textured weather-proof natural styles that will look the same no matter what the weather is like...theres no anxiety with these styles its so liberating I was recently strolling in a light drizzle with my mini twists and no umbrella it was such a great feeling.

Last edited:

LatterGlory

You just reinforced why I still texlax.

Spending hours straightening hair just for it to go poof at the first sign of humidity :nono::perplexed.

I may go back to natural once I don't have so much on my plate though ( maybe:look: )... there is nothing better than well taken care of healthy natural hair.

Like BMP just rock what you got like it's all that you want.

belldandy

lol yea I guess it's good to have that attitude.
I guess I'm more or less scarred because I was at a gothic nightclub and everyone was like o_O as if I am the weirdo here just cuz my afro is all jagged....

BlackMasterPiece

/\ Pfft they just mad cuz they gotta use a jar and a half of gel daily to get their spiked hair to stand up like ours does with nothin more then some water:cool2:

BostonMaria

I don't bother straightening my hair in the summer because my hair goes POOF the second I walk outside LOL

When I straighten my hair I always put it in a very high ponytail (pineapple), make a bun and pin it down. The next morning I unravel it and I get nice beach waves, straight hair. Oh and I always check the weather forecast before doing my hair. If its going to be 85 and humid there's no point. If I do rollerset in the summer, which is rare, I leave it in a ponytail. Boston summers are so incredibly hot that its just easier to wet my hair in the morning, slap it in a ponytail and run out the door. So refreshing too.

growth2come

Well I am planning on having my hair out this summer so I guess if there any times from naturals who have particular products that help tame the mane when its humid. I will wear a roller set for just a few days while in spain. The weather there is crazy so any advice before I waste time rollersetting, drying for 2 hours, and saran wrapping my hair only to ending up with and oversized hollywood glamour hair do!

davisbr88

I feel like I wouldn't mind straightening it and it getting big while I'm fully natural just because my hair wouldn't be super flat to begin with... AND when it goes poof, it will ALL go poof! Since I'm transitioning, the only thing that would happen is my roots would go poof! and the rest of my hair would just shrink up! So it's not like it would be possible to put it back in a cute puff or anything....my ol raggedy ends are pissin me off!!!!!
Lol.... And in any other circumstance I don't think I'd honestly care, but that fact that I did it for graduation, I can't be looking all crazy in my pics and whatnot. Guess you gotta make sacrifices... *blech*

SummerSolstice

have you tried redken smooth down products? My hair is always smoother when I use their smooth down butter treat and their heat glide.

Miss_C

I'm with you on the straight hair thing, I have no skills when it comes to that so my hair goes insta-POOF as soon as I hit the door. If you're really desperate for straight hair though, try a half wig underneath the cap and gown. No one will know the diff or ask you to take the cap off, as it's your day :)

Imani

I am almost 9 months post, 4b and I get my hair professionaly blow dried and flat ironed weekly. I've been doing this my entire transition. So maybe my hair is "heat trained" now, but I rarely have a problem with reversion unless I break a super serious sweat. The roots and edges may puff up a little, but it stays relatively straight.

Even if I do a super intense cardio exercise session my crown will have no visible reversion. You can touch it and feel little crinkles but just looking at it, its still straight. The back reverts quicker; i just sweat more in the back of my head, i guess and maybe the texture is different.

Since I work out during the week, I only wear my hair styled and out on the weekend. Then during the week when I work out, its pulled back in a phony pony. But if I didn't work out, I could go about my daily activies without any major reversion.

I think Ive always had the misconception that my hair type was harder to straighten and stay straight, but I don't think thats the case. Its like bc I don't really have a curl pattern, it may be easier to straighten. I had a co worker who has beautiful 3c hair, and she walked into a gathering with a silky bouncy fresh press. Then the activies moved outdoors where it was dreary, humid, and misting. Her hair swelled up and reverted in a matter of minutes, it was puffy and frizzy and had lost its shine. she ended up pulling it back in a rubberband, you couldnt even tell she'd gotten it done. My hair stays straight, even in humidity, its not going to revert unless its almost soaking wet.

LadyRaider

I straightened my hair this weekend and gave myself a hairgasm. :) I LOVE my hair straight. And I'm just shoulder length. I don't know if I'll be able to go out of the house once it gets longer.

Girlfriend! My graduation is next Saturday! I'm straightening on Friday evening! Why try to make a week???

NIN4eva

I am almost 9 months post, 4b and I get my hair professionaly blow dried and flat ironed weekly. I've been doing this my entire transition. So maybe my hair is "heat trained" now, but I rarely have a problem with reversion unless I break a super serious sweat. The roots and edges may puff up a little, but it stays relatively straight.

Even if I do a super intense cardio exercise session my crown will have no visible reversion. You can touch it and feel little crinkles but just looking at it, its still straight. The back reverts quicker; i just sweat more in the back of my head, i guess and maybe the texture is different.

Since I work out during the week, I only wear my hair styled and out on the weekend. Then during the week when I work out, its pulled back in a phony pony. But if I didn't work out, I could go about my daily activies without any major reversion.

I think Ive always had the misconception that my hair type was harder to straighten and stay straight, but I don't think thats the case. Its like bc I don't really have a curl pattern, it may be easier to straighten. I had a co worker who has beautiful 3c hair, and she walked into a gathering with a silky bouncy fresh press. Then the activies moved outdoors where it was dreary, humid, and misting. Her hair swelled up and reverted in a matter of minutes, it was puffy and frizzy and had lost its shine. she ended up pulling it back in a rubberband, you couldnt even tell she'd gotten it done. My hair stays straight, even in humidity, its not going to revert unless its almost soaking wet.

That's interesting. Flat ironing my hair is a no-no :nono: but I am curious, what products are your stylist using?

brucebettye

I have given up on straight hair. I don't have the time or energy to make my hair straight and I am texlaxed. My hair is so much easier to deal with by just letting it do what it wants to do.

LadyAmani

OP what about Sabino Moisture Block I don't know if it works personally but i have been hearing great things about it.

Loves Harmony

I tried to straight my hair the other day and i say 8 minutes later my hair curls right back up.

Last edited:

Victorian

old head
I just let it poof :look:
It's been rainy and dreary in Chicago and I wore my hair out yesterday anyway. I had a hood on my raincoat, and a big umbrella. I tucked my hair down into my collar on the way to work, so it was still smooth when I got to work.
During lunch I went on a walk (it wasn't raining at that point, just sort of misty). I didn't have my hood up so it poofed a bit. I put it in a bun when I got back to the office.
By the time work was over my hair had smoothed out again, so I took it down so it could be free on the way home. It was pretty big by the time I got home after walking to the El, walking to my apt...But I had a headband on so it was still cute. *shrug* Just roll with it.

I sleep with my hair in a bun, and today it's smoothed out again and feeling especially soft. I think my hair likes getting to drink the mist from time to time :lol:

Imani

That's interesting. Flat ironing my hair is a no-no :nono: but I am curious, what products are your stylist using?

The salon has its own line of products that they use and also design essentials products. The use FHI styling tools. And also I DC under a steamer at least twice a month.

MsLizziA

OP what about Sabino Moisture Block I don't know if it works personally but i have been hearing great things about it.
Co - sign. I use Sabino and i live in new orleans, HUMIDTY HELL! And my hair doesn't revert and THAT is a miracle because i have tried everything and that's the only thing that works and lets it stay like that. You should invest in some but don't use too much

davisbr88

have you tried redken smooth down products? My hair is always smoother when I use their smooth down butter treat and their heat glide.
Yeah, I'm a Redken addict. When I first did it, my hair was smooth. I don't have trouble getting my hair smooth at all. I guess because I have fine curls, but my hair straightens really easily. It's the humidity!

I'm with you on the straight hair thing, I have no skills when it comes to that so my hair goes insta-POOF as soon as I hit the door. If you're really desperate for straight hair though, try a half wig underneath the cap and gown. No one will know the diff or ask you to take the cap off, as it's your day :)
I would but my mom is the one who wants my hair straight. Now that she sees how long it's grown she is so pressed. And no, I don't do everything my mom says but it's the least I can do for her for graduation.

I straightened my hair this weekend and gave myself a hairgasm. :) I LOVE my hair straight. And I'm just shoulder length. I don't know if I'll be able to go out of the house once it gets longer.

Girlfriend! My graduation is next Saturday! I'm straightening on Friday evening! Why try to make a week???
I really should have waited til Friday but there's so much going on this week so I was scared it would be a half-a** job if I did it then, especially because commencement is on Friday night and I have A LOT to do Friday all day so it was a recipe for disaster.

Oh yeah, I have heard of that... hmmm... I may try that. I don't straighten my hair often at all. This is the second time I have done it since last August. I will see if someone can pass me a sample for when I straighten in August to trim. Thanks for reminding me of that.

davisbr88

Co - sign. I use Sabino and i live in new orleans, HUMIDTY HELL! And my hair doesn't revert and THAT is a miracle because i have tried everything and that's the only thing that works and lets it stay like that. You should invest in some but don't use too much

Oooooh. Can you hook a sista up with a sample? I'll pay!:grin:
I just don't want to get a whole bottle because I am moving into a new apartment with less space and I want the least amount of bottles and stuff as possible, and since I only am straightening my hair in August and probably not again until August 2011, I don't want a whole bottle taking up unnecessary space. Or can you use it for other styles too? Does it keep your sets from getting big too?

MsLizziA

I just don't want to get a whole bottle because I am moving into a new apartment with less space and I want the least amount of bottles and stuff as possible, and since I only am straightening my hair in August and probably not again until August 2011, I don't want a whole bottle taking up unnecessary space. Or can you use it for other styles too? Does it keep your sets from getting big too?
Umm i would like to but idk how we would do that. Lol shipping alone is going to be worth wayyy more than a sample.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I don't bother straightening my hair in the summer because my hair goes POOF the second I walk outside LOL

When I straighten my hair I always put it in a very high ponytail (pineapple), make a bun and pin it down. The next morning I unravel it and I get nice beach waves, straight hair. Oh and I always check the weather forecast before doing my hair. If its going to be 85 and humid there's no point. If I do rollerset in the summer, which is rare, I leave it in a ponytail. Boston summers are so incredibly hot that its just easier to wet my hair in the morning, slap it in a ponytail and run out the door. So refreshing too.
Same here. I don't even bother straightening in humid weather, there's no point.

It's a nice break from roller setting and I get to enjoy my natural curls.

hairedity

don't worry, the bottle is really not that big, it's actually quite small.

I do agree this straight hair thing does suck! After spending waaaaay too much time at the hairdresser last week thursday, my hair was sooooooo nice. That lasted until Friday late evening, then it started to frizz. By Saturday it was frizzy and that was the end of my 24hr fabulous press; my hair's been in a ponytail since. I think today I'll just throw in the towel, wash it and find other ways to work w/my texture.

beautyaddict1913

I hate straight hair when it comes to the activities of life. I revealed my hair in February and was so excited that I decided to wear it pressed to New Orleans Super bowl weekend...what I do dat for?

My avatar pic is how my hair looked when I first got it flatironed on a Thursday.
We left for New Orleans the following Saturday. Here's how it looked the first night:

By the end of the night, my hair and make-up sweated lol and this isnt even one of the worse ones. I had my friends remove those from facebook so I dont have em lol:

Sunday during the day, it was done, I twisted it at the top and put a clip on it. Tried to make it work:

Sunday night, getting ready to go celebrate the Saints victory, it was even worse lol:

And its not just because Im transitioning! When I had a perm I would leave the club or any hot event with an afro. Straight hair is just for the birds. Straight weave too!

When I wear my weave like this, I dont have to worry about it lol:

Davis, you are absolutely correct! Straight hair sucks, whether its natural, transitioning, relaxed or weaved, its hard to manage lol!

Last edited:

beautyaddict1913

yea N.O.'s humidity is pretty beasty! Last year during Essence it reverted my curly weave lol! I have got to hunt down some Sabino because the Fantasia IC aint doing it for me!