OMG, Yall was not playing about the baking soda!

new-life

Wowwwww, I prepoo'd my hair w/Vitale Cholesterol conditioner last night because I was planning to wash today. Last night and today I kept reading over the Baking soda threads because there was so many raves about it as a clarifying shampoo. Because I prepoo'd (which I don't do often) and I haven't clarified in a minute, I decided to try this instead of my AO clarifying shampoo. Ok, so I'm in the shower, and I put a small handful of baking soda in a big plastic cup of water. Mixed it up, and proceeded to pour and rub all over my hair. I let it sit for 3-5 mins, and started rinsing out. I could literally feel the gunk/oil sliding down my hair as I rinsed out. I did the BS rinse a second time, and the same, but less. But I wasn't sure if I was doing it right because I started getting frustrated while rinsing out, saying to myself "It's not clarifying! My hair's too soft!!" I know that everytime I use a clarifying shampoo, my hair feels kind of dry afterward, so I'm saying to myself, this isn't right. So I do another baking soda rinse for the 3rd time, and I could tell all the build up was rinsed out but it was STILL so soft! After I rinsed out, I just diluted my CON shampoo in the big cup w/water, and poured over my head and rinsed. I didn't even put my moisturizing conditioner in my hair yet and I COULD NOT STOP playing with my hair, it's so soft and light!! Finally, I put the moisturizing conditioner in my hair, and I'm sitting under the dryer now. I got about 10-12 mins, and I cannot wait to feel my hair after rinsing out the conditioner. I'm gonna rollerset my hair today and see if there's a difference after the bs rinse. Thanks guys:yep:

sonce

I'm glad it works for you but when I used baking soda, my hair got so dry that it took days of conditioning to get it back. :(

PureSilver

Girl i believe you, something stranger happened to me, i remember doing a dc concotion and leaving it in my hair for one hr with other ingredients. I rinsed my hair after the DC and got all the softness and cleaness you experienced. What i didn't understand is that after blowdrying my hair i saw brown streaks in my hair which i haven't rinsed with any color for over a year. I knew it was the baking soda as all the other ingredients in the mix were oils

AsTheCurlzTurns

LOL I just did something similar last night. I put some BS in my hand mixed with some condish and co-washed my hair with that. Did this twice, and it feels so clean and soft. My props go to Pokahontas for giving up that tip. I love it!!!

new-life

Dang, you're making me wanna try it too. Are you relaxed? texlaxed? natural or transitioning?

I'm relaxed, although the top half of my hair is basically texlaxed because my stylist has been underprocessing my hair for the past few months. Try it girl, I don't think you would be disappointed. I was a little scared because of that one bad review, but I'm glad I tried it.

new-life

I'm glad it works for you but when I used baking soda, my hair got so dry that it took days of conditioning to get it back. :(

hey sonce, how did you do the bs rinse? Do you think it was the technique/method?:perplexed Because I think a lot of naturals tried this method with success before a lot of relaxed heads knew about it (at least before I knew about it).

EMJazzy

Happily retired
LOL I just did something similar last night. I put some BS in my hand mixed with some condish and co-washed my hair with that. Did this twice, and it feels so clean and soft. My props go to Pokahontas for giving up that tip. I love it!!!

Oh yeah? I'm gonna have to try that!! :sekret:

new-life

Girl i believe you, something stranger happened to me, i remember doing a dc concotion and leaving it in my hair for one hr with other ingredients. I rinsed my hair after the DC and got all the softness and cleaness you experienced. What i didn't understand is that after blowdrying my hair i saw brown streaks in my hair which i haven't rinsed with any color for over a year. I knew it was the baking soda as all the other ingredients in the mix were oils

I really thought I was tripping, I'm like "this is not how a clarifier is supposed to feel on my hair". Do you use the bs after the DC or mix it with the DC?
I really like this method of clarifying my hair. I don't think I'll be buying anymore clarifying shampoos after the ones I have are done. So many uses for BS it's amazing.

new-life

My sis just started the cowashing thing. Does adding the BS to your conditioner make your hair softer than when you don't add the BS to cowash?

AsTheCurlzTurns

My sis just started the cowashing thing. Does adding the BS to your conditioner make your hair softer than when you don't add the BS to cowash?

Previously, I was just doing a co-wash with just simple condish, my hair was ok with just that. But then a question arose on someone's post about making sure your hair was actually clean, hence the tip to add BS to your condish, and for me, that really made the difference in my hair and I could actually feel and tell my hair was actually clean, and the softness was just an added plus for me. My hair be soft without it, but with it, it's just even softer!

Angelicus

a very weak dilution of one teaspoon of baking soda to about a quart of water poured over my hair and scalp leaves my hair feeling so clean and wonderful. I know exactly what you mean about how you want to play in your hair all day...

Don't do it! It causes split ends... lol. But doesn't it feel so good. It makes my shampoos works so much better.

new-life

I gotta try this.

Shishipoopoo, I just bought the silk fusion repair oil recently because of your review on the rollersetting thread. I tried rollersetting with it last week but I think I was soo afraid of using too much that I actually used too little, and my hair came out dry looking after I blew out the roots and wrapped it. So I'm trying it again and this time I put a substantial amount all over my head and made sure every part was coated. I'm in my rollers right now, so I'm just waiting to see how it's going to come out. I hope it comes out nice.

new-life

a very weak dilution of one teaspoon of baking soda to about a quart of water poured over my hair and scalp leaves my hair feeling so clean and wonderful. I know exactly what you mean about how you want to play in your hair all day...

Don't do it! It causes split ends... lol. But doesn't it feel so good. It makes my shampoos works so much better.

I know! It really feels that good though, I literally had to tell myself "ok that's enough!":grin: because I could not get my hands out my hair and I was wasting so much time just playing with it. And I definitely don't need anymore split ends- that's for sure

Divine_Order

No problem Divine:yep:. Actually, I just put one small handful of BS to one large plastic cup of water. I didn't do any exact measurements.

Cool! I tried using baking soda to clarify earlier in the week, and well...I guess it turned out alright.:look: My ends were clean, but I didn't get to my scalp good enough. I'm going to try your method and do it three times in one wash. Hopefully my whole head wll be shy-nen! (shining :lachen:))

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I tried the bs mixed with my conditioner this morning (suave milk and honey)...1/2 cup of conditioner, 2 teaspoons of bs....my hair felt amazingly soft!!! :love: My wash n' go even looks curlier. :drunk:

Does anyone know if it's safe to cw using bs and conditioner daily? Would it be too drying? Or is this a process that should only be used once or twice a week? :confused:

sareca

It's been ages since I've clarified. I'm trying it today! I think I'll mix 1/2tsp of baking soda and 1 tbs of conditioner with 16oz of water.

I'll let you know how it goes...

ETA: My hair feels very clean, but not rough or breaking like it does with traditional clarifiers. :up:

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I tried the bs mixed with my conditioner this morning (suave milk and honey)...1/2 cup of conditioner, 2 teaspoons of bs....my hair felt amazingly soft!!! :love: My wash n' go even looks curlier. :drunk:

Does anyone know if it's safe to cw using bs and conditioner daily? Would it be too drying? Or is this a process that should only be used once or twice a week? :confused:
I wouldn't do it daily. Once a week at most.

I feel so heavy handed reading how you guys use 1 and 2 teaspoons.....I use like 2 handfulls!:lachen: My hair comes out great though, but I know I don't need that much. Maybe I'll cut back to one handfull, lol.

tbaby_8

Can someone with fine, soft and color treated hair do this? I just don't want to dry my hair out anymore than it already is because of the color. Let me know:grin:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!

I am sorry but this line is hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know what you meant though :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

JustKiya

Can someone with fine, soft and color treated hair do this? I just don't want to dry my hair out anymore than it already is because of the color. Let me know:grin:

I did it when I still had color in my hair - it didn't complain any more than my virgin hair did....

:lachen: I feel all lighthanded with it - I use MAYBE a teaspoon of BS - but then, I'm super paranoid about drying my hair out. Sometimes I'll mix it with my conditioner, but I usually leave that on my head so long I'm nervous about it. Usually, I just mix it with some water, and 'work' it into my hair.

I actually haven't done that in a while....... I might need to get on that this weekend....

Sunshine0801

I clarify once a month with baking soda and water. It is the best clarifier for my hair, and leaves it clean without feeling stripped. :yep: I just use one tablespoon of BS and one cup of water, mix, and pour it over my head. I then massage it in gently for a minute or two and rinse. I don't even feel the need to shampoo anymore.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I wouldn't do it daily. Once a week at most.

I feel so heavy handed reading how you guys use 1 and 2 teaspoons.....I use like 2 handfulls!:lachen: My hair comes out great though, but I know I don't need that much. Maybe I'll cut back to one handfull, lol.

Thank you Pokahontas!! :grin:

Two handfuls?!?!?!

lisana

i have been having the hardest time with major tangles lately and nothing was working...it's been so bad that they are almost like dreads in my hair and my hair just felted coated. Last night I washed with baking soda and rinsed with acv and my hair was so easy to detangle! I used a ton of baking soda...half a box and kept mixing a handful in two cups of water, pouring it on my head, washing, rinsing, repeat. After I used the acv, I decide to try my shikaikai bar, HUGE mistake, that bar is awful to use right after clarifying, my hair felt coated and icky, so I had to was again with BS, acv, porosity control and finally ORS Pak. My hair felt so amazing. I was even able to braid my hair afterwards with no tangles and airdry overnight. I got up this morning and my hair is laying down so nicely and tomorrow I will be 12 WEEKS POST RELAXER! It's amazing because this was much better than any store bought clarifier or detangler. This is going to be part of my new regimen :yep::yep:

Empress Yahudah

Im truely gonna try this on friday. :yep:
I hate how stripped my hair feels after clarifying

I think im going to go with 1tsp BS, 1c water, and some conditioner