OMG, Yall was not playing about the baking soda!

HighlyFavored1

I missed all the threads about baking soda before. But this reminds me...I went to an Indian store to get some Shikakai powder a week ago. I could only find Aritha powder. I kept trying to ask the cashier to show me if they had Shikakai powder, or any other powder to cleanse my hair. She kept taking me to baking soda...I definitely did not want to put that in my hair, and I thought this was a language barrier thing and she just didnt know what type of powder I wanted :rolleyes:

The baking soda was on a shelf right next to the hair products.

SunnyDelight

:grin::grin::grin: I'm stealing the title:grin::grin::grin:

OMG, Ya'll was not playing about the baking soda!! What on earth took me so long to try it.

I thought I'd stolen somebody else's hair - my hair was so unbelieveably soft I couldn't believe it.

No joking ladies. Don't sleep on baking soda washes.

God's Anointed

Ya'll gonna make me run to my hair closet and try this when I wash my hair! Anyway, do you guys think that instead of using a clarifying poo after a henna treatment, I can just substitute this? Has anyone else try this?

JustKiya

Ya'll gonna make me run to my hair closet and try this when I wash my hair! Anyway, do you guys think that instead of using a clarifying poo after a henna treatment, I can just substitute this? Has anyone else try this?

I usually clarify before I henna, but I've done it in that order with no problems. I would be a tiny bit concerned about possibly overdrying (I think henna cleans my hair enough), but otherwise - go for it!

God's Anointed

I usually clarify before I henna, but I've done it in that order with no problems. I would be a tiny bit concerned about possibly overdrying (I think henna cleans my hair enough), but otherwise - go for it!

I thought henna was used to color, condition, and strengthen the hair! Not cleans it. So what does it mean when I'm rinsing out the henna and it's like I'm rinsing a dye out of my hair? Don't I need to clarify to get rid of the "color" coming out while I rinse after henna?

JustKiya

I thought henna was used to color, condition, and strengthen the hair! Not cleans it. So what does it mean when I'm rinsing out the henna and it's like I'm rinsing a dye out of my hair? Don't I need to clarify to get rid of the "color" coming out while I rinse after henna?

If color is still coming out after henna, there is still a little henna in your hair, I think.....I rinse til the water runs clear.

Mind, I don't use shampoo, I don't use cones, I don't use mineral oil, I dont use many non-water soluable products period, I use conditioner in my henna, and I leave it in for at least 12 hours. So - the combination of all that means that the henna leaves my hair clean once I rinse everything out of it - I don't have to clean my hair, anymore.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Thank you Pokahontas!! :grin:

Two handfuls?!?!?!

:grin:Yeah I know. Did I forget to mention I'm super heavy handed:lachen:. My hair never felt stripped though so that is good.

Empress Yahudah

Im truely gonna try this on friday. :yep:
I hate how stripped my hair feels after clarifying

I think im going to go with 1tsp BS, 1c water, and some conditioner

Well I tried this and all I can say is WOW:drunk:
My scalp/hair was so clean, hair was soft, silky, and tangle-free:grin:
My hair has never felt like this from washing. I dont think I'll be using shampoo any more unless there is one out there that will make my hair feel exactly like this or better. Even with CON(green) I still get some tangles.

AsTheCurlzTurns

I am sorry but this line is hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know what you meant though :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

OMG!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:Girl please, i had to think for a minute what you meant, and it finally dawned on me LOL:lachen::lachen::lachen:
Good one though, and for everyone else's enjoyment it's BAKING SODA not no BROWNS *i'm sitting here laughing so hard at my own darn post!*

BobbieDoll

I tried this for the first time this weekend and I am really happy that I did. Usually after I wash I can still see flakes when I start to blow dry but not this time. I always thought that I just had a really dry scalp and there was nothing that I could to do change it. It did dry my hair out a little but not too much but I think that's because I used too much baking soda. This is definately a keeper for me. I plan on doing it at least once a month.

luvmesumhair

OK I tried it this weekend and I must say that I am truly amazed! My hair really felt soft, smelled fresh and felt clean! I did not even shampoo afterwards. Thats how clean my hair felt. I then deep conditioned and my hair felt different after that too (making me realized that It took a lot of the residue off of my hair so that the conditoner could really penetrate) then I put a conditoner to soften my hair aid WOW. Big difference!

Question: Can this take the place of a shampoo? Can I wash with this once a week?

lovelychar

i have been having the hardest time with major tangles lately and nothing was working...it's been so bad that they are almost like dreads in my hair and my hair just felted coated. Last night I washed with baking soda and rinsed with acv and my hair was so easy to detangle! I used a ton of baking soda...half a box and kept mixing a handful in two cups of water, pouring it on my head, washing, rinsing, repeat. After I used the acv, I decide to try my shikaikai bar, HUGE mistake, that bar is awful to use right after clarifying, my hair felt coated and icky, so I had to was again with BS, acv, porosity control and finally ORS Pak. My hair felt so amazing. I was even able to braid my hair afterwards with no tangles and airdry overnight. I got up this morning and my hair is laying down so nicely and tomorrow I will be 12 WEEKS POST RELAXER! It's amazing because this was much better than any store bought clarifier or detangler. This is going to be part of my new regimen :yep::yep:

OMG Lisana I've been experiencing the same thing. I have a serious porosity issues going on with my hair that mere water to it will make it tangle like crazzy and develop several little dred lock ends along my shafts. I was supposed to do a protein treatment yesterday in hopes to correct this, but prep for super bowl amongst other things permitted me not to. So its co washing all week again until I can do it this Sunday. And I think I may want to try this. My original regimen wouls have consisted of my Ayurveda oil mixture pre poo over night, moisture poo in the morning, Aphogee treatment and deep condition with Silk Elements and Moitions moisture plus. Now I want to incorporate the BS into my protein regimen with doing the BS instead of moisture poo to help absorb the treatment more.

Do you guys think doing that will defeat the pupose of the Ayurveda oil prepoo?

I want to do the ACV as well but honestly never got quite where to put this at in the regimen. I know that ACV rinces helps seal the cuticles and would assume this to be a final rinse as appose to one before conditioning because it may repel proper penetration of the conditioner. But would a final rinse of ACV on my hair make it hard and smell funny?

luvmesumhair

OK I tried it this weekend and I must say that I am truly amazed! My hair really felt soft, smelled fresh and felt clean! I did not even shampoo afterwards. Thats how clean my hair felt. I then deep conditioned and my hair felt different after that too (making me realized that It took a lot of the residue off of my hair so that the conditoner could really penetrate) then I put a conditoner to soften my hair aid WOW. Big difference!

Question: Can this take the place of a shampoo? Can I wash with this once a week?
Bumping ladies!!!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I have got to try this. I bought the baking soda about 2 months ago and I still haven't used it except to brush my teeth.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
OMG Lisana I've been experiencing the same thing. I have a serious porosity issues going on with my hair that mere water to it will make it tangle like crazzy and develop several little dred lock ends along my shafts. I was supposed to do a protein treatment yesterday in hopes to correct this, but prep for super bowl amongst other things permitted me not to. So its co washing all week again until I can do it this Sunday. And I think I may want to try this. My original regimen wouls have consisted of my Ayurveda oil mixture pre poo over night, moisture poo in the morning, Aphogee treatment and deep condition with Silk Elements and Moitions moisture plus. Now I want to incorporate the BS into my protein regimen with doing the BS instead of moisture poo to help absorb the treatment more.

I want to do the ACV as well but honestly never got quite where to put this at in the regimen. I know that ACV rinces helps seal the cuticles and would assume this to be a final rinse as appose to one before conditioning because it may repel proper penetration of the conditioner. But would a final rinse of ACV on my hair make it hard and smell funny?

ACV is for clarifying and you would fit this in your regimen the same as baking soda (before shampooing and conditioning). It dosen't have any odor when used this way.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

Yes you can. Once a week would not be too much......I just wouldn't do it everyday ya know.

Here's a pretty informative thread guys .....http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=136891

SleekandBouncy

I love LHCF! I am going to try this tonight! My hair has some of the same issues you mention.

BermudaKISS

I just did a BS rinse today.........I diluted BS with some water in a measuring cup and poured this over my head....rubbing my scalp with my fingertips then dip my ends in the cup and just squeezed them (no rubbing them together) and rinsed. I did this twice and then mixed some BS in with my conditioner (HE LTR) and did it one more time. Then did a quick rinse with diluted shampoo (Design Essentials Moisture Retention Conditioning Shampoo) and now DC with Dark N Lovely Dry Hair Healer/EVOO/EVCO.

I could definitely feel a difference in my hair....felt clean...but i still have a slight itch at the nape. I will have to make sure to leave the BS rinse in a bit longer and rub my scalp a bit more.

All in all feels reaaaaal good :)

Tee

After I did my first baking soda rinse, I knew I could go the 'no poo' route. It made my hair feel amazing. I still use shampoo because I have so much of it. (Even after giving some away) But the baking soda rinse is amazing!

TemiLnd

BS is my new best friend. I read about it here weeks ago and finally bought some. I use it on my face and legs (dry & eczema). I will be using it to clarify my hair in Dec. Can't wait!!!!

The Princess

WOW sounds good. Most clarifying experiences I head about, leaves hair dry and stripped. One of the reason I never did it.