On Making Your Own Hair and Body Products....

melodies815

For those of us who make our own products at home, are any of us willing to put our recipes in a thread?

Maybe one day it might be a sticky, but until then, I'll share what I do and what some people are actually starting to ask me to make for them.

I like shea and cocoa butters more than any other butters, and I also like aloe vera gel, peppermint, Amla oil, EVOO, honey, grapeseed oil and vitamin E and a no-cone conditioner.

I actually mix all of these together in varying amounts, using more butters than oils (no real science to it yet) and it hardens well. What I like it that it emulsifies better than just pure shea or cocoa, and it goes into my hair and onto my body so well.

My skin looks golden even though I am a deep brown, and I only started getting compliments after making this mix.

I use it on skin and on my hair. Both benefit.

Regimen:

* Melt down shea butter and cocoa butters in glass containers in water on the stove in water.
* As they melt into oil-like status, I pour into a larger container so all the butters are in one, large, glass bowl.
* Once all the butters are melted, I add EVOO (extra virgin olve oil), aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, peppermint oil, ylang ylang essential oil for scent, a few drops of honey, wheatgerm oil, castor oil, Amla oil, tea tree and castor oils and call it a day.
* I use my blender on low and gradually take it to the highest setting over a 10 minute period of time and then sit it in the regrigerator for 10 minutes.
* After 10 minutes I take it out and blend again on a low to medium setting for about 5 minutes. I do this because, as it sets and hardens, I want everything to be evenly distributed throughout the butter mix.
* After another 10 minutes I take it out of the refrigerator again. This time, the mix is very thick yet still easy to blend. The different ingredients do not separate and it hardens into a nice butter.

FYI....if you want a really nice softness to it, let it harden all the way and then melt it again and mix it again. It takes a total of about 6-7 hours for a butter mix that has lasted me 5 months.

Not bad for a few hours' work.

Tonight, I made 3 different mixes for a friend who needed one for skin, one for hair growth (added a tiny bit of sulfur and something else that escapes my mind because it's so late right now. I will edit to add when I am not sleepy. :spinning:) and one for babies' skin and hair (without the peppermint). It's really good stuff.

Anyone else want to share?

I'm not trying to make abusiness out of it, so maybe that's why I am so free with the info. Plus...the internet makes everythign so readily accessible anyway.

Any other home product makers want to share their recipes?

(Ima a thread killer/slower, so maybe no one will respond at all. :ohwell:)

Hoping for responses....

cj

mstar

Luxury bacon
That sounds awesome, thanks for sharing. So you blend twice and refrigerate twice, right? And you're saying that for a softer mix, you repeat all of the steps again after it's hardened?

vkb247

I think most of the recipes are in the Natural Living forum. I have posted a few recipes there. I like to make my own products because I like mixing but I haven't managed to be consistent with it.

Austro-Afrikana

I make a blend of 100g cocoa butter, 100g shea butter, 100ml coconut oil and vitamin e oil the way you do; melt, blend, refrigerate, blend, refrigerate, blend. I only use it on my skin though. I haven't tried it on my hair.