Once Saved, Always Saved- Yes Or No

whosthatgurl

here.... but i'm not here
1 John 5:16-17 states that: "If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that. All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death."

A sin that "leads to death" is a mortal sin. Mortal sin is a grave or serious offense against God's Law. It destroys grace in the soul and places you in a state of separateness or disconnection from God (because God is all-good and all-holy, thus we cannot abide in Him or be close to Him if we are in a state of sin).

Mortal sin is basically spiritual death, and if one dies in such a state, he/she goes to Hell. With that said, God is always waiting for us to repent (hence why we believe in the Sacrament of Penance aka Confession). God is always willing to forgive us our sins and restore us to a state of sanctifying grace, but repentance cannot be done after death. So up until your last breath, you always have the opportunity to repent and receive God's forgiveness and grace. So, I will agree with @momi in the sense that we cannot be taken away from God or separated from Him if we are truly seeking Him and repentance. WE may fail, because we are weak, but God will not fail us. However, God will not force us to go to Heaven, and He will not force His grace on us. We must accept it and cooperate with Him. This is why Christians talk about having a "relationship" with God, with Jesus Christ, because we acknowledge that He is the "Lover" and we are the "Beloved," and He seeks for us to love Him and say "Yes" to Him.
Thank you!

NICOLETHENUMBERONE

I don't believe so because the bible talks about being blotted out of the book of life.

(Ex. Ex. 32:32-33; Ps. Ps. 69:28; Rev. Rev. 3:5+; Rev. 22:19+)

Also in Ezekiel 3, the scripture talks about a man's former righteous actions.

20 “Again, when a righteous person turnsAG
)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-20523AG"> from their righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling blockAH)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-20523AH"> before them, they will die. Since you did not warn them, they will die for their sin. The righteous things that person did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for their blood.AI)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-20523AI"> 21 But if you do warn the righteous person not to sin and they do not sin, they will surely live because they took warning, and you will have saved yourself.

Now I know that many will come and say that we are not saved by works but grace through faith and I understand that, but I believe it gives a reference point to how God views sin.

I don't believe that a person can be a pastor and then start being a pimp, murdering, raping and injecting heroin and still consider himself saved. How can he inherit what God has for him doing things completely contrary to God's nature?
I even read a testimony from Bishop Greg Bloomer who states that he was injecting heroin before or after a sermon and the HS spoke to him and said (paraphrasing) "You can preach to all these people and they will be saved and you will go to hell." People love to talk about grace but how can we abound in sin simply because we know God is graciousness. You don't want to abuse his grace but simply try to lean on God to be the best possible.

Iwanthealthyhair67

I see that the idea of once saved only saved can only be supported
the idea that those who backslide or leave the faith were never "saved" in the first place. I'm not sure if I agree with that. There are many examples in the bible where those who were lost relented and were saved and those who stared out with God lost their way. Why would these cautionary stories be presented if one was not able to alter their fate?

Ita, David is a good example, he slept with another mans wife and killed him, yet he was a man after God own heart. We can't say that he was never saved, its clear that he backslid several times yet reconciled with God.