One Hair Regimen Focus - Other Self Improvements

ilong

God's Own
I just realized how much I watch and manipulate my hair. I contemplate jumping on every product, growth aid, technique and/or regimen posted on hair forums and that in itself is not wise or sustainable (for my hair or financially). Since discovering the various hair forums I have purchased an incredible amount of hair care products - so many that I still have 3 boxes (office file size boxes):whipped:I thought how crazy is this!!!

If I had miraculously retained length and had gorgeous hair like so many MBL, WL members I wouldn't care if I had 30 boxes of product:yep: :lick: - but as it is I am nowhere near those lengths.

So, my plan is to focus on one product regimen with one set of products for 6 months then switch products ONLY if I encounter a problem with the products I am using or after 6 months. I will continue to baggy, massage, moisturize, etc. - but I will absolutely refrain from buying the NEWEST conditioner, shampoo, growth aid, vitamin, etc. I plan to donate my EXTRA stash to a woman's shelter or home for young girls.

I will only access the hair forums once every two weeks as opposed to every day (to prevent me from diverting). This is going to be the most difficult part:sad:

Lastly, while properly managing my hair ( moisturize, condition,seal baggy, protein, take oral growth aids, etc.) I am going to focus on another Self Improvement (SI) area. Actually I plan to focus on two SI areas - skin and weight.

I picked up some XXXXXXtra pounds over the last year that I need to get rid of and I slacked off on my skin care regimen during the same time. So I will focus on those two areas instead of "watching my hair grow".

Hopefully, July 2014 I'll be swinging my MBL hair against some silky smooth skin on top of a size 6 body. :yep::grin::lachen:

I'll use the money I save NOT buying so many hair products to buy my new 2014 SWAG outfit. :grin:

Going to check out the skin care and health, exercies, diet threads now!

Onhergrind09

ilong, as a self-identifyied PJ I know exactly how you feel. My advice to you would be to evaluate the products that you have and figure out which ones are your superstars and then either figure out a way to use up the rest or give them away. I personally started using a spritz as a moisturizer in order to use up all my excess leave-ins. In case you do backtrack and purchase more products, I'd only purchase from places that accept returns. There is no reason to keep a product that dos nothing for you. If you buy something new, do it one at a time, try it a few times and figure out if it works for you, if not back to the store it goes, along with that cash back in your wallet. Additionally, I'd suggest as with anything, hair, physique, skin, whatever, just keep it simple. You'd be amazed at your bodys ability to operate fantastically when you give it just what it needs and nothing more. Good luck on figuring out what works for you :).

Angelinhell

Funny you made this thread. I was thinking of starting a challenge on here for sticking to one product line and regimen for next year. I just wasn't too sure of how it would work out here. So I'm just doing a personal challenge.

BadMamaJama

ilong, you made some great points. I buy things that work, but I always want to buy more. When it comes to conditioners, girl, they are my crack! I've gained some weight too and I've been working on working on losing weight (see what I did there). If I were to shift my focus from hair to weight, I could lose the weight I need to. My goal is to lose weight by the end of the year. I'm also going to make sure I have 2 bottles of what I need and that's it. No more buying anything new. Great post! I am totally with you girl!

lamaria211

Good for you OP ive been on a personal nobuy challenge for a few weeks now because my stash has become overwhelming im sure I have at least 3yrs worth of products. But I only open like one or two things at a time so when im ready for something new I dont have to go buy it cause I have plenty new stuff! Not buying products you dont need gives you freedom enjoy!!!

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I realized this over the weekend. I first joined the hair boards in 2007 with a pretty good regimen. (I was using Ultra Black Hair products). I saw so many APL, BSL, to WL heads of hair and very quickly I collected so many products. I was always buying the "it" product that was trending....and my hair has reached APL once before I BC. With all my products - I could used that $250 and spent it on a Pibbs Kwik Dry 514. Smh. My regimen wasn't broke, I had to fix it. But I'm going back. Starting over w/ Day 1

ladysaraii

I've been doing this over the past few months, especially since I'm trying to only use natural products. I got rid of some of my hair products and I worked on finding a simple regimen and I think I've finally found it.

Good luck, OP

Ogoma

Funny you made this thread. I was thinking of starting a challenge on here for sticking to one product line and regimen for next year. I just wasn't too sure of how it would work out here. So I'm just doing a personal challenge.

If you start a challenge for next year, I will join. I want to stick to one set of products for a while, but I have a few things to use up in the next few months first. The regimen will be harder for me because I will need to have a regular regimen and a swimming one. I haven't been in the pool much since I have been natural and I want to get back to swimming regularly. I will definitely join a one set of products and two regular regimen (with diversions as needed) challenge.

Ogoma

Totally agree with your post. I am slowly making my way to where you are. I am no longer interested in buying the latest and greatest product. I have found staples in most areas, but still searching for a leave-in and moisturizer. Once I have this on lock, I am good to go.

ilong

God's Own
@ilong, as a self-identifyied PJ I know exactly how you feel. My advice to you would be to evaluate the products that you have and figure out which ones are your superstars and then either figure out a way to use up the rest or give them away. I personally started using a spritz as a moisturizer in order to use up all my excess leave-ins. In case you do backtrack and purchase more products, I'd only purchase from places that accept returns. There is no reason to keep a product that dos nothing for you. If you buy something new, do it one at a time, try it a few times and figure out if it works for you, if not back to the store it goes, along with that cash back in your wallet. Additionally, I'd suggest as with anything, hair, physique, skin, whatever, just keep it simple. You'd be amazed at your bodys ability to operate fantastically when you give it just what it needs and nothing more. Good luck on figuring out what works for you :).

Onhergrin09 - thank you. You re-iterated my plan and summarized My plan is already in motion. The extra goodies are in the vehicle - ready for delivery. :yep:

ilong

God's Own

OMG Angel - I considered the same and had the same concern. Ultimately, because I want to sincerely focus on my other SI areas - I would not have time to effectively facilitate a challenge and that would not be fair to anyone who joined .

ilong

God's Own
@ilong, you made some great points. I buy things that work, but I always want to buy more. When it comes to conditioners, girl, they are my crack! I've gained some weight too and I've been working on working on losing weight (see what I did there). If I were to shift my focus from hair to weight, I could lose the weight I need to. My goal is to lose weight by the end of the year. I'm also going to make sure I have 2 bottles of what I need and that's it. No more buying anything new. Great post! I am totally with you girl!

Come on over with me to the 30 day Progress Challenge in Health/Fitness. I am gearing up for the August segment!!! WE can be challenge buddies. :grin:

ilong

God's Own
OP, could you describe your hair regimen in detail?

Just took out a sew-in - after it transformed into a mop during a business trip in Florida:ohwell:

My base regimen:

Moisturize with water - (every morning and night)
Condition
Apply MTG (on alternate days MTG/MN)
Seal (Castor Oil, Cocunut Oil, EVOO)
Baggy EVERY NIGHT

Deep Condition after removing sew in or braids.
Shampooing depends on what style I'm wearing

ilong

God's Own
Good for you OP ive been on a personal nobuy challenge for a few weeks now because my stash has become overwhelming im sure I have at least 3yrs worth of products. But I only open like one or two things at a time so when im ready for something new I dont have to go buy it cause I have plenty new stuff! Not buying products you dont need gives you freedom enjoy!!!

Every time I free myself from "bondage" :lachen: in any area (smoking [quit over 25 years ago], clothes shopping, purchases for my business, etc) I re-allocate those funds to a self improvement area or increase my savings portfolio. Donating my stash to charitable organizations not only is helping others but it is also a tax write-off and tax savings for me.

ilong

God's Own
I realized this over the weekend. I first joined the hair boards in 2007 with a pretty good regimen. (I was using Ultra Black Hair products). I saw so many APL, BSL, to WL heads of hair and very quickly I collected so many products. I was always buying the "it" product that was trending....and my hair has reached APL once before I BC. With all my products - I could used that $250 and spent it on a Pibbs Kwik Dry 514. Smh. My regimen wasn't broke, I had to fix it. But I'm going back. Starting over w/ Day 1

I've been doing this over the past few months, especially since I'm trying to only use natural products. I got rid of some of my hair products and I worked on finding a simple regimen and I think I've finally found it.

Good luck, OP

Good luck to you both on finalizing the "simple for you only" regimen. Bublin posted the link to a Stick to One regimen challenge. I bumped the thread so it will be accessible for viewing.

Evolving78

i have found what work, but the PJ in me still likes to try other things. now i know what to stay away from vs just trying things for the sake of it. i did just buy some Scurl recently. it isn't a bad product, but it is something i can't really use right now.

that is the key. we need to get down to the bottom of what ingredients/process works for our hair.

ilong

God's Own
If you start a challenge for next year, I will join. I want to stick to one set of products for a while, but I have a few things to use up in the next few months first. The regimen will be harder for me because I will need to have a regular regimen and a swimming one. I haven't been in the pool much since I have been natural and I want to get back to swimming regularly. I will definitely join a one set of products and two regular regimen (with diversions as needed) challenge.

Ogoma - there is already a challenge for this topic. (I didn't know it existed) Check out the thread "Stick to One Regimen" . Bublin was kind enough to locate it and post it in this thread. I bumped it so it should be on this page. HTH

ilong

God's Own
i have found what work, but the PJ in me still likes to try other things. now i know what to stay away from vs just trying things for the sake of it. i did just buy some Scurl recently. it isn't a bad product, but it is something i can't really use right now.

that is the key. we need to get down to the bottom of what ingredients/process works for our hair.

If it works don't fix it. Use those $ to buy something you ALWAYS wanted, put it in a christmas shopping fund, a savings account or buy some stock.
Work towards making yourself financially healthy instead of the hair product manufacturers. With pricing on some of these hair products you could buy at least 1 share of stock with some company - maybe even 2.

Now that would be a GREAT challenge - save $1000 in 12 months by not buying any UNNECESSARY hair products, buying ON SALE or using coupons only. EAch of us would see the till of our labor.:yep:

Last edited: