One side of your hair always THICKER and GROWS FASTER all your life? What do you do

venusfly

Hi Ladies,

I cut my hair a lot. That's partly because I hate split ends, I looooove thick razor sharp ends and the look of blunt cut hair. BUT more importantly and annoyingly I CUT MY HAIR BECAUSE ONE SIDE OF MY HAIR GROWS FASTER AND IS THICKER which makes my hair look unbalanced when styled. It's been this way all my life, and I sometimes cut when the ends don't NEED trimmng - JUST to try to make my hair look EVEN on both sides of my head. Does this happen to anyone else? How do you handle it? TIA!

Last edited:

LdyKamz

Re: One side of your hair always THICKER and GROWS FASTER all your life? What do you

Yes! I have this problem. And I've posted threads about it. I thought maybe I could do something to fix it. LIke wearing my scarf differently, sleeping on a different side maybe. But those things don't seem to be working. Seems that my hair just grows slower on one side. When I part my hair on the side and wear it down I can really tell the difference. I guess I'm not much help. But I do know what you're going through. Are you relaxed or natural? Just curious.

nickpoopie

Re: One side of your hair always THICKER and GROWS FASTER all your life? What do you

I have the same issue. My right side has always grown longer but my left side has always been thicker. I don't worry about it anymore but when I go to the salon the stylist always points it out and even when she cuts it even about 3 months later its longer again.

Kiadodie

Yup, my left side is thicker and grows faster. As I get older, my right side is getting thinner and even my hairline is different. :ohwell: I don't think there is anything you can do about it tho.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess

This happens to me depending on which side I sleep on. I just trim it even or leave it alone. I try not to worry about it.

venusfly

KammyGirl, my hair is relaxed.

I end up cutting when the hair ends are not split or in need of a triim and my hairstyle looks unbalanced with one side alwasys looking ticker/fuller. But for this I would retain more gowth and my hair goals would be reached much faster. Grrrrrrrrrrr...

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL

I'm with you! When I was still relaxed, I thought I had residual damage from always wrapping my hair before bed; and always in the same direction. I've been natural for 6 years and I have the same issue. :lol: I had to stop worrying about it because one side will always be thicker than the other.

ScorpioRising

Professional Lurker

When I was relaxed I used to exclusively style my hair in side parts or side swoops because of this, no one ever noticed but my stylist

rririla

I am the same way...my right side is curlier and thicker and grows much slower than the left side....I also don't think there is much that can be done about it. I used to cut my hair to even it out as well but now I just leave it alone because the left side still manages to grow past the right side no matter what I do. I feel your pain sista':bighug:

Dee Raven

Yep, it happens to me. I think it has something to do with how you sleep. But I also have part of my hair that grows way faster than the rest. And I think that I have a part that grows slower as well. I either cut it or let it grow out in the shape that it's in. Except for the fact that one sides a bit thinner than the other, the patches that grow faster or slower are symmetrical on my head so it doesn't pose too much of a problem.

Precious_P

I have the same issue. The texture on the right side of my hair is slightly different than the left side, so the left side is always longer, stronger and easier to work with. My 2 year old has the same pattern. I have a totally different thing going at the crown of my head also. I don't think it has to do with sleep but, rather it is the difference in hair follicles passed down from our parents.

yorkpatties

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened to everyone, it just may be more noticeable on some of us.

I sleep on my back. My right side has always been thicker with a looser curl. If I want an even look, I will always be trying to match the length with the shorter left side, but my left side will never look as thick as the right. :spinning: It is what it is.

LovLeeLaDee

It feels good to know I'm not alone! Thought my scalp had issues, my right side is slightly looser and longer. I've tried trimming so lefty could catch up, but once i saw it was genetic through my daughters, I decided I'd just leave it longer, there's only about an inch or two difference and right now I'm on my grow down! So as long as my ends are strong and healthy, I don't look at the unevenness. You can see it in my avi, loud n proud! lol it's all a preference really, if you want straight, blunt ends keep trimming. I just couldn't keep wasting my growth lol

LovLeeLaDee

LovLeeLaDee said:
It feels good to know I'm not alone! Thought my scalp had issues, my right side is slightly looser and longer. I've tried trimming so lefty could catch up, but once i saw it was genetic through my daughters, I decided I'd just leave it longer, there's only about an inch or two difference and right now I'm on my grow down! So as long as my ends are strong and healthy, I don't look at the unevenness. You can see it in my avi, loud n proud! lol it's all a preference really, if you want straight, blunt ends keep trimming. I just couldn't keep wasting my growth lol

ETA: my lefty is also my more dense side, so it's a gift n a curse. When I wear my natural hair straightened, I just part on the right side so it looks like my left is just layered. lol tricks in the hair game!

venusfly

funny enough, it's my left side thats thicker and grows faster too! Maybe it is something bilogical. Seems a lot of us are saying the left side!:shocked: