One year into my transition *pics*

Victoria44

One year into my transition *texture shots, semi-length check pics*

i've officially made a year! :grin: i can finally say i've reached a point where i know exactly how much moisture/protein my hair needs, and my hair is THRIVING! its soooo relieving. Thinking back to the beginning of my transition i still had a lot of bad hair practices like constant flat ironing, with NO heat protectant, and weekly blow drying on high heat, without moisturizing properly :nono: but now i know exactly what my hair needs :)

hopefully the pictures show *crosses fingers* i know a lot of people have trouble uploading pics

1st attachment : my last relaxer was on the friday after thanksgiving of 2009, so i'm finally a YEAR into my transition. Hopefully by next thanksgiving my natural hair will be double this length, and i'll be comfortable cutting off the relaxed ends

2nd attachment: I'm trying to grow my hair to at least my arm pit length, though i still trim my ends VERY SLIGHTLY every two -three weeks

3rd attachment: a shot of a different texture. my hair is 4a/b .. it curls around the edges, and has a wiry texture in the middle with no visible pattern

4th attachment: i think the top of my hair is "heat-trained" or slightly damaged from heat. i have accidentally stretched out my hair by flat ironing it so much over the summer, without heat protectant, OR deep conditioning. Its not completely straight but it definitely doesn't revert all the way back like the rest of my hair does. I deep condition weekly and it may just be my imagination but I THINK its slowly starting to revert, i LOVE when my hair shrinks. I have a no direct heat regimen as of now.

5th attachment: after washing/conditioning/applying leave-in i seperate into 12 large twist, and let my hair air dry til about 80% dry. Then i blow dry on cool, re-twist, and head to bed!

hope you enjoy, and i'd love tips and suggestions for the rest of my transition :)

Attachments

• hair transition.jpg
    hair transition.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 307
  • stretched.jpg
    stretched.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 277
  • different patter.jpg
    different patter.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 287
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 261
  • plaits.jpg
    plaits.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

MegB29203

I think our hair is very similar. Congrats on your progress! I'm transitioning too so I hope I get as much progress in a year as you have.

ellebelle88

Victoria, you look familiar. Are you from SC? Also, you have such great growth. I'm 8 months into my transition. It seems like its taking foooorever to get to the year mark. How do you wear your hair since you are transitioning?

Ijanei

I love ur natural hair texture. congrats on making one year in your transition. I'm 6 months in and counting

Victoria44

I think our hair is very similar. Congrats on your progress! I'm transitioning too so I hope I get as much progress in a year as you have.

thank you :) i seen your fotki, your hair is beautiful

Congrats! Our last relaxer was on the exact same day :)
thank you! i hope your enjoying the journey just as much as i am

Victoria, you look familiar. Are you from SC? Also, you have such great growth. I'm 8 months into my transition. It seems like its taking foooorever to get to the year mark. How do you wear your hair since you are transitioning?

No, i'm from NY, and the time definitely does inch along! At the beginning of the transition i always tried to wear it straight. Now i wear it in medium sized box braids for the winter, and when i'm giving my hair a break from braids i bun my hair under a beret hat, with two braids in the front, i love that style (even though i've been called a grandma once or twice). I posted a picture to show it, but you cant see the beret much. I also have attempted twist outs, (only for special occasions since i'm trying to keep my ends hidden) i posted a picture of that as well. :)

I love ur natural hair texture. congrats on making one year in your transition. I'm 6 months in and counting

HAPPY SIX MONTHS! it only gets better

My heroine!

aw thank you! your hair is gorgeous as well <3

Attachments

• IMG00030-20101025-1224.jpg
    IMG00030-20101025-1224.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 91
  • failed twist out.jpg
    failed twist out.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 86
  • braids.jpg
    braids.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Pompous Blue

Your transition seems to be going along perfectly. Your hair is so pretty. Keep doing everything you're doing 'cause it's working for you.

Congratulations on being 1-yr closer to your goals.

Mandy4610

You are a champ for sticking it out so long and making a commitment to learn what your hair likes.
Your natural texture is beautiful, looks very thick and healthy.

Congrats

Janet'

Aww, :congrats: your hair looks lovely! I was a long term transitioner myself...Everybody ain't able :lachen: Good for you!

BERlin

Your hair looks healthy and shiny. :) Congrats on your one year mark, I collapsed and chopped shortly after six months... I think you have a nice texture.

lolascurls

Congrats :yay: my hair is also 12 months post now! (Nov 27th was my 1 year mark)!
Good luck on the rest of the transition. I plan to go for 2 yrs by God's grace!

kandake

I love to see transitioning pics. Congratulations. It looks like your transition is going quite well. Almost makes me want to go for it. I'm about 3 1/2 months post in my relaxer stretch right now, striving for 6 months. I think I'll re-evaluate at the 6 month mark.

Last edited:

smwrigh3

Congrats girl!!!!! I am 16months post and I am going until 24.... I am not comfortable cutting my hair off at this point! Really because of my wig challenge the whole thing has become a breeze! lol

Victoria44

I love to see transitioning pics. Congratulations. It looks like your transition is going quite well. Almost makes me want to go for it. I'm about 3 1/2 months post in my relaxer stretch right now, striving for 6 months. I think I'll re-evaluate at the 6 month mark.

i hope you decide to :) once you truly commit to growing out a relaxer its so enjoyable and informative

Congrats girl!!!!! I am 16months post and I am going until 24.... I am not comfortable cutting my hair off at this point! Really because of my wig challenge the whole thing has become a breeze! lol

i plan on a two year transition as well, but i've experienced with short hairstyles and i might just chop at a year and a half instead