Onion Skins Y'all.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Guys. Listen.

I'm not into creating hype, but I feel confident sharing this now. For the last 3 months I have been experimenting with onion skins and I can now say, it is FANTASTIC. :headspin::yay::yep:

I made a "tea" out of onion skins. This is not onion juice.

This is not using the inner flesh, but the crackly, dry outer skin. I used regular yellow onions.

Steep the skins in some boiling hot water enough to just cover the skins (I'm an eyeballer) Leave overnight. Strain spray in your hair.

I really was making this for my scalp for itching and shedding/growth but my hair is soft. As my mom says Dollie hair soft.

This is like the best thing I've found for softening in a while. Big deal for me, because it doesn't take much to strengthen my hair but few things really soften it and keep it that way.

Here's what it looks like:

Does it smell? A teeny bit. Nowhere close to onion juice :lol: easily masked with EOs/other prods.

I cannot take credit, there is a lovely lady on YT Roots45 Here is her video she makes many wonderful natural remedies. Here she makes a rinse and a tincture:

More importantly, Roots in the video says its a very effective anti-septic/fungal and DHT blocker. I had a major amount of stress related hair loss in this same area about 2 years ago. During that time I had a lot of scalp soreness in my crown, which is where I lost hair. I now know that crown soreness is a sign of CCCA (a type of alopecia). Even though its filling back in now, I still get soreness there when I'm stressed. This zaps the soreness. Completely.

This is a win-win. Hope someone else finds this useful!:rose::rose:

HHG :smile:

BeautifulRoots

Guys. Listen.

I'm not into creating hype, but I feel confident sharing this now. For the last 3 months I have been experimenting with onion skins and I can now say, it is FANTASTIC. :headspin::yay::yep:

This is not using the inner flesh, but the crackly, dry outer skin. I used regular yellow onions.

Steep the skins in some boiling hot water enough to just cover the skins (I'm an eyeballer) Leave overnight. Strain spray in your hair.

I really was making this for my scalp for itching and shedding/growth but my hair is soft. As my mom says Dollie hair soft.

This is like the best thing I've found for softening in a while. Big deal for me, because it doesn't take much to strengthen my hair but few things really soften it and keep it that way.

Does it smell? A teeny bit. Nowhere close to onion juice :lol: easily masked with EOs/other prods.

I cannot take credit, there is a lovely lady on YT Roots45 Here is her video she makes many wonderful natural remedies. Here she makes a rinse and a tincture:

More importantly, Roots in the video says its a very effective anti-septic/fungal and DHT blocker. I had a major amount of stress related hair loss in this same area about 2 years ago. During that time I had a lot of scalp soreness in my crown, which is where I lost hair. I now know that crown soreness is a sign of CCCA (a type of alopecia). Even though its filling back in now, I still get soreness there when I'm stressed. This zaps the soreness. Completely.

Thanks for sharing! I love roots4u45. Such a sweet lady with great hair recipes.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
I used these back in the day in high school. I learned it from my mom. Before produce quality went down, the co!or would be incredibly rich and gave me.gorgeous highlights. My hair was gorgeous then too. I have been meaning to get back to it. I tried it a few years back but was disgusted the skins did not produce the richness I remember.

I think I will go back to this, but look for organic onions.

Thanks OP!

water_n_oil

I remember Roots4u45. She has a ton of great recipes. I experienced stress related hair loss earlier this year so I'd be willing to try it out.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
This sounds like a fantastic addition to my "scalp stew" lol - tea and rice water spritz, cover with bag for 3 hours. Was looking for something to boost my current mix - I've been shedding SAVAGELY since 2015 :nono:
Hey amiga, did you get some onion skins? I know the feeling with the crazy shedding :kiss:but this really helps. Im sure youve heard of fenugreek as well. Thats another goodie :yep:

I tried rice water and tea but honestly they didn't do much for me.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I used these back in the day in high school. I learned it from my mom. Before produce quality went down, the co!or would be incredibly rich and gave me.gorgeous highlights. My hair was gorgeous then too. I have been meaning to get back to it. I tried it a few years back but was disgusted the skins did not produce the richness I remember.

I think I will go back to this, but look for organic onions.

Thanks OP!
Yes I love posts like this :smile: I love theseold school tried snd true remdies. And simple :yep: not 50-11 steps. Please let us know how you get on.

VinDieselsWifey

Did you try it?

On a similar note, I was reading your thread on your resoration journey really really beauiful to see.

May the Good Lord continue to bless you and restore you:rose::rose::rose:

Thanks so much!

I plan to use it tonight when I wash my braids. I didn't strain my skins yesterday either, they have been infusing in a glass jar since i added the hot water. :look:

I've been keeping my hair in mini Ms. Celie plaits under a wig since November. I have been trying to be consistent with spraying my scalp with X-cel 21 and following that with my Mega-tek/Moe-gro oil/MN mix. I've been neglecting them some weeks but washed & conditioned them Monday with my Ayurvedic teas, fenugreek, and seaweed. They feel much better. I will wash with my shikakai bar, condition, and use the onion tea as a final rinse.

VinDieselsWifey

So I washed and conditioned my braids. After rinsing out the conditioner I used the onion tea as my final rinse. I placed a shower cap on my head for about 20 minutes to let it soak into my braids. Then I let my hair air dry without adding any other product. At first while it was still damp, I didn't think it had done very much. My hair felt kinda soft, but nothing special. But once it was about 85%-90% dry, I felt my hair again and it felt VERY soft. It feels like I used a leave in conditioner. I like it! I can't wait to test this on my loose hair once I take my braids down.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
So I washed and conditioned my braids. After rinsing out the conditioner I used the onion tea as my final rinse. I placed a shower cap on my head for about 20 minutes to let it soak into my braids. Then I let my hair air dry without adding any other product. At first while it was still damp, I didn't think it had done very much. My hair felt kinda soft, but nothing special. But once it was about 85%-90% dry, I felt my hair again and it felt VERY soft. It feels like I used a leave in conditioner. I like it! I can't wait to test this on my loose hair once I take my braids down.
Yesss ! :yahoo:I'm so happy you like it. It soothes my scalp sooo much and the softness is an added bonus :weird:

LonDone

PS May 2017-???
Hey amiga, did you get some onion skins? I know the feeling with the crazy shedding :kiss:but this really helps. Im sure youve heard of fenugreek as well. Thats another goodie :yep:

I tried rice water and tea but honestly they didn't do much for me.

Yes ma'am I did!

Will be spritzing and baggying today :drunk:

I have the "Fenugreek is the business...stops shedding" thread open on my computer, I need to go to a particular part of town to get fenugreek but the aim is to make a pomade of sorts (oil-based but non-drip) fenugreek based with peppermint and rosemary EO's, rice water and tea.

I've gone from a 3 hour straightening at CBL-APL to 30 minutes straightening at BSL-MBL, that's how much hair I've lost. :cry3:

I have DEFINITELY seen a difference since I started spritzing in August 2019. My temples are filling in nicely (they're the struggle area, so I hope the rest of my hair is doing even better). My box braids roots are now the same thickness as the braid, instead of each section being a few thin strands :amen:

Four month bootcamp challenge starts today!

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Yes ma'am I did!

Will be spritzing and baggying today :drunk:

I have the "Fenugreek is the business...stops shedding" thread open on my computer, I need to go to a particular part of town to get fenugreek but the aim is to make a pomade of sorts (oil-based but non-drip) fenugreek based with peppermint and rosemary EO's, rice water and tea.

I've gone from a 3 hour straightening at CBL-APL to 30 minutes straightening at BSL-MBL, that's how much hair I've lost. :cry3:

I have DEFINITELY seen a difference since I started spritzing in August 2019. My temples are filling in nicely (they're the struggle area, so I hope the rest of my hair is doing even better). My box braids roots are now the same thickness as the braid, instead of each section being a few thin strands :amen:

Four month bootcamp challenge starts today!

:yay::yay::yay: I cannot wait for you to try it! and girl you need to get allllll up in that Fenugreek thread! It really is the business :yep:

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
Thanks!! :D :D I used it as a final rinse leaving it dry in my hair. Back in the day though, I used to take a big bowl and and swish my hair in it for awhile. I will try this again. I also want to add a little acv to see how that goes.

I never thought about using it as spray in between wash days until you ladies, so since I still have some, I will see how my hair likes it.

Whoop whoop! :clapping::clapping: :trampoline: you did it as a rinse or spray leave in?

Prisangela

Guys. Listen.

Thank you for this, I was just thinking I need to get back to Onion juice but this sounds and smells better and easier to add to my tea rinses :2inlove: