Only Mature Responses Please.

G

I say mature cause I don't want this to turn into a debate over whose better.

But Please look at the following links and note your observations. Do you think the difference is in methods or do you think it's genetics? Carolyns hair looks thin and scragly, while Cathy looks, fuller and healthly. This is not an insult in anyway, I'm just wondering if it's
Hair Type or Regime Method that makes the difference.

http://blackwomansguide.com/sys-tmpl/scrapbook/view.nhtml?profile=scrapbook&UID=10035

http://groups.msn.com/CHRISTIANCOUNSELING/theupperroom.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=8

I ask cause some days my hair looks full and other days it looks thin and scragly

And I pinning it down to certain products and methods, I'm so confused though when I use the curling iron to smooth like cathy says, my hair is thinner whearas hers if nice and fluffy, if I air dry like carolyn says, mine is bushy and frizzy and big whereas hers seems, straighter ?!!?!?!!?

Can this thing be pinned down to a sceince??

Karonica

I think it could be both. This is mind-boggling. But, Carolyn's hair overall looks straighter than Cathy's. So naturally, I would assume that the ends would be thinner than Cathy's as well. I dunno. I would love to hear some other answers.

auntybe

Mindy:

I think that hair type makes the biggest difference. I have noticed that my cousin and I have followed the same regime in the past and she has gotten breakage when I have gotten growth and vice versa. Her hair is not as coarse as mine, but my scalp is more sensitive.

G

Also, I wonder if Lye Vs No Lye comes into place. I believe Carolyn said she used Motions Lye? While Cathy uses Affirm No Lye.

Hmmm,

G

I've been trying to determine my hair type via Andre's systems but because I'm relaxed I can't tell.

I know that before I had relaxers, my hair was thick but not real, real, coarse .

My new growth if I don't put anything on my hair I can't get my fingers through it without it pullin.

Would that make me a 4?

azul11

Not too sure on that since many people have different reactions to both. Some people have found that no lye makes their hair dry and all the other problems mentioned on this site whereas lye had the opposite effect and vice versa. I dont know if it is one works better for the hair or the other because maybe with trial and error cathy found no lye was better for her and carolyn found lye was better. also there are different hair types and many people do not have thick hair. no matter what routine they use. so if they both used the same regime it wouldnt necessarily mean that their hair would look the same. the texture of the hair as well as the type of hair does come into play.
God bless you all.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
also there are different hair types and many people do not have thick hair. no matter what routine they use. so if they both used the same regime it wouldnt necessarily mean that their hair would look the same. the texture of the hair as well as the type of hair does come into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I think, too. The two women more than likely have different natural hair textures which is why their relaxed hair looks so different.

G

Your right azul, there are mixed responses, it seems that most swear by lye.

Karonica, why do you want to switch.?

As for me I only used the lye, maybe six months, which means 4 retouches so I got about 4-5 inches of lye and the rest no lye which would be the ends. I does look like the some of the ends are thicker, but I can't tell.

I was lookin at old pictures the other day and my hair wa so much fuller and thicker than now
but I know it's probably due to not taking care of the hair properly over the years.

Allandra

sassygirl125 said:
This is what I think, too. The two women more than likely have different natural hair textures which is why their relaxed hair looks so different.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Sassy girl here. It seems like the reason to me.

pebbles

I agree with Sassy girl here. It seems like the reason to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that also.

Karonica

I always have underprocessed hair with lye perms. I just dunno why.

And now that I do my own hair, I can't seem to find Exclusives in beauty stores, and that's the only lye relaxer that gives me decent results. It's not worth the stress. Motions is atrocious, and their protein conditioner turned my hair into brick.

I remember using Pink Lotion's no-lye in my hair as a youngster when my mom didn't want to give me hairdresser money and having good results. I might as well go back and try it again. I'll be perming it this Saturday hopefully, so you better believe I'll be taking pics!

churchlady

Karonica said:
Cathy is mixed?

Okay, I need a new hobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kar
IMO She looks mixed.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I don't know if she's biracial, but she says she has type 4 hair.

Most of the women in my family have long hair and they aren't biracial. My great grandmother was a Native American, though.

Crysdon

Cathy is obviously mixed race, therefore her hair would be thicker and most times longer than blacks who are not mixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now where did that come from?

Katrine

I actually think that Cathys hair looks scraggly and Carolyns looks like silk...

And I know a lot of caucasians with very very thin and fine hair...but maybe you meant mixed with asian? or actually I have no idea what you meant....

Crysdon

And I know a lot of caucasians with very very thin and fine hair...but maybe you meant mixed with asian? or actually I have no idea what you meant....

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee

My opinion is they both have long hair so that contributes to healthy hair. Hair that is not healthy will not grow in length because of constant breakage. However, I also believe hair texture have a lot to do with it. Carolyn may have fine hair vs. Cathy may have thick textured hair. Either way they both have nice length hair in which I'm trying to acheive and will.

G

Well judging from the countless hair photos I've been glued to for the past month,, I'd say Carols hair is ladened with oil.... lol.. Its got that 4A oil slick look to it...

Cathys hair in that picture looks like she either air dyed it and wraped it. or blow dryed it giving her a more natural healthy appearance.

Personally I don't think mixture plays a big role in hair growth.. everyone has the ability to grow their hair at least 3feet.... they just need to learn how to care for the texture hair they have

Honi

There is no board.
Cathy does not look mixed to me. I know many of us African Americans have some sort of mixture combo in the genes but by the time it got to Cathy it was just a smidgen!

I think the difference is maybe due to the two different textures as well as regimens, products, etc. Carolyn uses no heat on her hair whatsoever so that may be the reason her hair's appearance and texture looks like that. Cathy's uses heat and her own products right?

Both have wonderful lengths and how you attain it is really individually tailored for you. This is the reason we are on the boards which is to experiment and find out what works for our own heads.

hairfanatic

Personally I don't think mixture plays a big role in hair growth.. everyone has the ability to grow their hair at least 3feet.... they just need to learn how to care for the texture hair they have

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It's all about learning your hair, getting a good routine and preventing breakage..and the proof is with many ladies on this forum.

marabou1

Churchlady:

I'm Haitian and that is a misconception about Haitians not being mixed. There are so many mixed haitians, you'd be surprised. I don't know what part of Haiti you visited, but Haiti is still a little segregated in some ways. Meaning, there are areas in Haiti where the majority who live there have very light skin.

There are many Haitians in Haiti who are:

Italian-Haitian
French-Haitian
Dominican-Haitian

etc.

I don't want to go into the history of Haiti to explain why because it's off the topic here and it's a looooong story!

G

Churchlady??

She is not Mixed.

But I have a niece that's mixed and chickies hair is nappy as I don't know what. So that's definitely not a factor.

sweetcocoa

sassygirl125 said:
also there are different hair types and many people do not have thick hair. no matter what routine they use. so if they both used the same regime it wouldnt necessarily mean that their hair would look the same. the texture of the hair as well as the type of hair does come into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with sassygirl...
There is no way you can compare the 2.
What works for one may not work for the other...
We all have our good and bad days...there is genetics...there really is no 'right' or 'wrong' way....
Trying to figure out whose method will work with your hair is not fool proof. I think you have to find your own method and products.