Opening up a Beauty Supply Store despite Korean Domination

nrock

There was one here in MD that focused on natural hair care. Most black owned. I loved that place. I went all the time and was able to try new lines without dealing w shipping and handling. About a year in, they closed shop. The owner said people didn't want to pay for high end natural products like a lot df us hair obsessed ladies do. They'd rather go to their drug store and get some Cantu or something similar (nothing wrong w that but the price point and quality is not same). She also told me that the natural hair product makers were notoriously late sending their orders, never sent enough, and the shelf life was shorter so if product didn't sell, she lost money.

I was sad to see her close. I wish there was a way for us to take back our stuff!
If you're referring to the store in White Oak, that makes two of us! I'm still sick over it closing.:sad:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
virtuenow I saw that. :yep: There doesn't seem to be many black BSS alternatives out there. Can we get a group going for research in their city and/or state? Black BSS are few and far between (we know the reason why too) :angry2: so often ppl may not have many choices...

Nine

I would love to see more Black owned BSS. I went to a new Korean BSS today and a Korean lady greeted me and said "Welcome to our store. We won't follow you around the store. You don't have to worry about that here."

I really don't know how to feel about that statement. But I know that will be my last time going to any Korean BSS.

virtuenow

I would love to see more Black owned BSS. I went to a new Korean BSS today and a Korean lady greeted me and said "Welcome to our store. We won't follow you around the store. You don't have to worry about that here."

I really don't know how to feel about that statement. But I know that will be my last time going to any Korean BSS.

Nine these are the kind of experiences I'm talking about. We do not have to tolerate this. I wish there was a way to convince other black women that we do deserve better. I went into an Asian BSS and they did not say ONE WORD to me. They just stared, and watch me closely. I said, "Hello"...Still not a word from them. It was completely disgusting. I spinned around, and strutted out the door, w/my head high and shoulders back. I scoffed in their direction just as I turned the corner out the door. And with that, I was done. We have so many other alternatives for getting tools & hair. I say tools, b/c that is the only thing I was still willing to purchase there (combs/brush/hair pins etc). I said buh-bye to their PRODUCTS a long time ago. Cheap, artificial, slop ingredients, no thanks!
@virtuenow I saw that. :yep: There doesn't seem to be many black BSS alternatives out there. Can we get a group going for research in their city and/or state? Black BSS are few and far between (we know the reason why too) :angry2: so often ppl may not have many choices...

Yes, It's time for us to put the work in and begin this. We can take the black hair industry back (one Asian BSS at a time!). :yep:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint

o_O really though?

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Lila25

Below is an article that seemed interesting regarding how African Americans interested in owning beauty supply stores and becoming distributors can go about creating a business plan.

http://www.atoast2wealth.com/2012/0...beauty-supply-stores-and-become-millionaires/

Note: I would also consider doing what the Asian/Korean community does...they hire one or two African Americans to work the register...this practice may have given folks in the African American community the impression for many years that those stores were owned by us....

Consider hiring a Korean as your front person to run your business....if not Korean, japanese, phillapino etc...this would be a front person, or "buyer" for your store...you would have to make it clear that your race is not to be discussed as the owner while doing business...

There are a number of successful businesses owned by people you would never suspect are the owners because they hire other races or ethnicities to be the "front" person...hey, if someone doesn't want to look at my black face...no problem....give them what they want to look at...your still the owner..

Best wishes in your business endeavor!!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Below is an article that seemed interesting regarding how African Americans interested in owning beauty supply stores and becoming distributors can go about creating a business plan.

http://www.atoast2wealth.com/2012/0...beauty-supply-stores-and-become-millionaires/

Note: I would also consider doing what the Asian/Korean community does...they hire one or two African Americans to work the register...this practice may have given folks in the African American community the impression for many years that those stores were owned by us....

Consider hiring a Korean as your front person to run your business....if not Korean, japanese, phillapino etc...this would be a front person, or "buyer" for your store...you would have to make it clear that your race is not to be discussed as the owner while doing business...

There are a number of successful businesses owned by people you would never suspect are the owners because they hire other races or ethnicities to be the "front" person...hey, if someone doesn't want to look at my black face...no problem....give them what they want to look at...your still the owner..

Thanks Lila25 that was one of the strategies that I was thinking about using. :yep:

southerncitygirl

I would beat them at their own game and carry all the natural hair product lines that they usually don't sell. I would carry few lines that are mainstream beauty supply store items. I would make it like a small boutique as opposed to a traditional beauty supply. I would also have an online shoppe.

MystiqueBabe

I said this in another thread but I find it hard to believe that Koreans own the whole weave market. A simple google search will lead to countless suppliers that you can buy from that aren't Korean. Or did I miss something?

SuchaLady

I said this in another thread but I find it hard to believe that Koreans own the whole weave market. A simple google search will lead to countless suppliers that you can buy from that aren't Korean. Or did I miss something?

My favorite weave vendor is black. But I just recently discovered their supplier is Asian :ohwell: with an even lower markup :rolleyes: so now I'm sitting here looking like now what?

shelli4018

I've always thought it would be a great idea to market natural hair products via network marketing. Kind of like Avon. But without the funky pyramid scheme vibe most mlm's have. I'm talking Madame CJ Walker sales ladies vibes. I'm more likely to buy higher priced quality products IF I'm educated about them. The personal relationship established by your salesforce would achieve that.

So yeah, I would probably look at something with low overhead and custom or natural products. Train a handful of folk in different areas of the country and see how it goes. Of course you'd need products to distribute and/or recipes one can create on demand.

swirl

IG: rhonda_hair
i wrote a business plan for a bss a few years ago but could not make the numbers work. main problem was that i did not want to sell hair and secondly, the type of products i wanted to focus on had a very small profit margin. incidently, my local bss NOW sells the type of products i wanted to sell (for more than they cost online smh). i hope you can make it work. there is definitely a need and a market.

spelmanlocks

This is so true. My cousin owns three nail shops and has Asians working in them.

spelmanlocks

@spelmanlocks that is awesome! Is the nail market the same as the BSS in the way black people are usually blocked out of it?

Froreal3 Yes, they are. He used an Asian family member to get connections. But there is also a black owned nail salon by me. I've never been in but they were giving out flyers that said black owned on them. So it can be done.

Sosa

Just popped in to say...Good luck Op, if you decide to do this!
I hate that our people are being exploited like this. I pray you find success and help open the door for many other aspiring black bss owners behind you:yep:. Our community needs more people like you.
It's time we get a decent slice of the 'black hair care' pie!