Opinion wanted: Is it possible?

Jaelin

Is it possible that the chemicals from a relaxer caused so much damage that it was/is affecting me so many years later? :perplexed

Quoting from my journal:

Surge "Flakes: I am experiencing this but it's not the regular dandruff flakes that I've had in the past. It's skin. Dried skin. It's only in two spots now: the right temple and the back of my head (nape??). It's very noticeable at the right temple. Before washing on Sun. I spent a good while trying to lift the skin off my scalp and then brush it out. The first time I noticed flakes, the left temple also had them but they did not re-occur after I washed my hair that week.

I think it's significant that those spots at the temple were tender when I first used surge and they're the ones that were burned in the past by relaxers. I knew that they had sustained damage because my hair was always thinner in those two spots after, and didn't change that much when I switched to natural/texturized, but the improvement that I'm getting from surge (at the right temple especially) is making me wonder if I should have gone to a dermatologist back then. Of course I didn't know anything about hair back then. Now the nape situation baffles me. I can't remember a specific incident of burning, but then again my scalp was always sensitive, there was always a spot that started to feel like it was burning when I went to the salon for a touch-up. The temple stands out to me because when it happened it was way more painful than normal. For something that I did for almost five/six years, I can't believe that I'm still dealing with the after effects on my scalp almost a decade after stopping (if it's the reason why)."

My hair has only started to grow (or maybe I should say, retained lenght for me to notice) at the back of my head since last august. The two spots at the temple had filled in some with temple balm, but the difference from four weeks of using surge is just wonderful. I tried to document but I don't think my photos really show the difference.

Miosy

Jaelin said:
Is it possible that the chemicals from a relaxer caused so much damage that it was/is affecting me so many years later? :perplexed

Quoting from my journal:

Surge "Flakes: I am experiencing this but it's not the regular dandruff flakes that I've had in the past. It's skin. Dried skin. It's only in two spots now: the right temple and the back of my head (nape??). It's very noticeable at the right temple. Before washing on Sun. I spent a good while trying to lift the skin off my scalp and then brush it out. The first time I noticed flakes, the left temple also had them but they did not re-occur after I washed my hair that week.

I think it's significant that those spots at the temple were tender when I first used surge and they're the ones that were burned in the past by relaxers. I knew that they had sustained damage because my hair was always thinner in those two spots after, and didn't change that much when I switched to natural/texturized, but the improvement that I'm getting from surge (at the right temple especially) is making me wonder if I should have gone to a dermatologist back then. Of course I didn't know anything about hair back then. Now the nape situation baffles me. I can't remember a specific incident of burning, but then again my scalp was always sensitive, there was always a spot that started to feel like it was burning when I went to the salon for a touch-up. The temple stands out to me because when it happened it was way more painful than normal. For something that I did for almost five/six years, I can't believe that I'm still dealing with the after effects on my scalp almost a decade after stopping (if it's the reason why)."

My hair has only started to grow (or maybe I should say, retained lenght for me to notice) at the back of my head since last august. The two spots at the temple had filled in some with temple balm, but the difference from four weeks of using surge is just wonderful. I tried to document but I don't think my photos really show the difference.

I'm not sure exactly what you are experiencing but my girlfriend had a similar problem and she went to one of those hair clubs because she wanted to know why her hair was thinning and some areas like the temple were bald.

They took a picture of her scalp and basically she had damaged follicles from the relaxer and tight pulling of the hair. She also had a lot of debris on her scalp that prevent the healthy hair from growing in correctly . They recommended that she clarify her scalp often and told her to buy something similar to rogaine. Her hair is getting better now :)

HTH

oglorious1

Mixologist
You need to use some type of oil before you spray that Surge, many people on the board experienced the same thing, spray your hair and not your scalp, I always oil first then spray, or dilute in some Sta Sof Fro.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I dont know if that is the cause of your problems but our bodies are amazing and can take a lot of abuse and hold on to substances for years. I watched a show once with Dr. Don Colbert. He is a Christian author of several health books. He said that he put a woman on a cleanse once and after several days a bluish or black heart shaped mark appeared on her thigh. Apparently in highschool 15 years or so earlier she used to habitually draw a heart there on the thigh of her jeans in blue or black ink. Her body had absorbed the ink and was releasing it. He also told of a painter who did a cleanse and after a sauna leaned up agains the wall and he had enough chemicals in his system escaping to affect the wall he was leaning against and make the paint wet. I cant remember if it was actual paint or chemicals his body was releasing. Is it possible you can still have the effects of chemcials? I believe so but it could be something simple like those areas being sensitive in the first place.

deedabug

Enchantmt said:
I dont know if that is the cause of your problems but our bodies are amazing and can take a lot of abuse and hold on to substances for years. I watched a show once with Dr. Don Colbert. He is a Christian author of several health books. He said that he put a woman on a cleanse once and after several days a bluish or black heart shaped mark appeared on her thigh. Apparently in highschool 15 years or so earlier she used to habitually draw a heart there on the thigh of her jeans in blue or black ink. Her body had absorbed the ink and was releasing it. He also told of a painter who did a cleanse and after a sauna leaned up agains the wall and he had enough chemicals in his system escaping to affect the wall he was leaning against and make the paint wet. I cant remember if it was actual paint or chemicals his body was releasing. Is it possible you can still have the effects of chemcials? I believe so but it could be something simple like those areas being sensitive in the first place.

:eek: very interesting

Jaelin

oglorious1 said:
You need to use some type of oil before you spray that Surge, many people on the board experienced the same thing, spray your hair and not your scalp, I always oil first then spray, or dilute in some Sta Sof Fro.

I'll try this out. I've got a little more than half a bottle of wonder 8 oil that I haven't used for a year. This could be one way for me to finish it.

Jaelin

Miosy said:
basically she had damaged follicles from the relaxer and tight pulling of the hair. She also had a lot of debris on her scalp that prevent the healthy hair from growing in correctly . They recommended that she clarify her scalp often and told her to buy something similar to rogaine. Her hair is getting better now :) HTH
Seeing the difference I am having just from adding one product, is making me think that I totally had/have damaged follicles in those spots and I could have perhaps done something about it sooner. I'm not upset though because I didn't know any better and I'm just happy that it's growing in now.