Opinions - Lye/No Lye Switch Back or not?

Cowgirl

Ladies - to make a long depressing story somewhat short............

I had been using Affirm lye relaxer for several years and had worked out my hair issues, was on a good regimen with staple products and was finally past bra strap length.

About 6 months ago my stylist switched my relaxer from Affirm lye to Mizani no lye without telling me. After the relaxer I started experiencing breakage almost immediately. Every combing session resulted in more and more hair on the floor. I went back for a wash/conditioner about two weeks later and told her about all the breakage and asked if she had done something different or used an old relaxer etc....because my hair just didn't "feel" right. She then told me she had run out of Affirm and substituted the Mizani............(furious with her does not even begin to explain the feelings I experienced.)

Fast forward.... I decided over the next 2 relaxers to stick with the Mizani because I was afraid to switch back thinking things would only get worse. But after all this time I still cannot get the breakage under control. My hair has gone from a few inches below bra strap to arm pit length because I've had to keep cutting and cutting to do away with see through ends.

I have tried everything, protein treatments and then moisture, moisture, moisture.......deep conditioning weekly......moisturizing and bagging at night...but the breakage will not stop.

I am due for my next relaxer this weekend. Will not be going back to the same stylist........she has been fired from my roster.......... The questions are:

1.) should I switch back to the Affirm lye or stick with the no lye and keep trying to find a solution to the breakage?

2.) If I switch back to the Affirm, should I do a corrective on the "no lye" sections to see if that will help with the breakage.

Thanks ladies.

Chameleonchick

Personally I would switch back to lye....but I don't know about going over the no-lye again. I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

Cowgirl

Thanks Chameleon. I think that's the direction I'm leaning in, but need to make up my mind tonight.

MonaLisa

I just came running when I saw Cowgirl... *waving*

Sorry this happened to you...good luck with your decision, you have made so much progress - you will make it through this set back..

:hug2:

serenity326

I would say stick with what works for you...

I found that when I was relaxed, no-lye was definitely right for me... The lye relaxers were too harsh and got my hair much straighter than I liked it...

When I switched (from no-lye, to lye, and then back to no-lye), I could feel the difference in each portion of my hair that was relaxed with one relaxer or the other.

I would say switch back, and don't EVER left some heffer do the switcheroo on you again! (the fact that she did that is just EVIL, imo)