Our Hair Overseas

CurlyMoo

Ladies and Gentlemen,

What reactions do you receive when you are traveling or living abroad/overseas? I'm curious as to how the world sees our hair and how they react to it.

I noticed that here in America long healthy hair on a Black women is something that produces anything form awe, pride, envy, jealousy to suspicion. I would like to know if there are places that don't have that same suspicion i.e. weave checks. :look:

When I visited Germany I received nice complements. I went to a public restroom and an elderly German lady spoke to me in German. I told her I didn't speak German so she proceeded to tell me in English that I had beautiful hair, as she reached up and lightly stroked a loose tendril. I loved it! :grin:

My German male host told me that although my hair looked like it would feel hard it was actually very soft and smooth. He said he had never felt so much smoothness. :grin:

He also thought the curls at the back of my neck (kitchen) were so cute. I was embarrassed when he proceeded to play with them and I kind of jerked away from him. Was not used to being told that part of my hair was cute. I was raised to believe that was the worst part of our hair.

In Germany and Cuba I felt free and feminine with my hair, I had no worries someone would come up to me and ask if it was real or give me the stink eye. Nor did I feel weird.

However, in England I was very self conscious because of the soggy weather. I could not hold a style and it was always puffed up and frizzy.

I will post more if I remember something else.

Okay your turn, what are your stories? :grin: Don't forget to post the country you are from and where you visited.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I'm Angolan but have lived in Belgium for the past 20 years. White Belgians love my hair, they usually compliment me on it. Even when I was in (junior) high school and was relaxed, they always complimented my hair. It's another story with the black folks here, my own sister thinks I look unkempt.

Aviah

I get similar responses depending on where I am I think.

When I'm in NY, no one says anything to me about hair unless I know them already. People might be side eyeing me but I'm usually too oblivious to notice.

While in London I've gotten stares with my hair out. But then people in my area just like to stare anyway so I don't know what that's about...

While in Spain, no one seemed to bat an eyelid (where I was women in their 50s and 60s had their boobs out anyway, what's a fro?)

In Poland people just seemed to be stunned by the fact that we were there (a very remote place), I don't know if they even got to the hair lol!

But overall I can't say I get a hugely different reception wherever I have been. I get similar good responses from different races though. Others just stare, not sure if its awe or something else...

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Lol, I'll probably have my hair out next time I go to to London. Last time I went to London & Paris, my hair was braided up ad no one batted an eye. I didn't trust overseas salons to know how to do a wash n set w/ a Dominican blow out. Around that time it was between APL & BSL, but relaxed...I don't know that anyone would have paid attention to it anyway.

Mahogony7

I'm from new York but I live in Japan. They are always in awe in whatever way I style it. They sometimes think my wigs are my real hair too. Some people can be a little touchy feely and may proceed to stroke it and I politely smile. Over here they really don't know better sometimes. My boss loves playing with it a little too much.

DirectorChic

I like this thread.

This just let's us know that our hair is not an ugly brillo monster we've been told. The parts of our hair we've been made to feel ashamed of, (the kitchen) others don't find ugly. To go deeper....allow yourself to be adored...don't shy away from it. I think black women need to know what it is like to be admired without hesitation. It seems white women expect it and if not they find it problematic.

Just be naturally you where ever you go.:drunk:

Blyss_curls

Sorry I don't have an overseas experience to share. But wanted to share my thoughts on hair while watching the Olympics. :grin:

I saw some gorgeous locs, kinks, fros, curly fros, puffs and curls on many heads. Many were performers, and I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that they had to reside in the UK. Given the weather conditions (massive fog), I'm even more impressed that I saw such gorgeous hair--as I know it was not easy for them to keep those looks.

But I was SO excited to see so many women, men and children of color representing beautiful, natural hair in the Olympics pre and post shows...!
Way to represent UK--Thank you!

Last edited:

Blyss_curls

I like this thread.

This just let's us know that our hair is not an ugly brillo monster we've been told. The parts of our hair we've been made to feel ashamed of, (the kitchen) others don't find ugly. To go deeper....allow yourself to be adored...don't shy away from it. I think black women need to know what it is like to be admired without hesitation. It seems white women expect it and if not they find it problematic.

Thanks not enough for the bold above. :grin:
I was always surprised (here in the states) when wearing braids and natural styles to obtain way more compliments than I ever did w/relaxed hair.

But growing up, we were all taught it was ugly and wrong. To get to the salon w/a quickness and make it go away. I get that it was a part of assimilation and just trying to do what we had to, to fit in--be accepted as part of the larger culture.

I'm just so thrilled to see how things have FINALLY started to change.
When I open magazines or glance at covers and see natural hair featured...this is huge! Never saw that growing up. :nono:

Angelicus

I'm from the US:

People from Japan think I am bald because they never see my real hair (wigs, braids). I used to be self-conscious but now I could care less.... I am protecting my hair and if they want to see my real hair they can log on FB to gawk at it.

CurlsOnFire23

The Germans LOVE my hair. They love it and always say "ooh I wish my hair could do that" or "how do you get your hair to curl up like that?" lol they love how I come to work with short hair one day then long hair the next. They even told me which styles they like the most and why ^__^ they prefer my short natural hair and long straight hair comes to a close second.

Mz.MoMo5235

From the US. In India they didnt give a rats behind about my length lol. As for texture, they prefer straight hair even though most of them actually have naturally curly hair. If your hair is not straight you should flat iron, and when it reverts, brush the curl out :look:

I wont lie though, the men loved my hair because it was so different but had trouble expressing it properly sometimes (They are an odd group out there).

I also live in a military town so all the German wives LOVE my hair. From what I've heard and from what I'm reading, the whole country seems to be like that. We had a 70's day at work one time so I brushed out all my curls and those German women loved it and wondered why I didn’t do my hair like that everyday lol.

nisemac

I've been in Beijing for over a year now and its pretty much been compliments or stares of curiosity. while growing out my twa, i and alternated between full wigs, half wigs, and pony tails. Like Mahogany7, most think the fake hair is my hair. i stopped wearing them once i got a decent puff and it was "you cut your hair". i've had questions like, "how do you get the curls so tiny?" or, what kind of perm is it?" Then they ask if its natural, and when I say yes, they say how lucky i am. they're also amazed with shrinkage.

I haven't had anyone try to touch yet--since there is no personal space, you have people get extremely close and sneak a peak, or do the side eye stare.

I've had more incidents of europeans and other americans commenting or trying to touch.

CurlyMoo

Great stories ladies, keep them coming.

I just remembered during my trip to London my sister and I came across two Egyptian guys at Round Pond at Princess Di's residence. We immediately started talking. We talked so long about politics we didn't notice it getting dark, I thought it's ok they have night lights. WRONG! It was pitch black. We had to depend on traffic lights outside of the park to see our way through. An equally confused couple told us that the exit was at the other end. We wouldn't make it, so all 4 of us decided to head toward the fence to jump it. As we are walking toward the fence, one of the guys turns to me and says, "You know your hair is REALLY curly." I said, "Yeah, it does that." :look:

Dominicanatural

In Singapore people just kind of looked at my hair in confusion. I spent most of my time there in medium sized twists because the humidity was ridiculous. I was stopped on multiple occasions by Indian Singaporeans and asked where I was from. When I replied Dominican Republic (because that's what they were really asking) they visibly relaxed and said, "That's why your hair is coarse!" Mystery solved. I found Indian Singaporeans with darker skin tones than my own really liked it, while Chinese Singaporeans just looked up at me (because I was tall in comparison) with surprise--I think that was just a race thing.

I went back home (DR) a couple months ago, the first time since my BC and my family expressed mixed reviews. My surrogate mom (aunt) was basically like, you're never going to get ahead in life. She and my cousin literally spent five minute finger combing out a twist out because they had never seen hair like mine on a grown woman in close proximity before. Then she spent the month i was there pointing out every natural woman she saw, "Look, her hair is like yours!" No, completely different texture, density, pattern, but I would smile and nod. The rest of my family was really positive about my hair actually, but didn't feel it was for them. Strangers just acted like they didn't care-which is how it should be, in my opinion.

waffigrl

I was in Nigeria this summer and alternatingly wore my hair in twistouts, and wash-and-gos pulled back in a puff. My hair is around 6 inches long, with a short tapered cut on the back and sides.

No one really said much about it, as my boss also had natural hair (though she's mixed).
But one guy did ask me when I was planning to "cook" my hair (he was obviously a guy guy lol). But since I talk (apparently) with an American accent (Americans think I sound Nigerian), most people thought that explained my hair.

But I did witness some women berating this girl for having short natural hair. She was in an antenatal clinic, and these nurses were wondering how she could have a man who impregnated her given the state of her hair o_O.

Nigerians never mind their business (i'm Nigerian lol), but I think if you are "foreign" it explains your hair. If you're Nigerian, your hair should be braided up in a style. I get it because it's the culture there that the more wealth you have the more intricate and fancy your braided styles, and that unbraided hair often means you're too poor to get your hair done nicely...but still they went ham on that girl (and boo was preggo too).

Blyss_curls

I've been in Beijing for over a year now and its pretty much been compliments or stares of curiosity. while growing out my twa, i and alternated between full wigs, half wigs, and pony tails. Like Mahogany7, most think the fake hair is my hair. i stopped wearing them once i got a decent puff and it was "you cut your hair". i've had questions like, "how do you get the curls so tiny?" or, what kind of perm is it?" Then they ask if its natural, and when I say yes, they say how lucky i am. they're also amazed with shrinkage.

I haven't had anyone try to touch yet--since there is no personal space, you have people get extremely close and sneak a peak, or do the side eye stare.

I've had more incidents of europeans and other americans commenting or trying to touch.

nisemac
Wigs?
I understand wanting some versatility (been there, w/a twa)...

But your hair is SO gorgeous, and really accents your face well. I hope you'll wear it out (proudly) often. It looks good on you--really!

ubavka123

I live in eastern europe and have been here many years. Most women here have long hair and it is considered an essential part of a woman's beauty and identity. As far as reactions to my hair, the most frequent question I get is how did I get it so straight and how long does it take to straighten it. I also get asked how long it is because it is always in a protective style. I had a setback (too frequent run-ins with the blowdryer--should have known better, uggh!) so I am not letting it down until I get back to apl.

As far as length, they don't even know what effort it takes to maintain relaxed hair and everyone here has apl to mbl and beyond so it is pretty much taken for granted. Hair for us is a much bigger deal in the states. Foreigners don't have the awareness of our complexes and issues regarding good hair and bad hair, blah, blah and quite frankly, many a time I have been scolded over here because I alter my natural hair which they are just dying to see! Yeah, but I am not ready for that yet. ;-) Now, that being said, I had a friend with a twa who was beautiful. In the local language, they said she was ugly because she had no hair. So, natural, relaxed, curly, straight--where I am, beauty means you have a lot of hair on your head and some length to boot. The type is irrelevant. And yes, they touch a lot and there is no warning. I have just learned to deal...

nisemac

@nisemac
Wigs?
I understand wanting some versatility (been there, w/a twa)...

But your hair is SO gorgeous, and really accents your face well. I hope you'll wear it out (proudly) often. It looks good on you--really!

i wore wigs last winter. at the time, i was just figuring out the dry air, hard water damage that ravaged my hair and it seemed to be the only way to protect it.

i did the top knot hidden in a ponytail for most of the summer before BC'ing last month. i had so much damage. my damage had damage. but i think i know better now. if not, i'll just keep it short.

and thanks for the compliment!

spelmanlocks

When I was in Australia on study abroad people were really fascinated by my hair. I usually wore an afro puff and one evening I wore it out in a big curly fro with a band on it and people were very surprised. One of my Asian guy friends there was in love with my hair also.

30something

Great thread :grin:

I find it interesting that our hair type has probably existed since the first few human generations but yet it seems so odd and intriguing to some as if it is something from out of this world. I can understand the fascination :yep:...

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I like this thread.

I've been noticing this lately.

laurend

When I was in France they didn't even notice. In Colombia, they look but they didn't say anything nice or mean. In the Dominic Republic, they looked and laughed at my hair. You know how they feel in the DR.