Out of Braid Regimen!!!!

julzinha

Hey,

I was thinking that when I take out my braid extension I always follow a very specific regimen to ensure that my hair is at its healthiest before I go back into braids about a week later. I was thinking we should share our out of braid regimens to help each other and those considering doing braid extensions and what they should do after!!

*I prepoo with an oil mix of coconut oil, olive oil, and Vatika Oil
*divide into sections with butterfly clamps then I clarify with VO5 Kiwi Clarifying Shampoo,
*then I follow with a moisturizing shampoo Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo (AMAZING!!),
*then I apply a reconstructor (Aphogee 2min) for 5min under a plastic cap, and detangle with a Jilbere Shower Comb(amazing :grin:)and my denman brush (even more amazing :grin::grin:),
*then i put on a plastic cap and wet a small towel and place in the microwave for 7 min and place on top of my cap then another cap on top(makeshift heat cap)
*then I do a moisturizing deep condition with a homemade mix, Shescentit Banana Brulee, Silk Elements Megasilk Treatment, Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose, or Aubrey Organics White Camellia and do the same heat cap routine for at least one hour
*then finally an ACV rinse under cool water
*then I dry my hair with an old t shirt, then moisturize with a leave in (I would really like to try Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Cream) and seal with castor oil
*then I thread my hair in 6 or 7 sections (Im African) and this really stretches my hair without heat and is a great protective style while my hair is out

I know this sounds like ALOT but any person that gets braid extensions with only a week maximum in between installs needs as much strength and moisture as possible while the hair is out! So i try to make sure my hair is detangled, strong, and moisturized before it goes back in!

Any ladies that get braid extensions should feel free to share their out of braid regimen or we can ask each other questions

Last edited:
sounds good to me, this is similar to what I did when I took out my braids, and my hair is very healthy :) good luck girl

I usually leave my hair out for longer between braids, and I like to keep things really simple.

1. right after my braids are out I usually wash with a clarifying shampoo.
2. then on to Aphogee 2 step
3. deep moisturizing condition with something soft and creamy using heat
That's it. I usually blow dry once before my hair is braided again just to check length. When in braids I dc weekly with heat and co wash as needed. I apply moisturizer to my braids and castor oil to my edges and a few slow growth spots on my scalp. Since I concentrate on moisture when in braids, I work on protein when my braids are out.

Julieangel, what kind of thread do you use to stretch your hair, and do you buy it in the DMV? I've been interested in trying this.

Julieangel, what kind of thread do you use to stretch your hair, and do you buy it in the DMV? I've been interested in trying this.

When I was younger my mom would use a special type of thread, i don't know where she got it, but probably from from of the african stores it was really durable and shiny it came on a small cardboard the size of a pack of matches. But since then I just do it my self with any thread like the ones for sewing but they have to be strong.

I use ones like these but in black thread.

Last edited:
Here's my OOB reggie:

1. Spray Mane and Tail Detangler liberally all over hair and gently comb through. Saturate hair with oils (I've been using Proclaim Natural 7 Oil) and pre-poo for at least 30 minutes.
2. Rinse hair and shampoo using Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo and rinse. Follow with Aphogee 2 minute for 5 minutes, etangling in shower using shower comb and rinse.
3. Apply Silicon Mix or Torque Emergencia conditioner and DC for 1 hour without heat. Rinse and apply Roux Porosity Control for 1 minute and rinse with cold water.
4. Apply leave ins (Aphogee Green Tea, Lacio Lacio, and a little Natural 7 Oil)
5. Let air dry about 70-80% and then blow dry using Silk Elements Olive Oil Heat Protectant and GVP Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum
6. Flat iron to check length then wrap and cover with silk scarf.

When I was younger my mom would use a special type of thread, i don't know where she got it, but probably from from of the african stores it was really durable and shiny it came on a small cardboard the size of a pack of matches. But since then I just do it my self with any thread like the ones for sewing but they have to be strong.

I use ones like these but in black thread.

What exactly is threading? How do you do it?

Back